probability. (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Are there any subjects where I can focus mainly of probability maths, I'm doing 3u maths and I'm average at it. But I'm good at probability type subjects like binomial probability, permutations and combinations...

I want to head into economics. So anything that can link the two would be great.

decypher

HSC
B Maths (majoring in Stats)/B Commerce (major in Economics)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
Are there any subjects where I can focus mainly of probability maths, I'm doing 3u maths and I'm average at it. But I'm good at probability type subjects like binomial probability, permutations and combinations...

I want to head into economics. So anything that can link the two would be great.
Probability is in statistics.

Last edited:

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
well statistics subjects will have binomial prob, permutations and combinations etc. I know cause i did a statics subject last year.

ssglain

HSC
BackCountrySnow stats goes into probability?
After the first two or three lectures on how to organise and represent data, the rest of it is mostly probability. One of the main focuses is on using probability models to make predictions and test hypotheses.

Discrete maths on the other hand goes more into the combinations/permutations side.

I think B Science (Adv) with B Finance or B Economics is a very good combination for you.
USYD offers two science majors which may interest you - statistics or financial maths & statistics. Have a look at the teaching program: Mathematics and Statistics Teaching Program - University of Sydney

I'm personally tossing between these two majors. In 2nd year I'm going to do STAT2911 Probability and Statistical Models (Adv), STAT2912 Statistical Tests (Adv) and MATH2970 Optimization and Financial Mathematics (advanced) just to keep my options open for choosing the major in 3rd year.

cyl123

HSC
B Commerce (major in actuarial studies) / B Science (Maths or Stats) at UNSW ftw!!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
On the Science side, Financial Mathematics and Statistics requires a good gasp of probability knowledge.

On the Commerce side, the equivalent disciplines are Finance and Econometrics which require similar skills in probability, though I'd imagine with a lot less rigour than their science equivalents.

And of course...there's actuarial studies!

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: probability.

Trebla said:
On the Science side, Financial Mathematics and Statistics requires a good gasp of probability knowledge.

On the Commerce side, the equivalent disciplines are Finance and Econometrics which require similar skills in probability, though I'd imagine with a lot less rigour than their science equivalents.

And of course...there's actuarial studies!
i seem to respect the commerce - actuarial studies student more than other commerce students

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)