maths at uni (1 Viewer)

3unitz

HSC
N/A
take2
hello

i wanna do a double degree at uni with mechanical engineerin and maths im thinkin applied maths will go well..? but if theres any job applications for pure maths and wat do you learn in pure and applied?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
pure maths is closer to what you learn in high school, but other than its a whole new ball game when you get uni. im currently leaning towards applied maths but that may change. just see how you go in high school first and see if maths is your thing.

in terms of jobs, engo/maths is currently getting more popular with the finance sector because a finance major doesnt actually teach much analytical thinking. i guess its good to have a deeper understanding of partial differential equations other than knowing the black and scholes equation.

Affinity

HSC
If you do a combined degree, choose 2 fields which are entirely different

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
blackfriday said:
in terms of jobs, engo/maths is currently getting more popular with the finance sector because a finance major doesnt actually teach much analytical thinking. i guess its good to have a deeper understanding of partial differential equations other than knowing the black and scholes equation.
mm sounds good. From my preferences, im going to choose between:
UNSW
BE(Computer)/BSc(Mathematics) - Double (5yrs)
BE(Electrical)/BSc(Mathematics) - Double (5yrs)

So it would be better to do eng/maths for the financial sector rather than eng/comm. thats awesome because i have been confused about this for a while.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i wouldnt say its BETTER to do eng/sci than com/eng to get into finance. just that recently, they have been favouring engo grads over straight finance majors.

the electrical eng people (phD, not undergrad) i know have been telling me that the new thing is price discrimination when selling power, so at each time of the day, you sell power at a different price according to demand. that tells me an acct/fins major combined with electrical eng may be very good.

Raginsheep

HSC
I've always been told that the major reason engo grads get finance jobs over straight finance grads was that engo grads have better quantitative skills.

If your doing a quantitative degree in addition to commerce then this wouldn't be an issue any more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)