The outcomes of studying science in Australia (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
I believe that many people like myself probably chose science at university as they had a passion for it, or were successful in science subjects during high-school. To this day I still find science extremely interesting, exciting and a fulfilling area to expand my knowledge in. However I'd be surprised if a large percentage of individuals were able to assert that they knew where their science degree would take them upon graduation. For this reason I thought I'd do a bit of a breakdown based on what I've learned over the years as to what one can achieve with a science degree.

1). Postgraduate courses
I will keep this short as it is probably the option most people are aware of and one that many people pursue. Most universities offer a Masters in various Science/biotechnology fields that can be 100% coursework or 50/50 coursework/research. These courses can be good for fulfilling the expertise required for a couple of specialized jobs including Clinical trial officers (CTOs) and quality control officers (QCs). However I would not do one just as a time filler because you weren't able to find employment 3 months after graduating with your bachelors. Otherwise there are the highly sought after postgraduate medicine, pharmacy, dentistry & physiotherapy courses, most of which will require a high credit / distinction average as a minimum to get in to (med will also require a high GAMSAT score).

2). Honors & PhD
Honors is an extra one year on top of your bachelors during which time you will be under the guidance of an academic expert and complete a research project. Typically this will be a small project that your mentor simply doesn't have the time to look in to themselves, thus you basically become free labor to them for a 9 month period. If doing academic style research appeals to you and you manage to achieve 85% or higher in honours (Hons I) you can apply for an Australian post graduate award scholarship (APA) and do a 3 - 4 year PhD. The APA scholarship is an award allowance paid in fortnightly installments of ~$800 over the course of the PhD.
Now finally after 7 years of uni you can technically put the title Dr. in front of your name, although without a significant number of journal publications you are still unlikely to be taken seriously in the scientific community. So you now undertake what is called a post-doctorate position. These can be hard to find and often require traveling overseas, often to work long hard hours for $60'000 a year if you are lucky.
After completing your post-doc, you may attempt to find a position as an academic professional within a university. There are 2 types of academic professionals: 1). 100% research based professionals- Under this position you are on a 5 year contract, where if after 5 years the university feels you are not conducting high quality research & publishing quality papers, you will be fired. Otherwise your contract is renewed for another 5 years. 2). Research & teaching positions- These individuals are not under the risk of being laid off every 5 years, however they are expected to organize, teach and mark courses, which is a lot of work to try and do on top of scientific research. Academic professionals must additionally seek grants and funding from the various research councils in Australia to support their research as rarely will university funding allow for enough budget to perform the experiments needed to make a publication. Once you climb to the ranks of Associate Professor / Professor you can expect to make $70 - $90'000 a year.

3). Research assistant
Pretty self explanatory, you are basically a servant to typically a professor in a university or research institute and will aid them in designing and conducting experiments, writing papers and grant applications & preparing presentations for conferences. Often your salary comes from the professor having managed to get a grant from a funding body to hire a research assistant. As a result these positions can be very temporary, and will very rarely fall outside the salary range of $35k-$52k pa.
Most individuals who become research assistants do so because they failed to get first class honours, which is basically mandatory to get an APA scholarship. Once they've worked for a few years, any papers they have helped published give them bonus points on their submission for an APA scholarship, which may allow them to succeed in getting one and thus do a PhD.

4). Industry / private sector
I can't stress enough that in Australia this sector is so tiny and pathetic it may as well not exist. No major pharmaceutical or biotechnology companies have their research & development centers in Australia. We have a small hub of start-up companies down in Melbourne, as well as a few companies that help run clinical trials in the Sydney / North Ryde area, and that's it. Often these companies really don't want to waste their time training up a graduate student in the protocols and methods of good clinical practice (GCP) and good laboratory practice (GLP); thus they will routinely advertise for 3 - 5 year experience minimum. Despite this however, they are still willing to only pay such individuals $50-65k a year.
What we do have a decent amount of in Australia is manufacturing plants for various food & beverage companies and some pharmaceuticals. These places aren't interested in researchers, but do require quality assurance managers that will make sure the products they are making are all up to the standards required by law. As the fines can be massive for breaking any of the laws required in the production of consumed goods, these companies are willing to pay a good quality assurance officer upwards on $90-$110'000 a year. This job is extremely fking boring though as it requires basically being able to memorize and apply a 3000 page book filled with laws and legislation's to a manufacturing plant. Often it is also required that you are capable of testing batches of products for consistency and high quality, which requires knowledge in processes such as high performance liquid chromatography and other specialized testing methods. As you can imagine, if the company does get in trouble with the law whilst you are the QA officer, you can kiss your job and any further jobs in QA management down the toilet.

