Looking at taking up Bsc (geology) (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I have one year left of my commerce degree (only four finance subjects), was looking at taking up a Bsc (geology)- should take about 3-4 years...

Should I firstly take 100 LVL Math and Physics next year (eqv to first year engineering/physics students)?

Been a while since i did math/physics (high school), but I have two subject slots available next semester.

Then after next year begin my first year geo subjects with first yr bio and chem?

Geology really interests me but it just seems like there is so much OTHER subjects that are needed to take with it (not that they are officially required) due to the fact that a practising geologist needs such a broad scientific knowledge?

Also, should you take further 200 LVL chem- ie inorganic and physical chemistry?

Just trying to plan a potential program any help would be awsome.

*Also, how useful at all is having a finance degree when your a practising geologist?

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
You should PM velox about this - he does geophysics.

I'd look at doing a graduate certificate in geology if one is avaliable as that'd be a lot quicker (not sure if it is cheap though!)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Perhaps I should just take up 1st yr geo with some economics and the rest of my finance stuff, see if I like it. Even if I then don't decide to fully take up science, the knowledge could be useful in say commodities trading roles or working in finance for a mining type company.

I'm still not sure whether I want to actually be "the scientist" or the trader.

Does velox trade commodities?

Also, I can do a full geo degree (jsut without math/phsyics/bio electives)

along with economics/finance

So I'd have

Bcom(Finance/Economics)/Bsc(geology)

I could add honours to one of them (would prob drop the economics to a minor)

Is this a good combo?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
^^Bump

I'd hate to start another thread, but I wanna hear evreyone's thoughts on geology in general

There's no "geology" guide as such on here, in fact I can only find about 5 threads which mention the word.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Perhaps I should just take up 1st yr geo with some economics and the rest of my finance stuff, see if I like it. Even if I then don't decide to fully take up science, the knowledge could be useful in say commodities trading roles or working in finance for a mining type company.

I'm still not sure whether I want to actually be "the scientist" or the trader.

Does velox trade commodities?

Also, I can do a full geo degree (jsut without math/phsyics/bio electives)

along with economics/finance

So I'd have

Bcom(Finance/Economics)/Bsc(geology)

I could add honours to one of them (would prob drop the economics to a minor)

Is this a good combo?
Velox is doing B.Sc Geophysics majoring in mathematics and statistics. I have no idea about what knowledge is required to trade commodities and such so I'm no use here - think I might have some e-books it though. Are there no geology graduate certificates/masters degrees you can get into?

Geologist

HSC
You don't need biology at all for geology unless you wanrt to go into paleontology or something of the kind. Physics, chemistry & math I would say are all essential if you want to be a professional, creative & competent geologist. It is the broadest science there is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)