Bsc/Bed. at USYD or UNSW? (1 Viewer)

b33g_boss

HSC
Hey guys.

I would like to know which uni is better in terms of departments, facilities, lecturers and social life (pretty equal on both i think) in USYD (for bachelor of science (secondary science)/bachelor of education) or at UNSW (bachelor of science/bachelor of education). :confused:

Also a major determinant is which course will give me the skills for myself to teach overseas (eg. places with poverty etc.)

Thanks.

HSC
Uni Grad
Arguably, people would say USYD is the preferred uni for education/science.

However, the decision depends on what science majors you are planning to do. If you are planning to do Maths and Physics, both UNSW and USYD are good, although USYD is better at pure maths, while UNSW is better with statistics and applied maths. UNSW > USYD for computer science. (From word of mouth)

Biology is better at UNSW, from what I was told, but USYD shouldn't be too bad either. Not sure about chemistry though, but either one wouldn't really matter.

As far as I know, the mathematics and physics teaching at UNSW is quite good, and arguably one of the better subjects at the uni. Lecturers are generally good for mathematics, as far as I know.

I know that UNSW offers internships at around your 3rd and 4th years, but someone tell me about USYDs.

Consider the social aspect too; USYD has more societies, more politically involved than UNSW. That said, if you're not so much of a fan of politics, then maybe UNSW could be better????

USYD would be better for teaching overseas, due to its international reputation, but UNSW ain't bad either. As for the last question I do not know the answer to it.

Also, USYD Education/Science is 5 years, while UNSW Education/Science is 4 years, so if you don't want to stay at uni longer, consider UNSW.
From what I have seen, at USYD, you are limited in what you can major in; at UNSW, you can choose pretty much all the science majors listed as part of the B Science component, and can overload or stay longer to complete extra majors.

b33g_boss

HSC
thx heaps for the great information, very useful post.

Also, USYD Education/Science is 5 years, while UNSW Education/Science is 4 years, so if you don't want to stay at uni longer, consider UNSW. : i totally overlooked this, thanks heaps.

im slightly leaning towards unsw now, but ill go to the open days which will determine which uni.

repped, thx again.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You might want to figure out why Sydney has an extra year.

I know Medicine at UNSW has an extra year compared to others because UNSW Medicine people have to write a thesis sort of thing. And I believe Comm/Sci at Sydney has a whole year of electives or something...?

b33g_boss

HSC
oh k, do you have any idea? also what are internships or cadetship?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I have no idea. You'll have to ask the unis.

Internships and cadetships are basically when you work with a company while you're at uni, and they like... sponsor you to do work. So if you're doing an Accounting internship, an accounting company 'sponsors' you to do Accounting and you get to do work for the company and they pay you for it.

After graduation, they may or may not offer you a job.

b33g_boss

HSC
k cool. also difference between diploma of education and bachelor of education ?

HSC
Uni Grad
USYD requires students to do more science subjects, as well as electives in later years. UNSW reduces the number of science electives required by making only 96 UOC of science compulsory. That said, you can do more, especially if you're planning to double major in science. That said, you can still spend more time at uni trying to do a double major.

Also, I was told that the courses are easier at UNSW than USYD, but then again you're coming to uni to learn, not to try and take advantage of something being easy. Entry into honours is only 70+ WAM, no quota. USYD has a quota on the number of students who do honours, which depends on how good the people are (those wanting to do honours).

Just go to the open days at the uni's and decide for yourself at first.

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
k cool. also difference between diploma of education and bachelor of education ?
Diploma of education is shorter and only has education specific courses. It can be done after you have completed your Bachelor degree in another field (except education).

Peeik

HSC
A few points from me because im doing the education (math) one at usyd.

To be honest its really the same degree. But i remember reading that the one at usyd is more internationally recognised. I'm not sure why though, but I would imagine UNSW to be very similar.

As for why is USYD 5 years whereas UNSW is 4; it mostly applies to Ed/Arts students more because in the fifth year they have the option to pick up a third teaching area. Students from UNSW will only have a maximum of 2 teaching areas.

Internships at USYD are in the 5th year.

Graduates from USYD (5 year trained) will get a higher minimum salary than UNSW (4 year trained) graduates according to the DEC scaffold.

You could also complete a B.Science degree (3 years) then do a Masters in Teaching at USYD (2 years) which is a total of 5 years. This is much more well known internationally because you would have a masters degree. However, a masters in teaching in australia isnt anymore different than a student doing the equivalent combined degree (same pay).

Apologies for any typos because I am very tired atm. If you have any questions about the USYD degree just ask and I reply when I can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)