USYD or UNSW Science? (1 Viewer)

glache

HSC
N/A
I've also posted this in the general forum, so apologies to anyone who reads this twice. So--I got a late round offer for UNSW Science (Advanced), and a main round offer for USYD Science.

Therefore the question is...UNSW or USYD? I was set on USYD but then the Good Uni Guide said UNSW has better teaching, and that graduates from both institutions have equally (great) job prospects. Most likely majors are biological or medical sciences--psychology or geography might be other options. Social life is also important--would like to get involved in a few clubs and socs. Travel is not an issue for either.

With the whole Advanced thing, I was actually pretty silly. I actually just want to do the plain Bachelor of Science without the hassle of Advanced subjects. I preferenced it at UNSW thinking I wouldn't get it, but I did. But I guess I could always elect to drop down to the plain Science degree?

So pretty much, if you exclude the whole Advanced thing, and just take into consideration the teaching (for my preferred majors), the job prospects and the social life, which would be better?

Urgent replies greatly appreciated. Thanks!

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
According to QS world rankings, USyd is better overall in natural sciences.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Tell me how research intensivity, research quoting and number of PhD's and whatnot have any relevance in choosing undergrad studies.

If you use "World Rankings" to decide which uni you're going to - you're even dumber than those who solely use the GUG.

On that, UNSW > Sydney, from my impressions, my experiences, my research and the GUG.

Tim035

HSC
There isn't going to be a huge difference between what you learn at either on an undergraduate level; if you're thinking of pursuing honours, I would probably honestly say go to Sydney as I can tell you there wasn't a heap of grants achieved in the med sci department last round at UNSW... Well except for Prof. Gunning who got like $2 million. Then again, who knows where either faculty will be at in 3 years time.

Last edited:

Deathless

HSC
I've also posted this in the general forum, so apologies to anyone who reads this twice. So--I got a late round offer for UNSW Science (Advanced), and a main round offer for USYD Science.

Therefore the question is...UNSW or USYD? I was set on USYD but then the Good Uni Guide said UNSW has better teaching, and that graduates from both institutions have equally (great) job prospects. Most likely majors are biological or medical sciences--psychology or geography might be other options. Social life is also important--would like to get involved in a few clubs and socs. Travel is not an issue for either.

With the whole Advanced thing, I was actually pretty silly. I actually just want to do the plain Bachelor of Science without the hassle of Advanced subjects. I preferenced it at UNSW thinking I wouldn't get it, but I did. But I guess I could always elect to drop down to the plain Science degree?

So pretty much, if you exclude the whole Advanced thing, and just take into consideration the teaching (for my preferred majors), the job prospects and the social life, which would be better?

Urgent replies greatly appreciated. Thanks!
How do you know UNSW has better teaching? Did you experience this yourself? How a person likes the teaching is relative.

To me, USYD would be much more closer and so I'd save a lot of time but if it doesn't matter then go with Tim's comment. Oh yeah don't forget the factor of whether you want to be surrounded by asians or not?

glache

HSC
N/A
How do you know UNSW has better teaching? Did you experience this yourself? How a person likes the teaching is relative.

To me, USYD would be much more closer and so I'd save a lot of time but if it doesn't matter then go with Tim's comment. Oh yeah don't forget the factor of whether you want to be surrounded by asians or not?
That's what I was thinking re: relativity of teaching quality. Yeah the other thing that came to mind was the Asians. Well I'm an ABC so I can't really complain but I don't want to be surrounded by a whole bunch of fobs if the rumours are true...are they? USYD appears to be closer but if you take the walk from Redfern into account it works out to be pretty much the same travelling time.

Does anyone have any experience with the teaching in my possible majors?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Redfern is a dangerous place. Family friend got mugged there... and what about the fobs? As in, when you're walking to uni or when you're at uni?

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Tell me how research intensivity, research quoting and number of PhD's and whatnot have any relevance in choosing undergrad studies.

If you use "World Rankings" to decide which uni you're going to - you're even dumber than those who solely use the GUG.

On that, UNSW > Sydney, from my impressions, my experiences, my research and the GUG.
Just putting in some information, did not say choose USyd because of it's ranking xD

Also, the GUG is a bit weird, UNSW is unusually high and USyd is unusually low there - and I can't seem to find exactly where their data is from.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know, but to the untrained eye - someone might say: "Ooh, world rankings" and select from that.

GUG data is from the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations mostly, along with the university's own given data and Course Experience Questionnaires given to graduates from universities.

glache

HSC
N/A
Redfern is a dangerous place. Family friend got mugged there... and what about the fobs? As in, when you're walking to uni or when you're at uni?
Bummer to hear about your friend. Were they with anyone? Was it at night? Hope they didn't get hurt! Nah with the fobs I meant are there enough (or any) of them at UNSW to impact on the vibrancy of campus life? Oh and I suppose in tutes and stuff.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, my mother's sister's friend had her bag snatched at knife-point. But it was at day-time - but no she's okay. I didn't even know about it until my aunt told me a few weeks ago (it happened a few months ago)!

But fobs... I don't know. Depends on what subjects you take. I don't think there are a lot of fobs - I'd assume they're more at UWS, they are probably aren't that smart to get to UNSW and Sydney and these types (to be blunt). Lots of Asians, or so I hear, at UNSW though.

rororow

HSC
Yes, join us Glanche. I'm doing advanced at UNSW. Everyone says the social life, night life is ridiculously amazing at usyd, but who needs it? Stalk you at O week. And Asians are going to be at every university. Don't worry about them. They're not human.

Tressenterra

HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, if it was BSc betwen UNSW and USyd, I would've taken USyd's science, but given its advanced science at UNSW, take that one.

Selling Chem, Bio notes
HSC
Uni Grad
USYD
PRO's
  • Better if you're doing Advanced or have an ATAR of 99+ (there's this thing called the TSP)
  • closer to the trains (Redfern), no need to catch bus (most)
  • Easier to get around
CON's
  • Really expensive food (No Maccas!), not enough good Chinese restaurants
  • significantly worse business networks with biotechnology/pharmaceutical companies

If you're a bookworm than USYD is for you!:smile:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
All these ratings mean jack when you're comparing two excellent institutions like USYD and UNSW. Both will have high quality teaching, obviously. USyd just offers are more vibrant uni life imo, and is located more conveniently.

It doesn't really matter, go to the one you want.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
USYD
PRO's
  • Better if you're doing Advanced or have an ATAR of 99+ (there's this thing called the TSP)
  • closer to the trains (Redfern), no need to catch bus (most)
  • Easier to get around
CON's
  • Really expensive food (No Maccas!), not enough good Chinese restaurants
  • significantly worse business networks with biotechnology/pharmaceutical companies

If you're a bookworm than USYD is for you!:smile:
(you know UNSW has a TSP thing too - and also has Advanced Science)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)