5.5-5.7 GPA in Science Adv. (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I wanted to know how diffcult is it to maintain a GPA of 5.5 or 5.7 assuming that I did Bachelor of Science Adv.
I come from a science background and got the highest in biology at my low-ranked school with a mark of (82) and 4th highest in chemistry with a mark of (83).
My atar was 85. So I wanted to know what people think I will get if I work hard in the course.
I'm asking this as I got an early offer from uws (adv science), but I will need to maintain a GPA of atleast 5.5 to stay in the course or else be dropped down to just bachelor of science. Any opinions?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
5.5 to 5.7 is a high credit average. You should be okay if you study consistently and take the assessments really seriously.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
5.5 to 5.7 is a high credit average. You should be okay if you study consistently and take the assessments really seriously.
Yer I will work hard for the assignments.
btw how many hours of study should I be looking to put in everyday if I was to study this course? (assuming at home study)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm on a high-pass average and I got 90 in bio and 87 in Chem (91 in the exam)

Good luck ^_^

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad

Good luck ^_^
We've almost got the same marks :)

In my defense I learned a good deal of industrial chem the night before the exam.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad

Good luck ^_^
Nice :) lol my biology assessment mark was 98 and chem was 87. If uni is mostly about assignments, then I'm up for it! If its about frequent exams... then I'm not the person who should study this XD

Dylanamali

HSC
To OP:

Definitely achievable..
I currently study the same course.

1st Year Adv Sci is exactly like a B Sci. The advanced component only kicks in for 2nd/3rd year..
With minimal effort I attained a GPA of 6.875 - attending no lectures and only attending compulsory tuts/practicals and studying 1 week before finals.
So I definitely think that anything around 6.5 is achievable with effort.

Transfer to med in mind?

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
To OP:

Definitely achievable..
I currently study the same course.

1st Year Adv Sci is exactly like a B Sci. The advanced component only kicks in for 2nd/3rd year..
With minimal effort I attained a GPA of 6.875 - attending no lectures and only attending compulsory tuts/practicals and studying 1 week before finals.
So I definitely think that anything around 6.5 is achievable with effort.

Transfer to med in mind?
Yer I was wondering if I could transfer into med! Is it very diffcult to transfer and should I do something else that will gurantee me a perofessional career such as forensic science and then tranfer or does adv science or adv medical science gives you a good shot at medicine or dentistry?

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
Yer I was wondering if I could transfer into med! Is it very diffcult to?
Well.. everyone in the entire Adv Sci / Adv Med Sci cohort desires a transfer to medicine.. so in that sense it is quite competitive.
However in my opinion it truly is the best course you could choose if you seek a transfer into a medical school.

It's easy to maintain a killer GPA @ UWS - which increases your prospects for some undergraduate schools and most postgraduate schools.
AND
It has a scheme for the 'top 6' students, ranked by UMAT. However the top 6 are students BELOW the umat cut-off, in such a way that those that surpass the cut-off are counted in the 6. So the true benefit of the UWS Scheme is that you can gain an interview invitation to medicine with a UMAT score quite significantly below the UMAT cut-off for that year. E.g. the cut-off this year was around 153 weighted UMAT, and I managed to get an interview with a 144 (I was the 6th and final place).

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Whats the usual 6th GPA? (last person in the top 6 to get an interview)

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
not ranked by GPA as I just said..

UWS is easy so I think more than 6 people obtain a GPA of 7.0 for first year, or if not 6.875 or higher.. like myself.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
So its just the UMAT that ranks those 6 spots despite so many getting over 5.5 GPA.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad

Dylanamali

HSC
If uni is mostly about assignments, then I'm up for it! If its about frequent exams... then I'm not the person who should study this XD
UWS assessments for science units are basically this:

Practicals/Tut work (35%)
1 Written Report (15%)
Final Exam (50%)

Dylanamali

HSC
Is it very diffcult to transfer and should I do something else that will gurantee me a perofessional career such as forensic science and then tranfer or does adv science or adv medical science gives you a good shot at medicine or dentistry?
It depends on how good your particular cohort is at the UMAT and how well you perform in the UMAT.
Many students will smash the UMAT the 2nd time around and gain interviews without even needing the "UWS scheme" others (like me) will only improve slightly and need the scheme to gain an interview..

They don't really give you a "good" shot at med or dent.. but they give you the "best"/most efficient shot I guess. At the end of the day the main barriers that prevent students becoming doctors or dentists is either the UMAT or GAMSAT - generally the academic threshold is relatively easy to meet.
The reason why people seeking entry into those two courses do Adv Sci or Med Sci is because these are short degrees, where they can continue to do the UMAT during their undergraduate studies but if all else fails they can quickly graduate their 3 yr degrees and seek postgraduate entry via the GAMSAT.

In terms of providing a professional career, Med Sci and Adv Sci doesn't really do that.. I solely entered Adv Sci with the desire to get into Medicine and I'd say the majority of students studying Med Sci/Adv Sci are in the same boat. Graduating with a 3yr Med Sci or Adv Sci degree will only give you potential careers in research. But generally you'll need further study e.g. Honours or a PhD to gain a "stable and well paying career" as a researcher or as an academic. Survivor would be much more qualified to comment on the Honours/PhD route.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
We've almost got the same marks :)

In my defense I learned a good deal of industrial chem the night before the exam.
I didn't study for any of the HSC exams and spent most of the HSC exam period watching 16 and pregnant and teen mom. :3

#swag

Nice :) lol my biology assessment mark was 98 and chem was 87. If uni is mostly about assignments, then I'm up for it! If its about frequent exams... then I'm not the person who should study this XD
my bio assessment mark was 90% and Chem was like 72%

That means shit all.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
UWS assessments for science units are basically this:

Practicals/Tut work (35%)
1 Written Report (15%)
Final Exam (50%)
35% for practicals and tutes?! Wot?

I thought 15% for pracs was big.

Fuck.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on how good your particular cohort is at the UMAT and how well you perform in the UMAT.
Many students will smash the UMAT the 2nd time around and gain interviews without even needing the "UWS scheme" others (like me) will only improve slightly and need the scheme to gain an interview..

They don't really give you a "good" shot at med or dent.. but they give you the "best"/most efficient shot I guess. At the end of the day the main barriers that prevent students becoming doctors or dentists is either the UMAT or GAMSAT - generally the academic threshold is relatively easy to meet.
The reason why people seeking entry into those two courses do Adv Sci or Med Sci is because these are short degrees, where they can continue to do the UMAT during their undergraduate studies but if all else fails they can quickly graduate their 3 yr degrees and seek postgraduate entry via the GAMSAT.

In terms of providing a professional career, Med Sci and Adv Sci doesn't really do that.. I solely entered Adv Sci with the desire to get into Medicine and I'd say the majority of students studying Med Sci/Adv Sci are in the same boat. Graduating with a 3yr Med Sci or Adv Sci degree will only give you potential careers in research. But generally you'll need further study e.g. Honours or a PhD to gain a "stable and well paying career" as a researcher or as an academic. Survivor would be much more qualified to comment on the Honours/PhD route.
Bro thankyou so much man :)
This made everything clear.

You're an absolute legend for posting and clarifying everything :)
Thanks once again for everything posted.
m so happy right now as I'm now considering to take their early offer :D

Dylanamali

HSC
No worries.

More than happy to help.. I was in a similar predicament last year.
If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM or on MSO.

Just my advice:
Take the early offer and get an offer from UWS in the early offer round, then immediately change your preferences so that you can get another offer in the main round. You may already have your heart set on UWS - but it will be nice to have as many options available for you to make your decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)