Thread: usyd, unsw or mq

HSC
    Uni Grad

usyd, unsw or mq

Hi all

These are the three main unis I wish to study at and I was wondering if anyone (esp. those who attend the uni and/or do the courses below) could give me a quick overview of what studying there would be like. Also, I'd like to know why I should study at each (what's so good about the faculty of science) - compare the unis and courses.

@ USYD
    B sc
    B med sc

@ UNSW
    B med chem
    B med sc
    B sc (nanotech)
    B psych sc

@ MQ
    B med sc
    B sc

To give you all an idea, I'm interested in research and I hope I could help those that are vulnerable in society eg the young, the old and the disabled.
    In considering a uni I'd like to know which uni offers internships, etc because this will allow me to do work experience.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: usyd, unsw or mq

What are you looking to major in?
    Bachelor of Resource Economics (Hons) (Resource Economics/Geography) - The University of Sydney (2010-2013)

khorne

Why not go through the courses at each unis website.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by OzKo View Post
    What are you looking to major in?
    At the moment I'm thinking of doing something like anatomy, biochemistry, genetics. These are majors I could do if I'm doing Bsc. I don't think B med sc do majors...

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by khorne View Post
    Why not go through the courses at each unis website.
    I have, and at the moment I'm liking B med sc @ MQ because it incorporates both medical and psychology in it's course. Although, I'd be happy to get into UNSW or USYD as I know both unis have a strong focus in science. I'm not sure what the faculty of science is like at MQ though. I'm planning to go to their open days later on in the year so I'll be able to get more info on the day.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaMiller View Post
    I'm planning to go to their open days later on in the year so I'll be able to get more info on the day.
    This is the best way to go, and it is the primary reason why they have Open Days.

More often than not, there is more than one University offering the same degree. The University's best 'chance' at getting the students to come to their Uni is during the Open day.

Sometimes, there are Uni representatives coming to have talks at the school etc but usually attendance is quite poor.
    Bachelor of Science (Adv. Mathematics) - University of Sydney:

HSC

Remember you can also consult sources such as the Good Uni Guide to figure out other things that you might not hear or see about elsewhere.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaMiller View Post
    At the moment I'm thinking of doing something like anatomy, biochemistry, genetics. These are majors I could do if I'm doing Bsc. I don't think B med sc do majors...
    Hi. I can only comment on the UNSW programmes. I did a BMedSc (Hons) and I was happy with it. I did Microbiology and Immunology as my major, which is taught in the same School (School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences) as biochemistry and genetics. I also did subjects in anatomy (from the School of Medical Sciences), which was good, too. The overall learning environment was very good and I feel like I've learned the materials I need to prepare me for the research world, which I know is something you are interested. UNSW offers summer research scholarships so you can start going into real research labs and get hands-on exprience from your 2nd year.

I'm now doing a PhD in Cambridge, looking at how microbes interact with the immune system. So my UNSW Science degree has prepared me well for the research world.

PhD, University of Cambridge, 09-12
    MSc, UNSW, 08-09
    BMedSc (Hons I), UNSW, 04-07

Thread Information