Best Universities for Geology (1 Viewer)

aleveler

HSC
Hi all,
Graduating next year and have started looking at universities. I'm currently doing A levels and am studying Biology, Maths and Geography. Looking at Australia as well as the UK and hoping to study Geology. Looking at the Australian universities it looks like I will have to do a BSc and then major in geology. I've gotten lots of information from different people so I'm looking to confuse myself even more and ask for some more opinions :D
So, what universities are the best in Australia for Geology? Right now I'm looking at USyd, UMel and UNSW. Would prefer studying in Sydney but don't mind Melbourne either. Not too keen on going to Canberra but if anyone has any suggestions for other uni's that would be welcome :)
Also, for anyone thats had experience with both UK and Australian uni's through an exchange or whatever, which did you prefer? Because right now I'm really stuck on where to go.
Thank in advance.

Kymren

HSC
I want to study geology to but I don't have much info on it at the moment. Could you give me anything you have/find out?

aleveler

HSC
Sure, what did you want to know? Google is your friend with stuff like this as well :)

Nicoleelise

HSC
Hi, i'm looking at studying geology too,
my courses are: Earth and environment science, Chemistry, Biology, general maths (which will not help me in geology)
i graduate this year and here's a few i've found.
UNE (Armidale) has a bachelor Geoscience course, which isn't anywhere else on the eastern side of Australia (far as i know) so its a stand out compared to all the BSc majors. QUT (bris), has an Earth Science major, which i've been told is the exact same as a Geology major. Newcastle also has a Earth Science major, i did work experience with about 4 people that studied it at Newcastle and said it was great. Monash (melb) has BSc with major in Geoscience. Uni melb has BSc with Geology Major. Since you're not studying Chemistry you might have to bridge, (learn on campus at the same time) as its a component of many of the courses.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have friends really loving Geology at USYD! Great subjects with good field school excursions (many of my friends went to NZ before semester started). I'm in Geology's twin (Geography) but yeah, if you have any questions you want me to pass on, let me know :) USYD Geoscience faculty has a lot of great opportunities in field work, research opps and an awesome academic staff.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have friends really loving Geology at USYD! Great subjects with good field school excursions (many of my friends went to NZ before semester started). I'm in Geology's twin (Geography) but yeah, if you have any questions you want me to pass on, let me know :) USYD Geoscience faculty has a lot of great opportunities in field work, research opps and an awesome academic staff.
Geography isn't geology's twin...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)