Science Course --> What career? (1 Viewer)

Black-Bird

HSC
I'm looking to get into an advanced science course in either UTS, UNSW, or USYD, and concentrating on astrophysics and quantum physics. Thing is, im just wondering what kind of jobs i could get after completing this course ... i mean, other than teaching. so like, just wondering if there are any guys/girls out there who have previously done this course or a similar science-based course and what is your career now? help is much appreciated, thanks =)

HalcyonSky

HSC
you could watch particles being accelerated @ CERN. Or 3unitz suggested some other good jobs, with advanced science you'll have a really broad scope of jobs in the supermarket industry

Last edited:

doink

Clone
HSC
Yeah i hear astrophysics really helps when you are stockpiling canned soup.

Besodeiah

Banned
HSC
N/A
Black-Bird said:
I'm looking to get into an advanced science course in either UTS, UNSW, or USYD, and concentrating on astrophysics and quantum physics. Thing is, im just wondering what kind of jobs i could get after completing this course ... i mean, other than teaching. so like, just wondering if there are any guys/girls out there who have previously done this course or a similar science-based course and what is your career now? help is much appreciated, thanks =)
WWW.CENTRELINK.GOV.AU

dilos

HSC
A few people who did that are now in third year med...but that may be straying from what you want to do..

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Black-Bird said:
[Originally Posted by Black-Bird
I'm looking to get into an advanced science course in either UTS, UNSW, or USYD, and concentrating on astrophysics and quantum physics. Thing is, im just wondering what kind of jobs i could get after completing this course ... i mean, other than teaching. so like, just wondering if there are any guys/girls out there who have previously done this course or a similar science-based course and what is your career now? help is much appreciated, thanks =)]

WWW.CENTRELINK.GOV.AU

LOL!

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
In the past, theoretical physicists who couldn't find academic jobs entered the banks and became "quants", thus creating the discpline of "quantitative finance".

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I don't actually get it. Why, if he gets an advanced science degree, will he end up at Woolies? Are advanced science degrees bad? Or any science degrees?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
They are not the most career orientated degrees. They are more academic and thus it's hard to find a related job. Although not that hard if you try hard. (if that makes any sense). Also depends what you major in.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hollieee, don't get discouraged by people on this forum. They are just jealous because they could never handle a science degree. :D

If you want to study for a science degree at university, I'd say go for it! It's not hard to find a job. But it's just expected that science graduates should go on and complete a PhD or other relevant qualifications. This is because to be a "good" scientist you will need a lot of laboratory experience and scientific skills.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Hollieee, don't get discouraged by people on this forum. They are just jealous because they could never handle a science degree. :D

If you want to study for a science degree at university, I'd say go for it! It's not hard to find a job. But it's just expected that science graduates should go on and complete a PhD or other relevant qualifications. This is because to be a "good" scientist you will need a lot of laboratory experience and scientific skills.
Thanks for the encouragement =) I'm kinda leaning toward medical science, actually (and whatever I did, I would hope to be good enough to take it further). But yeah, some of the things people say on here make me wonder if perhaps its not a good idea?
I'm not 100% sure what I like yet. Kinda somewhere between health science/nutrition/forensics/psychology/medical science/biochem?
And I don't understand uni at all. Confuses the absolute shit out of me. So I don't really know how to find a course appropriate for me? Gahhh XD

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
No
Med Sc and a basic BSc are completely different.
If you do MedSc you're basically guaranteed a job, whether it's in research (if you get Honors especially) or path labs, or respiratory labs, etc, etc.

Doing a BSc and majoring in something gay usually results in an extra year, as you get a DipEd and teach snotty nosed little bastards.

So yeah. If you do a BSc make sure you atleast major in something slightly employable.

-Anfernee-

HSC
katie tully said:
No
Med Sc and a basic BSc are completely different.
If you do MedSc you're basically guaranteed a job, whether it's in research (if you get Honors especially) or path labs, or respiratory labs, etc, etc.

Doing a BSc and majoring in something gay usually results in an extra year, as you get a DipEd and teach snotty nosed little bastards.

So yeah. If you do a BSc make sure you atleast major in something slightly employable.

Wow, thats decent advice for a bogan from Parkes.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Good thing I was hoping to do MedSc then =)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Im doing commerce/law i also weap for the future- at the moment im tossing up between Woolies or Coles however Aldi certainly does appear to be a lucrative contender.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)