Best uni for maths (1 Viewer)

FridgeBoy

HSC
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge about the following degrees and their respective unis? I'd be interested to see which you think is the best, keeping in mind that my closest uni is definitely Wollongong (about 40 minutes drive) and I am considering a career in the 'behind-the-scenes' world of finance using maths to solve financial problems.

Also, if you have any information about industry links, lecturers, university life, scholarships etc. that would be greatly appreciated. The degrees are:

- BACHELOR OF MATHEMATICS AND FINANCE (HONOURS) (DEAN'S SCHOLAR) (University of Wollongong)
- BACHELOR OF MATHEMATICS ADVANCED (University of Wollongong)
- ADVANCED MATHEMATICS (UNSW)
- BACHELOR OF MATHEMATICS AND FINANCE (UTS)

Thanks very much for any feedback, it's much appreciated.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW and University of Sydney are great choices for Mathematics. For my first year of uni back in 2013, I've been to a non-GO8 uni (I shall not name the uni) and studied math there and the overall experience was very very poor (i.e. teaching, support, the number of math subjects/units offered there was very little, and even motivation and engagement of fellow students). I had a personal tutor at that time (one on one) where she topped all her previous subjects, on the uni's dean's list etc., transfer also to ANU (really surprising!). So by that, I applied for UNSW/USYD transfer and was probably the best decision I've ever made.

So I chose the UNSW route, and a fellow higher-year Math student even said to me "always pick a GO8 uni if you're aiming to study a Science/Math related course".

Silly Sausage

HSC
P.S. If you look at the curriculum, a typical math degree at UTS has striking similarities to an industrial engineering degree (which is not available as an engineering major in Australia) although the mathematics and finance degree is probably different.

You should seriously consider adding USYD to the list if you're interested in financial mathematics as it is listed as a specific major (Financial Mathematics and Statistics).

Flop21

HSC
OP would probably get a scholarship at UOW if he was good at maths though.

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
how in the world is USYD's maths good, they make so many errors in their resources which confuses the heck out of me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)