Vet Sci @ USYD (1 Viewer)

lifeishard

HSC
PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE VET SCIENCE PROGRAM.

The Federal Government has been considering how it will provide long-term funding of postgraduate programs across the tertiary sector. The outcomes of these considerations may impact our ability to implement changes to the Faculty of Veterinary Science's courses.
The timing of advice from Government has meant that the Faculty has postponed any decision to introduce a BSc(Vet Biol)/DVM combined degree program, and a graduate entry DVM program, until such time as the Government's position is firmly known to the University.
At this stage, in 2013, the Faculty will continue to offer the 5 year BVSc degree to commencing students. Whilst every reasonable effort have been made to ensure that this statement is accurate as at the date it was originally published, you are advised to directly consult with the Faculty for up to date information about any changes to this position.

If the changes do occur in 2014, would this require me to do, say for example.. 3 years worth of BSc(Adv) and then another (assumed) 3 years of BSc/DVM totalling 6 years instead of the original 5? Do I come out with a doctorate (or am I having wishful thinking lol)? I can't tell if this change is for the good or bad. It does seem however, that it'll be harder to get into the course than before. Would there be a combined degree perhaps? I don't understand. Can somebody please explain how this would affect the course?

P.S. Any students currently studying BVSc? How are you coping with the workload? Please give some opinions!
P.P.S Does anyone know where I can gain more experience for the commitment statement? Preferable in Western Sydney region.

Many Thanks

madharris

HSC
N/A
I'm not studying it at the moment, but I was talking to my cousin about two weeks ago who dropped out and switched to commerce.

She says you have to be really dedicated, as many of the pracs are confronting, She said the work load was alright, however she found chemistry difficult at times (although she didn't do chemistry for her HSC)

horny unicorn

HSC
I'm not studying it at the moment, but I was talking to my cousin about two weeks ago who dropped out and switched to commerce.

She says you have to be really dedicated, as many of the pracs are confronting, She said the work load was alright, however she found chemistry difficult at times (although she didn't do chemistry for her HSC)
^

the vet sci kids have insane contact hours as well

lifeishard

HSC
^

the vet sci kids have insane contact hours as well
I heard lol. It has really been the only job i've ever wanted though, and during work experience I confirmed that it's what i'd like to do for life (even though the nice lady told me she regretted it lol). So everyone is telling me that I shouldn't and i'm wavering :( I hope it's worth all the hard work.

Last edited:

lifeishard

HSC

Lots of people drop out apparently.. which is really a waste of time and effort. I choose to believe i'll have the dedication if I make it though. Too bad vets are underpaid and have long working hours but it pays off in the end. I hope your cousin enjoys commerce, I absolutely am not interested it! Interesting choice though, they aren't very similar.

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
Lots of people drop out apparently.. which is really a waste of time and effort. I choose to believe i'll have the dedication if I make it though. Too bad vets are underpaid and have long working hours but it pays of in the end. I hope your cousin enjoys commerce, I absolutely am not interested it! Interesting choice though, they aren't very similar.
Not trying to put you off, but this was one of their exams apparently. (Or something similar) - They had a freshly euthanised dog, it was in a pool of blood with its head chopped off, they had to dissect it and identify every bone in its body or something like that (i may be getting mixed up with two different pracs, but its something along the lines of that).

As I said, it's very confronting, and that's just first year

lifeishard

HSC
Not trying to put you off, but this was one of their exams apparently. (Or something similar) - They had a freshly euthanised dog, it was in a pool of blood with its head chopped off, they had to dissect it and identify every bone in its body or something like that (i may be getting mixed up with two different pracs, but its something along the lines of that).

Holy smokes. I can understand why she transferred now. I would never have imagined a prac like that in first year. That's just..

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
As said before, vet science has a lot of contact hours and require a lot of dedication. Your commitment statement probably requires at least one/two work experience (because my friend got in just with one) but perhaps you can volunteer/do work experience for your local vet or if you're looking at bigger organisations then perhaps RSPCA (though it very difficult to get a volunteer/work experience position and you have to apply very early, but worth a try) and Animal Welfare League (I was going to say WIRES but apparently you have to be over 18?) so yeh just do some research.

lifeishard

HSC
As said before, vet science has a lot of contact hours and require a lot of dedication. Your commitment statement probably requires at least one/two work experience (because my friend got in just with one) but perhaps you can volunteer/do work experience for your local vet or if you're looking at bigger organisations then perhaps RSPCA (though it very difficult to get a volunteer/work experience position and you have to apply very early, but worth a try) and Animal Welfare League (I was going to say WIRES but apparently you have to be over 18?) so yeh just do some research.
I currently have one work experience completed. I'm going to try around my local vets, but i'm still going to have difficulties ticking off the livestock list. Hopefully i'll find myself a position. There aren't many farms around and most of the big organisations have an age limit, impossibly far away or are booked out as you mentioned. This path is difficult indeed (ATAR + STAT + Commitment Statement + Interview) /sigh

pjiggy

HSC
Don't be put off if you don't get in straight after year 12. Keep in mind that the majority of vet students are either international or mature age applicants who did animal science degrees / worked as vet nurses beforehand, so there are always alternative pathways to vet, and if you're fresh out of high school you're still young. I have a friend doing vet and usyd and she said it is extremely hard but totally worth it if that's what you want. In her year, there were only 10 students who were actually straight out of high school.If you're willing to go interstate, Adelaide uni has a vet degree and the cutoff is around 95, no interviews or commitments statements. Same goes for places like Melbourne uni, monash, perth etc.
Best of luck !

Jewls

HSC
N/A
I was talking to my cousin about two weeks ago who dropped out and switched to commerce.
Some transfer into other degrees such as medicine because they find that many owners aren't willing to pay for treating pets and they end up having to kill a fair few. Others can't get a job on graduation. And some leave the profession because they think there are better ways of helping animals, see here:

http://ausvetnet.wordpress.com/

liz2814

HSC
They had a freshly euthanised dog, it was in a pool of blood with its head chopped off, they had to dissect it and identify every bone in its body or something like that (i may be getting mixed up with two different pracs, but its something along the lines of that).

Hey, I just finished first year vet science, its not like that :) Yeah the pracs are confronting but you get over it by the first couple, and they would never ask you to identify every single bone in a dog's body, unless they give you a skeleton. And even then that would never be a question in an exam it would take way too long! But of course you do have to know all the names of the bones, if your going to be a surgeon :) You get preserved dog specimens for practicals to begin with so it's fine, and you only have fresh specimens in second semester and it's not very often. Trust me, if you can watch surgeries at your vet clinic when you did work experience, you will be absolutely fine. And although some people do drop out, none of the people I'm friends with did and although its hard work, we all love it. None of us have ever had second thoughts. I hope you did well in your HSC and that you get into vet (if that's what you want to do). If you have any questions about first year feel free to message me :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)