Mathematics Textbook Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
So I've noticed looking around the forums there hasn't really been too much mention of good textbooks for university level mathematics and beyond. There's so many choices from all around the world on such a wide range of subjects, and deciding on books to buy have proved quite overwhelming for me personally haha.

So I thought we could use this thread for recommending/requesting recommendations of textbooks to each other. :)

--

I'll start; I'm looking at majoring in mathematics and statistics, and I've resolved to start building my own small "professional library", so to speak. As I usually get a lot of money for Christmas I think these holidays would be a good time to start.

I'm going to be doing advanced second year units in 2015, which I imagine will be a big step up from what I'm used to, so I'm looking for books (outside the prescribed texts for the courses themselves) that will cover/extend a lot of the major topics so I can get a head start, and also supplement my learning when uni goes back. My major priority at the moment is to get books on analysis, as I anticipate that subject will be causing me the most headaches next year haha. But I'm also looking for stuff on linear maths/vector calculus, discrete maths, graph theory and general statistics.

More generally, I'm also looking for books that cover the fundamentals: calculus, linear algebra etc. I've already got Stewart's Calculus and 2 study guides related to that, which have proved quite helpful so far, and it looks like it will be for next year too. But I'd like to know if there any more calculus books worth checking out. And as for linear algebra, well, don't really have anything for that, so I'd welcome suggestions for that too.

Sorry, I've probably asked too many questions for one post haha. But if anybody has recommendations for any of the subjects I mentioned above I'd appreciate it :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)