Maths at Uni (1 Viewer)

lolcakes52

HSC
I know this isn't necessarily the best place to post this thread but I know that there are a lot of people who study Maths at university that browse this forum and I believe this question applies to a lot of the people in this forum.

Where is the best place to study mathematics at university if you live in Sydney?

Don't take the ATAR requirement or distance into consideration, I want to know which place is better and by how much.

Currently I am leaning towards UNSW, but Sydney and, maybe, ANU are other strong contenders.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You realise ANU is not in Sydney correct?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I know this isn't necessarily the best place to post this thread but I know that there are a lot of people who study Maths at university that browse this forum and I believe this question applies to a lot of the people in this forum.

Where is the best place to study mathematics at university if you live in Sydney?

Don't take the ATAR requirement or distance into consideration, I want to know which place is better and by how much.

Currently I am leaning towards UNSW, but Sydney and, maybe, ANU are other strong contenders.
Sydney = Not as much content, but they go more deeply into the theory and are much more rigorous with the material taught and would be closer to professional Mathematics.

NSW = More content, but doesn't go as deeply as Sydney.

Source: I have course books for both.

lolcakes52

HSC
Yeah but, like I said, distance isn't much of an issue as long as I can get home in a car on the weekends. I don't mind moving but I don't want to be separated by my family and/or friends by a plane trip or day in a car.

math man

HSC
N/A
I reckon usyd is better. First of all as carrot said usyd does a very rigorious treatment of the material whereas unsw just chucks a whole lot in. Having past papers from both
i see that usyd's papers are a lot more theoritical, with a lot of proofs, whereas unsw is just computational stuff even for the more pure topics as they dont really get to focus
on the proofs.
Also another thing i know is that the adv course is easier at unsw because it is not a strictly 4u requirement, it is open to 3u ppl as well and therefore it makes it easier. Even though
usyd allows top 3u kids to do adv, they most likely do bad or drop cause the course assumes all 4u knowledge (none is taught) and you basically have to teach some 4u topics to do
adv maths at usyd.

Now the above applies iff you want to do adv maths. If you want to do normal maths it is easy at any uni you go to.

seanieg89

HSC
I do agree with carrot and math man in their claims that usyd>unsw, but that said, I want to emphasise that the difference isn't that large if you complete your entire undergrad degree there. Their senior units get more rigorous than their junior ones. I personally know a couple of graduates from there who have clearly had an excellent undergrad education. And ANU is also excellent, at least on par with usyd in my opinion.

HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently from word of mouth I was told that pure maths is better at USYD but applied and stats were better at UNSW. I could be wrong though.

In all, it also depends on what you want to major in. But then again, there's not much difference anyway.

So after all, you could rather consider the social life of the uni, the course structure and all that, as Carrotsticks said.

lolcakes52

HSC
Say I wanted to major in adv maths but do a bit of computer science and/or commerce? Again, Maths is definitely a priority.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
UNSW is probably better for the computer sciences and commerce.

lolcakes52

HSC
Thanks guys! USYD is now my first preference as its closer and seems to have a better program by the sound of it.

HSC
I'm guessing most people doing adv math are guys? :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)