Physics/Astrophysics/Particle Physics (1 Viewer)

ScienceGuy99

HSC
Hi everyone!

I thought I'd put this question up on here to see if anyone can help or ease my stress and worry about it...

I am aware that careers in physics are very rare - especially in Australia - and also the level of maths and science required for this field of science. But I'm unclear on the process of becoming a physicist (astrophysics, particle physics... those types of fields), and also how obtainable a career in physics is in Australia and/or overseas.

Could you please outline the process of becoming a physicist, and what would be required for getting a career in it? :) Do I need a PhD, to relocate, get experience in research in another field of science beforehand, etc..?

To give some background information on myself: I'm in year 11 and my subjects are bio, chem, physics, 3U maths, advanced english and ancient history. I plan to drop ancient history in year 12, and maaaybe pick up 4U maths (just for the exposure to it for university). I have always LOVED science for as long as I can remember, and would do anything for a career in it!! :D

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Make sure you do extension 2, Physics and Chemistry.

Then focus on doing very well in your undergraduate studies in whatever field of science you wish to heavily pursue at uni. Then enter postgraduate studies and work under a few supervisors who would happily take you along for their research. Try to get a job as a researcher at uni.

Or you can work in research for other companies.

ScienceGuy99

HSC
Would a bachelor of science with a major in physics be enough to do a PhD or masters? Or would I need to find a uni with a dedicated physics degree?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Would a bachelor of science with a major in physics be enough to do a PhD or masters? Or would I need to find a uni with a dedicated physics degree?
That would be fine but you'll have to excel in it if you want to stick around and research at uni.

Personally I would pick a uni based on what it can offer you and the research areas/equipment offered. However that's up to you.

ScienceGuy99

HSC
That would be fine but you'll have to excel in it if you want to stick around and research at uni.

Personally I would pick a uni based on what it can offer you and the research areas/equipment offered. However that's up to you.
I didn't think just a major would be good enough haha :p But thankyou :)

Do you know what it's like to get a job doing research at uni in Australia? Do you think all the "action" is happening overseas?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not too sure myself about the sciences because I have not been interested in a career in science research for a long time now. I know that there's some good research in some areas of engineering happening in Australia, but there are some other countries around the world that have stronger research when it comes to certain areas of engineering as well.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
In saying that, for research at uni, a degree still isn't enough if you don't do decently (usually this is presented by honours somewhere, whether it be something you are allowed to take an honours year if you do well in undergraduate study, or is awarded like engineering based on marks)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)