masters in maths (1 Viewer)

fitz33

HSC
This is from unsw: "There is no requirement for MCom students to have studied business or commerce in their first degree."

I was wondering if the same applies for masters programs in mathematics at any uni..so far i get the impression that for a masters in maths you have to have done a maths undergraduate course.

maniacguy

You won't necessarily have had to do an undergrad course, but you need a basic (i.e. first year, possibly some second year) knowledge of it at the very least.

At UNSW, for instance, if you wanted to do a Masters in Statistics, then in the past you would haev been expected to understand second year statistics at the least (in some cases more than that) and asked to do undergrad subjects first to get the necessary background.

From this year on there will be two introductory subjects to teach all the statistics type stuff that is necessary, but you'd still be expected to know bits of first year maths (e.g. how to multiply matrices can come in handy)

In pure maths, on the other hand, you definitely need knowledge of maths, because the masters subjects are the same subjects offered to the honours students, which tells you what level they're meant to be at (although I think there are maybe 2 or 3 at the outside doing a masters in pure at UNSW...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)