5). Applying your science 'skills' to other areas
Throughout undergraduate you will likely be told in various courses that they are developing skills in you that will make you sought after by employers. These include things like leadership skills, presentation skills, ability to solve complex problems, analytical thinking etc. 90% of these are complete garbage and you come out of uni no better at them then when you began your course. However the analytical thinking and critical problem solving skills can help you land a job in sectors such as consulting, market research & investment research. Of course most of these areas would rather hire a commerce student, so you really should have done that degree in the first place. However if you honestly did a decent amount of mathematics, physics or computing courses then you could probably scrape an entry position at one of Australia's MANY, MANY finance related companies (seriously you commerce grads have it so fkin easy, you have no idea).

Some final thoughts.
Science is a lot a fun and some days in the lab are honestly a real rush when you make a major advancement in your project. However employment opportunities are low, salaries are garbage and the hours are very long. If you are serious about doing research, look in to going overseas for an internship that may lead to a scholarship / employment upon graduation. The one area that Australia is backing a lot of funding in to at the moment is environment / climate based research. If that interests you then there are some well paying positions as an environmental adviser to various climate control committees. Otherwise the sciences I'd recommend are the ones that are based upon industrial processes, such as synthetic chemistry and mathematical modeling.
Also for high-school graduates, don't fall in to the trap of thinking that the higher entry score science courses like medical science are any different or special. They are EXACTLY THE SAME AS A REGULAR SCIENCE DEGREE REQUIRING A 75 ATAR. Basically in these supposedly specialized science courses they've simply chosen all the subjects for you, whilst if you are doing a science degree, you have the option to pick any science subjects you like including, but not limited to all the preselected courses in the specialized science degrees. The trend seems to be that if the word med is thrown in to a science degrees title, the ATAR jumps 20 points, as evident in the medical science & medicinal chemistry course offered at various uni.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
However if you honestly did a decent amount of mathematics, physics or computing courses then you could probably scrape an entry position at one of Australia's MANY, MANY finance related companies (seriously you commerce grads have it so fkin easy, you have no idea).
This is no longer true for Finance. The finance industry is ridiculously competitive thanks to excessive commerce graduates. It is actually very difficult for most commerce students to get a finance related job in big firms at the moment (possibly to do with the recent financial crisis). Only the best ever make it.

Also, with the more quantitative areas, science students often have better chances because most commerce graduates can't handle maths.

Ben1220

HSC
Mostly agree but a few things I want to add.

The APA scholarship is an award allowance paid in fortnightly installments of ~$800 over the course of the PhD.
Now finally after 7 years of uni you can technically put the title Dr. in front of your name, although without a significant number of journal publications you are still unlikely to be taken seriously in the scientific community. So you now undertake what is called a post-doctorate position.
Yes the apa is around $22,500 a year I think?
Although a large number of people with phds become researchers, there are other options. In Computer Science for example, slightly over 50% of phds end up in industry acording to the taulbee survey, Resources - CRA Taulbee Survey | Computing Research Association

These can be hard to find and often require traveling overseas, often to work long hard hours for $60'000 a year if you are lucky.
sometimes even less... especially overseas,

Also sometimes you need to do a second or even a third postdoc before you get a proper position.

After completing your post-doc, you may attempt to find a position as an academic professional within a university. There are 2 types of academic professionals: 1). 100% research based professionals- Under this position you are on a 5 year contract, where if after 5 years the university feels you are not conducting high quality research & publishing quality papers, you will be fired. Otherwise your contract is renewed for another 5 years. 2). Research & teaching positions- These individuals are not under the risk of being laid off every 5 years, however they are expected to organize, teach and mark courses, which is a lot of work to try and do on top of scientific research. Academic professionals must additionally seek grants and funding from the various research councils in Australia to support their research as rarely will university funding allow for enough budget to perform the experiments needed to make a publication. Once you climb to the ranks of Associate Professor / Professor you can expect to make $70 - $90'000 a year.
This is actually the salary level of a lecturer. Associate Professor / Professor is closer to AU $110k-$140k+ in Australia. Even more in some countries where there aren't pay scales and if you are very good/ a leader in your field / famous. Especially in USA. Of course the catch of working in a country where not all professors of the same rank are paid the same means that you will be paid depending on what you could make in industry. For example, humanities professors make a lot less than computer science and law professors in USA. The statistics are out there if you want to see what is standard pay. BUT even if you are in a field that pays well, getting a proper academic job as a professor is very very difficult and requires a lot of hard work, there are easier ways to make 6 figures.

