Thread: Would studying science and business help in biotech?

Cadet
    HSC

Question Would studying science and business help in biotech?

Thinking about going into biotech, would studying business at uni (as a dual degree with science help)?

I've heard a lot of biotech involves being able to market your tech (even if just a scientist) and manage a business and a business degree is really important.

I've also heard people say that while business is important you wont require a business degree and that most business related skills are just learnt on the job-these people say that at the most take some business courses but don't get an additional degree.

Could someone clear things up for me please?

-on a side note anyone at UNSW taken a general education course in business , was it useful?

HSC
    N/A

Re: Would studying science and business help in biotech?

Quote Originally Posted by shumphrey View Post
    Thinking about going into biotech, would studying business at uni (as a dual degree with science help)?

I've heard a lot of biotech involves being able to market your tech (even if just a scientist) and manage a business and a business degree is really important.

I've also heard people say that while business is important you wont require a business degree and that most business related skills are just learnt on the job-these people say that at the most take some business courses but don't get an additional degree.

Could someone clear things up for me please?

-on a side note anyone at UNSW taken a general education course in business , was it useful?
    This is somewhat true but it really depends on what you want to do in biotech. If you want to work in a lab as a scientist then you really don't need any business skills but if you want to work in marketing or some other business role like product management then I don't see why you shouldn't just go for the whole degree. It's only an extra year added to your science degree (which even in dual mode has enough room for a biotech major and some electives). The general education business courses are, apparently, very soft and a waste of time (or so I've heard).

Thread Information