Developing and patenting drugs (1 Viewer)

Hoorayz1

HSC
Yo,

What degree can I study at University which give me qualifications to develop and patent drugs? So far, I've read that medicinal chemistry (at UNSW) gives me knowledge to make drugs. How about Bachelor of Science? Which major in this degree gives me the knowledge to make new drugs and work in an industry for research?

Regards,
Hoorayz1

wilsondw

HSC
Pharmacology allows you to make drugs and you can do this through B Sci or Med Sci. A good combo imo with Pharmacology include Neuroscience or Physiology if you plan on doing a single degree with a double major

Last edited:

Hoorayz1

HSC
Pharmacology allows you to make drugs and you can do this through B Sci or Med Sci. A good combo imo with Pharmacology include Neuroscience or Physiology if you plan on doing a single degree with a double major
Thank you wilsondw. Can you please explain the logic behind your combo? (pharma w/ neuro/physio)

What is the difference between the major Pharmacology in Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Pharmacy? Do both degrees make you become a pharmacist? Do both degrees make you become a research scientist in drug synthesis?

Say if I did a double major of Pharma and Neuro, where do you think I'll be working as? A research scientist on mental drug synthesis? Is that ALL?? Only research?????

Thanks in advance

wilsondw

HSC
Pharmacology is the study of drugs and its effects on the human body as well as diseases while physiology is the study of how the various tissues and organs of the body work to support life and grow. From this you can see that there would be a lot of strong links between these two majors and this can help you understand and consolidate certain concepts a lot more easily imo. Same idea applies to Neuroscience which is essentially the study of the human brain since some drugs will have certain effects on the brain. Note: I don't major in these areas but this is how I see Pharmo and Neuro/ Physio being a good combo.

Well I'm no expert when it comes to the difference between a major in Pharmacology and a B Pharmacy. I know that doing a major in pharmacology does not allow you to become a pharmacist unlike B Pharmacy, but you can become a research scientist in drug synthesis with either of those degrees as long as you complete a postgrad degree.

If you do a double major in pharma and Neuro or physio, you would increase your job prospects imo. Research is not the only thing you can do, there's other things like working in industry and since it appears that you are worried about job prospects the links below will highlight some other examples.

Pharmacology, Undergraduate Major - Course search - The University of Sydney
Physiology, Undergraduate Major - Course search - The University of Sydney
Neuroscience, Undergraduate Major - Course search - The University of Sydney

Edit: you can also check other uni websites

DannyBoy33

HSC
N/A
Yo,

What degree can I study at University which give me qualifications to develop and patent drugs? So far, I've read that medicinal chemistry (at UNSW) gives me knowledge to make drugs. How about Bachelor of Science? Which major in this degree gives me the knowledge to make new drugs and work in an industry for research?

Regards,
Hoorayz1
msg me on pvt when you make something good :D

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Could also consider a biomedical engineering with the chemical and biomolecular stream

andySBHS2014

HSC
I'd also like to develop drugs and have been looking at the UNSW Advanced Science/Engineering dual degree (chemical engineering)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)