5). Applying your science 'skills' to other areas
Throughout undergraduate you will likely be told in various courses that they are developing skills in you that will make you sought after by employers. These include things like leadership skills, presentation skills, ability to solve complex problems, analytical thinking etc. 90% of these are complete garbage and you come out of uni no better at them then when you began your course. However the analytical thinking and critical problem solving skills can help you land a job in sectors such as consulting, market research & investment research. Of course most of these areas would rather hire a commerce student, so you really should have done that degree in the first place. However if you honestly did a decent amount of mathematics, physics or computing courses then you could probably scrape an entry position at one of Australia's MANY, MANY finance related companies (seriously you commerce grads have it so fkin easy, you have no idea).
The other thing like this you should consider are quants. Quantitative analyst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from wikipedia: "Quants often come from physics, engineering, or mathematics backgrounds rather than economics-related fields, and quant finance is a major source of employment for people with physics and mathematics Ph.Ds"

The pay is generally very high, but there are much easier ways to make 200k a year then slogging through a phd program in mathematics... Not that the other ways are easy, just that they are easier than a phd in maths/physics...

If you are serious about doing research, look in to going overseas for an internship that may lead to a scholarship / employment upon graduation.
agreed

Tim035

HSC
Thanks for the addition Ben, I don't know a lot of specifics in regards to overseas positions in science. I do remember a friend of mine in consulting though saying that intelligent science grads in the US get snatched up like intelligent commerce grads here in Australia.

As for the APA, it's actually advertised as $32k pa. However it only ramps up to this amount by the end of your 3rd year, and starts off at more like $20k pa.

Trebla- I understand that it's highly competitive and the GFC has meant a number of companies have cut down on internships and grad positions (I think a 22% reduction was the statistic predicted for this years graduates). However at least the infrastructure and companies are there, I can go on gradsonline/grad positions and there are at least 50-100 finance related companies & banks saying they have grad positions available at various times of the year. If I now change the criteria to science there are only 2 and they both suck.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I still think the opportunities for specific science grads such as Geology are there.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
ok serious post time

i'mma do hons next year, in biology, and i'm going to assume for argument's sake i get over 85, and even 1 or 2 publications out of the work (coz i'm modest like that)

does OP or anyone else know:

1) how competetive APA's are

2) what prospects are for someone who wants to aim for a type 2 (teaching + research) position at a uni someplace?

Tim035

HSC
Scores for APA are calculated as: 1/3 x WAM in final year + 2/3 Overall mark in honors year.

It is generally considered that if you get HONS I there's a 95% chance you'll get an APA if you go for one.

ddtng

HSC
The one area that Australia is backing a lot of funding in to at the moment is environment / climate based research. If that interests you then there are some well paying positions as an environmental adviser to various climate control committees.
Yes!

Though being the big thing now like any fad career I imagine the prospects in the environmental field will die in 10/20 years. Which is why I'm happy I'm getting into it now (and hopefully out when I need to).

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Scores for APA are calculated as: 1/3 x WAM in final year + 2/3 Overall mark in honors year.

It is generally considered that if you get HONS I there's a 95% chance you'll get an APA if you go for one.
cheers mate, just need to get that 1st class honours, then

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Also, this is American but it gives a pretty good feel for what's involved in becoming a scientist:

[youtube]eGd-tSsbNns[/youtube]

Tim035

HSC
Also, this is American but it gives a pretty good feel for what's involved in becoming a scientist:

[youtube]eGd-tSsbNns[/youtube]

I actually like the idea that gradschool / your PhD in America involves course work, as it would give me the opportunity to learn much needed organic & medicinal chemistry. Unfortunately though even with a highly prestigious scholarship like Rhodes, you still need to find money to pay for tuition over in the states.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
1) how competetive APA's are

2) what prospects are for someone who wants to aim for a type 2 (teaching + research) position at a uni someplace?
Tim has already answered 1).

2) For research + teaching job, you need to have excellent publication track record. You would probably go for a Senior lecturer position because lecturer positions usually do not require research. To be a senior lecturer you are looking at about 30-40 good publications.

For your information, our collaborator in Germany did 1 post-doc after his PhD and he is now 35. In the last 2 years he's had 1 publication in Nature, 1 in Nature Medicine, 6 in Nature Immunology. He is now a full professor.

Anything is possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)