Maths programming (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I'm looking at doing a Bachelor of Commerce + Bachelor of Maths/Computer Sciences when I go to uni next year.

I'm doing well in all aspects of calculus, statistics and economics and the cut I'll get without trying.

The thing is the computer programming part of the maths course, since most quantative jobs require extensive use of spreedsheets and such I have figured I might aswell do a double degree in maths rather then a minor in my last year of commerce.

Is Maths programming (java?) hard for those who have no programming backgrounds?

HSC
in maths degrees you will probably do C or C++ or something similar and use a fair few maths/stats programs. its obviously an advantage to have a background in programming but its not necessary. it definitely helps to be good at maths because programming does requires systematic/logical thinking.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Studentleader said:
I'm looking at doing a Bachelor of Commerce + Bachelor of Maths/Computer Sciences when I go to uni next year.

I'm doing well in all aspects of calculus, statistics and economics and the cut I'll get without trying.

The thing is the computer programming part of the maths course, since most quantative jobs require extensive use of spreedsheets and such I have figured I might aswell do a double degree in maths rather then a minor in my last year of commerce.

Is Maths programming (java?) hard for those who have no programming backgrounds?
You'll practically have to study your ass off constantly. This was the case with me. I had 0 programming knowledge in C, C++, or Java, when i started uni, but i made it. I think that you will be alright, just study well :)

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
I am asking 3unitz, as he just started uni like 4 weeks ago and says he knows java. If he is referring to high school java, cause high school is like nothin compared to uni.

Also ive used matlab before but i didnt know it had java stuff, all i did was data signalling.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
yeah just at uni couple weeks ago. i was a bit worried about programming too, but its been pretty easy so far. i dont 'know java' but i can keep up with lectures and assignments.
Programming only gets harder. You said earlier u learn't java in a couple of weeks??

>Back to programming i have to do weekly assignments in lab, which is the worst thing as im given little time and cannot plan before hand.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
So is it kinda like graphics calculator programming or more using statistics programs?

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
what programming language does a graphics calculator use??

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Heres an example

======SUMDICE ======
Lbl 1Σ
ClrTextΣ
"FIRST NUMBER"?áAΣ
If Int (A)¨A Or (A<1) Or (A>10)Σ
Then "MUST BE AN INTEGER"Σ
"BETWEEN 1 AND 10."ª
Goto 1Σ
IfEndΣ
Lbl 2Σ
ClrTextΣ
"SECOND NUMBER"?áBΣ
If Int (B)¨B Or (B<1) Or (B>10)Σ
Then "MUST BE AN INTEGER"Σ
"BETWEEN 1 AND 10."ª
Goto 2Σ
IfEndΣ
"A£B IS"Σ
A£BáCª
CáDim List 1Σ
"SIMULATION RESULTS"Σ
For 1áZ To CΣ
Int (6Ran#)+1áMΣ
Int (6Ran#)+1áNΣ
M+NáSΣ
SáList 1[Z]Σ
NextΣ
SortA(List 1)Σ
"COMPLETE"Σ
"PRESS MENU 2"Σ
Martin

Affinity

HSC
really depends on what you do exactly... on one end you ahve hard core numerical computing in C++ and on the other end some easy peasy spreadsheet work..

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
really depends on what you do exactly... on one end you ahve hard core numerical computing in C++ and on the other end some easy peasy spreadsheet work..
So is it all complexed functions and stuff? Just make something then put in heaps of numbers to get your output?

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
No requires inputs,outputs,statements,conditons...................

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
It all depends on what programming language you use. I'm doing Mining Engineering at Adelaide Uni and have been exposed to Fortran 95, VBA and Matlab mainly but also have seen some Java and C++. I had absolutely no programming background (not even Graphics Calculator stuff) and just found that if I kept up with all the lecture material and set exercises, I was fine. Also with programming, don't expect to get it perfect in the first go and set plenty of time aside to get it right because there are many ways to structure programs etc, so sometimes a night before job works, another time it doesn't. Also don't do it in big chunks, just code bit by bit (i.e do half an hour a day rather than a 6 hour block) and check each bit for errors (run the program) because you will be amazed about how easily a big program comes together from little chunks of code.

Don't stress it, you will find that many people in your class share your lack of programming background, so don't get worried about the little showoff who is probably programming a spaceshuttle in his spare time :p, all classes have at least one. The Internet has many resources regarding programming and try textbook torrents for some good uni programming textbooks. Also, make friends in your classes and I don't mean to copy but hearing someone else explain coding who is just learning like you can make it so much easier.

Uni is about learning NEW things, so if you are open minded and have a good work ethic, you should pass comfortably.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I hope that this is of some help cause I can remember how intimidated I was when I first started programming.

arjungamer123

HSC
If you're doing programming, and have no background in it, I'd suggest picking up a "for Dummies" book in whatever comp. language, after the HSC exams, and just getting a background in that. That would push you ahead in front of the other students with no history in programming.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
I reckon the best way is to memorise examples from text book. These may be simple but can be easily transformed into more complex ones, thats what ive been doing and its works very well.
And ye every class does have there smarties but thats just labs, at the finals they usually dont significantly perform better or get the same as you and i.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Since the beginning of the year I was exposed to Matlab and R. It takes a while to get your head around to understanding what the codes actually do. After that, it shouldn't be too bad.
One thing I hate about using the software is that you have to be very exact on the code. One tiny error can screw everything up, particularly in a very extensive operation. So it pays to be extra careful. I've had my days where the code didn't work and I checked/retyped it several times wondering wtf is wrong before realising I added an extra bracket or something...lol

Dumbledore

HSC
don't start off programming the calculator... i did and when i did real programming i used to many global variables, not enough functions and parameter passes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)