Maths and Stats (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, Im thinking of doing a bscience at unsw majoring in maths and stats, however, will i be disadvantaged due to my hsc subjects?will the workload be alot? Also, what type of maths is involved in stats, and what exactly is stats?

Thanks!

racheeel

HSC
I'm currently studying stats at usyd but I'm guessing the subject is the same anywhere. It's a lot of probability - you start with basic probability, then you go into binomial probability and in the end you study different tests of significance for hypotheses involving probability.. If you keep up and attend all your lectures and tutorials you will be fine. I only studied ext 1 math for the HSC but I'm finding it alright.

Hope this has helped!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, that is statistics you will go through in uni - however, for a stats major, what rachel described above is pretty much umm... 20% of your basic stats course. The rest of it gets quite mathematical and... to me, at a level of difficulty that could stump you for a bit.

More advanced stats go on about probability distributions, inference, theory of sampling and how to mathematically determine things like the bias of estimators you use to estimate your data, etc. etc. Statistics is basically the organisation of data, you have data - and you're going to make it useful for someone.

Though since you're going to UNSW, you don't actually do that stats course I described until second year. For stats, you should be fine with MX1.

Workload is... acceptable. If you keep up with it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yes, that is statistics you will go through in uni - however, for a stats major, what rachel described above is pretty much umm... 20% of your basic stats course. The rest of it gets quite mathematical and... to me, at a level of difficulty that could stump you for a bit.
+1. For Engineering and certain Science students at UTS our stats subject is actually mixed in with a maths subject (which also covers linear algebra, multivariable calculus, double/triple integrals etc.). Even though only half of the lectures are stats we still cover all things Rachel mentioned (and a bit more) -it's obvious that in an actual stats course, as opposed to a stats subject, this would only be scratching the surface of the stuff you do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)