vectors and linear algebra (1st yr uni) (1 Viewer)

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
(also x-posted in usyd)

my trouble:

if i'm given 2 points, say, P(x,y,z) and Q (X,Y,Z) and i want to find the line through them, i assume i use the formula (if wanting parametric vector eqn)
r = ro +tv

now do i take P to be ro and Q to be r, or do i make Q into the parallel vector v ?????? can i even plug in Q(X,Y,Z) to get v? i don't think thats right..... HELP

also,

how about orders of operations concerning dot and cross products?

like say i had a . b x c ?

thanks dears

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
Ok, to describe a line in R<sup>3</sup> we need two things, 1. a point on the line (r<sub>0</sub>) and 2. a vector parallel to the line (v).

1. is easy, we're given two points to choose from so just pick one.
For 2. just remember the vector PQ is parallel to this line (and remember this vector is just < X-x, Y-y, Z-z >).

so r = < x,y,z > + t< X-x, Y-y, Z-z >

As for the order of operations, you must do the cross product first. Remember, a x b is a vector, but a . b is a scalar.

In your example of a . b x c, if we do a . b first, we get some scalar, s, then s x c doesn't make sense :) So yeah, cross product first (because that makes sense and we get another vector) and then the dot product (which again makes sense).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
darkliight said:
Ok, to describe a line in R<sup>3</sup> we need two things, 1. a point on the line (r<sub>0</sub>) and 2. a vector parallel to the line (v).

1. is easy, we're given two points to choose from so just pick one.
For 2. just remember the vector PQ is parallel to this line (and remember this vector is just < X-x, Y-y, Z-z >).

so r = < x,y,z > + t< X-x, Y-y, Z-z >

As for the order of operations, you must do the cross product first. Remember, a x b is a vector, but a . b is a scalar.

In your example of a . b x c, if we do a . b first, we get some scalar, s, then s x c doesn't make sense :) So yeah, cross product first (because that makes sense and we get another vector) and then the dot product (which again makes sense).

Hope that helps.
omg
thankyou
thats so simple
i wish i could send you e-flowers or chocolates.
why can't my lecturers/tutors explain it like that. ARGH

THANKYOU

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)