Intermediate Value Theorem Proof Q (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
Anyone willing to help out with part c)? thankssss

Last edited:

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

From the top of my head, for (i) I can think of and for (ii) I can think of . For (iii), you will need to consider the case where the you split the interval into and and apply the Extreme Value Theorem + definition of a limit. Perhaps someone like InteGrand can actually give a more detailed solution, since I cbf typing it up on LaTeX.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I think you'll be able to get the essence of the proof from here (slightly different Q):

NEW QUESTION:

Don't know if this was the right place to post this q.

Since is continuous on , it continuous on for any positive real number . If is never positive, then clearly attains a maximum (0) at x = 0. So assume is positive somewhere in the interval , where is some positive real number.

By the Extreme Value Theorem, attains a maximum value on , say at . Since , it means that for all greater than some positive number (which must be greater than ), we will have . Now consider the interval . By the Extreme Value Theorem, attains a maximum on here. If , then attains the maximum value on the interval (since for all and for all ). Otherwise (i.e. ), attains the maximum value on , since for all , for all , and for all . In either case, indeed attains a maximum on (the maximum being ).

(The represents f, the font messed up a bit.)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
anyone willing to help out with part c)? Thankssss

PROOF OUTLINE:

Let .

By definition of limits to infinity, there exist such that whenever and whenever . So , and:

(1)

(2) .

By the extreme value theorem (since f is continuous), attains a maximum value on .

Since when , this maximum satisfies . (3)

(1), (2) and (3) imply that f attains a maximum value on , namely .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)