Best university in Australia to study maths (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
I am looking at universities that offer BSc(advanced maths) and I am unsure of which is the best.

University of Sydney having a significantly higher ATAR cut off than UNSW makes me wonder if their is any reason for this.

Cheers for assistance.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Same shit. Different smell of campus.

Of course I love UNSW campus, but others like other campuses.

Go UWS (lol jokes).

I just have to point this one out:

Diary of a state ranker:

YEP LETS JUST PICK THE AVERAGE BETWEEN THE 2 ALTERNATING RESULTS BECAUSE YOLO AMIRITE

NO PROBLEM JUST DO IT EVEN THOUGH IT MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS A GREAT APE TEACHING AT USYD MATHS TUTORIALS (which makes quite a lot of sense actually)
lol

Even I wouldn't say that about another uni let alone my own.

LizzyGrant

HSC

Go UWS (lol jokes).

Diary of a state ranker:

lol

Excuse you

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Excuse you
Nao soz.

Seriously though for engineering when I went there for some intro thing there the only thing they assume when you start learning is that you have a year 10 knowledge of maths. Most other unis assume at least 2U minimum, some even 3U.

D94

HSC
N/A
I am looking at universities that offer BSc(advanced maths) and I am unsure of which is the best.

University of Sydney having a significantly higher ATAR cut off than UNSW makes me wonder if their is any reason for this.

Cheers for assistance.
The USYD Advanced Maths is different to the UNSW Advanced Maths.

UNSW Advanced Maths is an Honours degree, whereas USYD Advanced Maths is without Honours. That's not to say one is 'better' than the other.

Cutoffs are based on supply and demand. UNSW might have a greater supply than USYD, even with an equal demand, and this might lead to a lower cutoff. It doesn't dictate the quality of the course or the lecturers you will have though.

Last edited:

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad

Go UWS (lol jokes).

Diary of a state ranker:

lol

the fk m8? uw0t

LizzyGrant

HSC
Nao soz.

Seriously though for engineering when I went there for some intro thing there the only thing they assume when you start learning is that you have a year 10 knowledge of maths. Most other unis assume at least 2U minimum, some even 3U.
Wtf, even for med sci 2u is a prerequisite, that's a bit retarded

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Wtf, even for med sci 2u is a prerequisite, that's a bit retarded
Idk but the guy presenting it said so that you don't need any level of maths knowledge at all.

He could have lied for advertising as only myself and my mate put our hands up as students doing 4U when he asked in a room filled with 200 students.

Also, I think only half the room put their hand up for 2U so yeah....

It actually makes sense now if he was just advertising because he said something along the lines of:

"Don't worry we don't assume more than year 10 maths. But it would be nice if you done at least 3U maths."

Then again, my mate who got a mystery mark ATAR (I'm being legit this person got a less than 30 ATAR), was given an offer to study at UWS (not sure if UWS college or UWS though) for civil engineering for second semester start......

I know another friend accepted into UWS college with 49 ATAR for elec eng.....

Not sure if these are just attempts to grab money or if they actually are trying to get more people to go to uni.

LizzyGrant

HSC
Idk but the guy presenting it said so that you don't need any level of maths knowledge at all.

He could have lied for advertising as only myself and my mate put our hands up as students doing 4U when he asked in a room filled with 200 students.

Also, I think only half the room put their hand up for 2U so yeah....

It actually makes sense now if he was just advertising because he said something along the lines of:

"Don't worry we don't assume more than year 10 maths. But it would be nice if you done at least 3U maths."

Then again, my mate who got a mystery mark ATAR (I'm being legit this person got a less than 30 ATAR), was given an offer to study at UWS (not sure if UWS college or UWS though) for civil engineering for second semester start......

I know another friend accepted into UWS college with 49 ATAR for elec eng.....

Not sure if these are just attempts to grab money or if they actually are trying to get more people to go to uni.
They have an overwhelming amount of iPads to give out

Stygian

HSC
I've had a lot more exposure to the Usyd Maths Department

I like how they do things there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)