B. Sc (Adv. Mathematics) - Benefits of Maths degree over B. Eng (job opportunities).? (1 Viewer)

Peter-PF7

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, I've been looking for an undergrad degree that involves a lot of maths and have so far been directed towards Engineering degrees (particularly mechanical) by people I've spoken to. Just wondering if the Advanced Maths degree is worth doing (as I would prefer to study pure mathematics) - Im not sure what job opportunities are available with a maths degree (other than with finance companies) and what salaries are like.... PLEASE HELP as preferences need to be in by tomorrow for main round offers... Would like to hear from others doing Adv. Maths degrees and what their career aspirations are....

Nick_K

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: B. Sc (Adv. Mathematics) - Benefits of Maths degree over B. Eng (job opportunitie

I'm an Adv Math student going into second year. I started out in combined engineering because like you I was concerned about job prospects, but transferred into straight maths in second semester.

I can tell you that almost everybody I know doing Engineering/Adv Maths combined has dropped engineering as soon as possible. Engineering and pure mathematics are very conflicting (people who tell you Engineering is very mathematical have no clue what they are talking about). Having said that at this stage you haven't seen any real pure mathematics (analysis/algebra/topology) so it's very hard to know if you want to go down "that" maths path.

In terms of career prospects yes pure maths isn't as safe as engineering. I hope to work in finance and if you have no interest in that I'd be careful doing the straight maths. You could do something in applied maths possible (you may like applied more than pure) in something like fluid dynamics? You would have to ask somebody else regarding that though. People say stats is getting quite good at the moment so that may be something to consider.

There are also careers where the employers don't really care about what degree you have so long as you're smart - just be careful cause pure maths can scare off people. If you just say maths though that can be attractive (maybe in trading).

If you really are worried just do the combined degree. If you pick your subjects intelligently you won't lose any time transferring so it's not all that big a deal. Electrical is more mathematical than mechanical supposedly. But pick the stream that appeals better to you personally (if you like bridges do civil etc).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: B. Sc (Adv. Mathematics) - Benefits of Maths degree over B. Eng (job opportunitie

Hi guys, I've been looking for an undergrad degree that involves a lot of maths and have so far been directed towards Engineering degrees (particularly mechanical) by people I've spoken to. Just wondering if the Advanced Maths degree is worth doing (as I would prefer to study pure mathematics) - Im not sure what job opportunities are available with a maths degree (other than with finance companies) and what salaries are like.... PLEASE HELP as preferences need to be in by tomorrow for main round offers... Would like to hear from others doing Adv. Maths degrees and what their career aspirations are....
You said it yourself. You -prefer- to study pure maths, so take the maths options.

If you're good enough, and smart enough, there are jobs available. Yes, not as many jobs available as engineering - but at least you'll probably be doing something you do have a passion for.

The Australian Mathematical Society publishes a magazine called 'Maths Ad(d)s' which is a fantastic little resource which compiles many job advertisements where maths grads are sought out. There's biology, finance, computer science, teaching, statistics, etc.

Get your hands on one of those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)