ICAS Mathematics Competition (1 Viewer)

Web Addict

HSC
Hi.

So, the ICAS Mathematics Competition is held tomorrow. Do you guys have any tips or trick that you would like to share? Also, are the questions in this competition similar to the Australian Mathematics Competition that were held about two weeks ago?

Thank you.

Web Addict

HSC
A handy tip that I've learnt from other users and threads is that the amount of ways a number can be expressed as the sum of consecutive integers is the product of the powers of it's prime factors plus one respectively.

lightingbolt

HSC
N/A
when is this competition,

I wont to do it, is it too late! How should I apply?

Where would it be held? is it during school time? do you get any award? Do I have to pay to get in?

Web Addict

HSC

Where would it be held? is it during school time? do you get any award? Do I have to pay to get in?
Wow. So much questions...

The competition is tomorrow during school time, so obviously it is too late to pay to participate. If you do the competition, you do get a certificate of Participate, although if you do well, you can get higher certificates, just like any other competition.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
It's all about speed really, not so much mathematical ability. There are 40 questions and about 30 of them are piss easy with the remaining 10 not being that difficult either.

Don't expect to finish the test honestly. I didn't finish it last year (got up to the last question, didn't attempt it). Also the scores are very close, for example, last year in year 11 the cut-offs were:

Credit is low-mid 20's out of 40.
Distinction is mid-high 20's out of 40.
High distinction is 30-33 out of 40.

Last year first in the state was only 34/40, so lol not that hard to do well.

Web Addict

HSC
It's all about speed really, not so much mathematical ability. There are 40 questions and about 30 of them are piss easy with the remaining 10 not being that difficult either.

Don't expect to finish the test honestly. I didn't finish it last year (got up to the last question, didn't attempt it). Also the scores are very close, for example, last year in year 11 the cut-offs were:

Credit is low-mid 20's out of 40.
Distinction is mid-high 20's out of 40.
High distinction is 30-33 out of 40.

Last year first in the state was only 34/40, so lol not that hard to do well.
That's really interesting.

Does the Australian Mathematics Competition about two weeks ago test mathematical ability?

So from what you've said, I won't need to worry too much about the last ten questions. From what I remember, all questions are worth 1 mark each, right?

By the way, are you doing the competition?

RealiseNothing

HSC
That's really interesting.

Does the Australian Mathematics Competition about two weeks ago test mathematical ability?

So from what you've said, I won't need to worry too much about the last ten questions. From what I remember, all questions are worth 1 mark each, right?

By the way, are you doing the competition?
Yep I'm doing the competition. The AMC two weeks ago is MUCH harder and definitely tests mathematical ability. The test tomorrow is really just simple algebra/geometry with a few questions thrown in here and there that are somewhat challenging.

Yep every question is worth 1 mark. Though you should still attempt the last 10 questions, 5 of them are multiple choice and they really aren't all that bad.

iBibah

HSC
How many people sit this exam?

Web Addict

HSC
Yep I'm doing the competition. The AMC two weeks ago is MUCH harder and definitely tests mathematical ability. The test tomorrow is really just simple algebra/geometry with a few questions thrown in here and there that are somewhat challenging.

Yep every question is worth 1 mark. Though you should still attempt the last 10 questions, 5 of them are multiple choice and they really aren't all that bad.
Ok. I shall try my best to do every question.

Last year, I did better in the Australian Mathematics Competition than in this one. Weird, considering it's easier and doesn't test mathematical ability as much. I remember last year, I spent so much time on the first question, which was about probability of a dice or something like that, but I still ended up getting it wrong. LOL.

How many people sit this exam?
I believe that a lot less people do this competition than the Australian Mathematics Competition.

Last edited:

lightingbolt

HSC
N/A

I go to a shit school guys,

I hope I culd also do the compettion, sadly I can't due being this late! I hope I can do it, I really want too, is there anyother competetions for science and maths I can do, school based and non- school so I can get certificates of HD. I am good at maths, I know I could be getting HD, can I still do it.

Guys help, me you will be like me one day asking for the same help, so don't be dogs. help

Web Addict

HSC
I go to a shit school guys,

I hope I culd also do the compettion, sadly I can't due being this late! I hope I can do it, I really want too, is there anyother competetions for science and maths I can do, school based and non- school so I can get certificates of HD. I am good at maths, I know I could be getting HD, can I still do it.

Guys help, me you will be like me one day asking for the same help, so don't be dogs. help
I believe that it is too late to do any more competitions. Most of them have already passed.

Also, what do you mean by "don't be dogs?" No one has said or done anything for them to be called "dogs."

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
In last year's ICAS yr 11, time management was an issue even though I enjoyed maths... I'd expect that it would be the same in this year's paper *I smell Omed in this thread*

Web Addict

HSC
In last year's ICAS yr 11, time management was an issue even though I enjoyed maths... I'd expect that it would be the same in this year's paper *I smell Omed in this thread*
Who or what is Omed?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
So, what does Recondit mean by "I small Omed in this thread?"
A bolt that enlightens a bean which is very spiritual shall lead you to the path of knowledge and wisdom, young padawan.

RealiseNothing

HSC
I doubt anyone in the state actually finished the test last year.

lightingbolt

HSC
N/A
So, what does Recondit mean by "I small Omed in this thread?"
lol, he is just refering to himself as being a dame shit!

One then you, everyone will be working under me, I will be a doctor,, give all you guys bad medicine and kill you. (I AM BACK)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)