Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sida1049

Thread: Is Psychology a Dead End?

Executive Member
    HSC

Is Psychology a Dead End?

If money and time wasn't a factor in my life, I would become a counsellor.

It takes a minimum of 6 years to become a practicing counsellor in Australia.

It's hard to find a job unless you start your own business.

Is Psychology a Dead End?

I planned to study Commerce/Adv Sci (Psych), so it would be useful for me to do counselling when I grew older to help out people in need, but is it really worth it?
    MX2 - ADV - ECO - BUS

HSC

Re: Is Psychology a Dead End?

Don't psychologists usually start their own business

HSC

I heard from one of my friends that there are 2 types of psychology you study in psychology. The first is a more scientific approach ie how the neurons interact in the brain/which parts of brain corresponds to which parts of brain they include subjects relating to anatomy. The other one is a more humanitarian approach ie how people think and you study subjects like criminology.

So, if you are aiming to be a counsellor then I would recommend studying the humanitarian side of things which won't necessarily be covered in Advanced Science.

In regards to whether if Psychology is a dead end, I think commerce can help you as a back-up plan so if you can't get a job as a counsellor. However keep in mind that a commerce degree is only 3 years, but if the extra 3 years of advanced science can allow you to potentially get you into a job you really want then I would say you can go for it.
    Why I love confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    yes - but there are always new cute white grills to hit on more and more turn 18 every day

Executive Member
    HSC

My original plan was to do Comm/Law, get rich and become a counsellor happily at 30, teaching at 40 and retire at 50.

Looks like I'll do that. Thanks everyone for their response.
    MX2 - ADV - ECO - BUS

HSC

or just marry me bby, i luv u long tiem
    3u Math
    3u English
    Chemistry
    PDHPE
    Business Studies

HSC
    N/A

If you put ample effort and energy into achieving it and go above and beyond you may have a bit of trouble but you'll get there

If you go with the flow then it's not the easiest industry to get into
    Site Moderator: Business Studies, Community & Family Studies, Information Processes & Technology, Information Technology,University of Technology Sydney, All General Discussion Boards

Bachelor of Commerce (Finance & Banking) @ University of Sydney
    Operations @ Big 4 Bank

HSC

It goes same with all branches of medicine. You spend a lot of time and a lot of money investing on something and after graduating one needs to invest in practical part as well. I love psychology but unfortunately this part is inevitable.

HSC

I also wanna ask a question about Psychology, is forensic psychology a viable career path and in demand? Especially if you live in an area with low crime rates? I live in western suburbs of Sydney and to be honest, I don't see much happening on the news... (which is a good thing of course) Would I have to start my own business or what? It seems like I need connections to even study forensic psychology? Sorry for so many questions, I just feel bummed out about the potential careers D:

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Frostguard View Post
    I also wanna ask a question about Psychology, is forensic psychology a viable career path and in demand? Especially if you live in an area with low crime rates? I live in western suburbs of Sydney and to be honest, I don't see much happening on the news... (which is a good thing of course) Would I have to start my own business or what? It seems like I need connections to even study forensic psychology? Sorry for so many questions, I just feel bummed out about the potential careers D:
    I have not looked into this at all, but it's probably in very low demand. Finding a job in the field of forensic psychology would very likely prove to be quite a challenge.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    I have not looked into this at all, but it's probably in very low demand. Finding a job in the field of forensic psychology would very likely prove to be quite a challenge.
    ahhhhhhh thanks for the reply I always knew that forensic psychology/criminology both had challenging career paths oh well ill just finish my hsc first then start thinking about my future

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Frostguard View Post
    ahhhhhhh thanks for the reply I always knew that forensic psychology/criminology both had challenging career paths oh well ill just finish my hsc first then start thinking about my future
    Actually, I recommend start thinking and researching about potential courses during your preliminary and HSC years. It's a good idea to have a goal and a direction, so as to motivate yourself throughout your senior high school years. Of course you're not going to be dead set on a degree a week from now (I only reached a decision towards the end of my HSC year), but it's always good to know your options and learn more about different careers and areas of study, how degrees structures and different pathways work. It's especially worth it to read parts of degrees that barely anyone who are doing their HSC would look into, for example, the specific units of study, how much maths would be required (e.g. a psychology major and honours at USYD would involve quite a bit of statistics [more so than most other unis]), how many free electives you may have, how flexible your degree is (if you're considering multiple majors), industry placement programs (if any), et cetera. Not only would it save you a world of pain later (e.g. when you find out that you may need to study a ton of maths for computer science), but it helps you to enjoy and make the most of your degree!

Best of luck for your studies!
    Last edited by sida1049; 24 Mar 2017 at 10:31 PM.
    strawberrye and Frostguard like this.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

Thread Information