Psychology: USYD vs UNSW vs Macquarie (1 Viewer)

mzxcvbn

HSC
Uni Grad
Currently being a year 12 student, I am struggling to decide where to go for my undergraduate degree. I am looking to pursue a career in psychiatry, meaning an MD down the track. I have heard very good things about Macquarie's psychology school, and is conveniently located (i'm from the hills district, no trains until 2019 and only buses to the CBD). I have also heard many good things about UNSW's science school but transport will be a pain. I really love USYD's campus and general environment, and have many friends going there.

Anyways, I was hoping to find some good opinions from people from these three universities and make a better judgement of them.

Thanks

plutonium-238

HSC
Keep in mind that psychology at UNSW is highly competitive as you're competing against the best in the state (with ATAR averages of 98+). These students average HDs and will do extremely well in their honours year. In addition, they have developed strong critical writing and analysis skills however you will learn to develop these skills throughout your undergraduate degree so long as you have decent tutors and you're committed to the academic life. You'll be spending most of your time in upper campus (near the library) and develop very close knit friendships which will last a lifetime.

If you want more information about UNSW Psych, it's best to talk to previous UNSW BPsych or BPsychsci students. You can join the UNSW Psychsoc page (https://www.facebook.com/unswpsychsoc) and ask the students about what UNSW Psychology has to offer or visit the Psychsoc stall during o-week. Calling the psych office won't give you much information since the office ladies sit on their arse all day doing jack all.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Make a list of pro's and con's.

MQ location with good access to transport/shopping centre is incredibly useful.

However certain earlier unit(s?) in pysch are apparently poorly run.

Personally I'd lean towards USYD for you, as you love the campus/vibe, and have friends who are planning to go to the same university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)