Advanced Mathematics Degree? (1 Viewer)

R4diance

HSC
Hey BOSers! I'm wondering if any of the students undertaking an Advanced Mathematics degree at any University could answer some of my questions about the Advanced Mathematics degree (USyd/UNSW). I am considering Engineering or Maths to form a major part of my university studies.

I know that these questions may have been answered in FAQs, but I would like some first-hand info from some of you guys :spin:

1. What kinds of career options would be available? What are some common job titles and companies? Job prospects? Salaries?
2. Did you take MX2 in year 12? (definitely taking MX1 in year 11+12) Will that be essential?
3. Any particular reason why you chose this degree? Would you recommend it to anyone?
4. Which university would be the best for this degree?
5. Major differences in Pure/Applied?

Thanks everyone :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hey BOSers! I'm wondering if any of the students undertaking an Advanced Mathematics degree at any University could answer some of my questions about the Advanced Mathematics degree (USyd/UNSW). I am considering Engineering or Maths to form a major part of my university studies.

I know that these questions may have been answered in FAQs, but I would like some first-hand info from some of you guys :spin:

1. What kinds of career options would be available? What are some common job titles and companies? Job prospects? Salaries?
2. Did you take MX2 in year 12? (definitely taking MX1 in year 11+12) Will that be essential?
3. Any particular reason why you chose this degree? Would you recommend it to anyone?
4. Which university would be the best for this degree?
5. Major differences in Pure/Applied?

Thanks everyone :)
1. Check this out. http://www.austms.org.au/Jobs/Full_listings.html

2. Yep. Not essential, but it does make life easier because you will be exposed to 'proof' questions more, which is an essential skill in advanced units.

3. Because I simply love the subject and it is necessary for becoming a Mathematics teacher. And yes I would recommend it to people with a genuine interest in the subject field.

4. I personally prefer USYD's course structures over other universities, but it really doesn't matter too much.

5. Yes, most certainly. To put it simply, pure -> abstract and much more 'proof-ish'. Applied -> many 'physical examples' to observe, and more computations. However, there is a degree of proof involved of course.

R4diance

HSC
1. Check this out. http://www.austms.org.au/Jobs/Full_listings.html

2. Yep. Not essential, but it does make life easier because you will be exposed to 'proof' questions more, which is an essential skill in advanced units.

3. Because I simply love the subject and it is necessary for becoming a Mathematics teacher. And yes I would recommend it to people with a genuine interest in the subject field.

4. I personally prefer USYD's course structures over other universities, but it really doesn't matter too much.

5. Yes, most certainly. To put it simply, pure -> abstract and much more 'proof-ish'. Applied -> many 'physical examples' to observe, and more computations. However, there is a degree of proof involved of course.
Wow. Thanks for the info. Pure maths sounds like a great course to study :)

HSC
1. There's really a range as Carrot has pointed out. Academia, finance, banking, engineering, most science fields, stats are common ones. Education is also a career option - we need more good and passionate maths teachers!! There is an increasing need for number crunchers (applied maths) and maths teachers, so there will be demand for this.

2. Yes, I took MX2. It is not essential but I do recommend it to anyone who is thinking of majoring in mathematics. Its the highest level of secondary maths you'll get your hands on so I'd definitely at least try it out and see if you enjoy it.

3. Interest, mainly. I'm not sure of future careers or job prospects and I'm just going with what I love. The B Sc (Adv Maths) gives you flexbility in that you need to complete units there are not maths subjects - so for example I'm taking some physics and computational science units as well as maths. It is still a science degree, but by 2nd year you can do ALL maths if you wanted to. I would recommend it if one is leaning toward a mathematics major.

4. It varies and doesn't really matter...you end up with essentially the same skill set. You should consider other facts when choosing a university - whether you like that university, whether you have to travel 2.5hours back and forth or can you go down the road to another uni? Is the food there good (lol), can you get a scholarship there, are you staying at college? What about your friends?

5. Applied - using the maths to give insight into other fields (traditionally the natural sciences like chemistry and physics, finance and banking, economics, biology, social science (stats mostly)). Pure - just finding out more about mathematics itself, creating mathematics (debatable), delving into the insane, etc. #purist

R4diance

HSC
Engineering too? Would you need to take another diploma or something? :p

HSC
Depends what field. If you just go into number crunching then probs not, but you might benefit from taking a few engineering/computing electives during your degree, which is definitely possible.

R4diance

HSC
Depends what field. If you just go into number crunching then probs not, but you might benefit from taking a few engineering/computing electives during your degree, which is definitely possible.
Sounds great. Thank you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)