Learning 3U over the holidays? (1 Viewer)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
What would be the best way to self-learn HSC 3 unit mathematics over the holidays? My desired courses have it as assumed knowledge and I don't really want to fall behind because of it.

Last edited:

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
The best way is to first learn the desired topic in depth via textbooks or videos (eddie woo is da bomb and is my go-to maths guide). Once you know the topic well enough, get 2-3 textbooks and do questions from them (don't have to do all if they are just repetitions of each other). Variety of textbooks gives you exposure to a variety of questions and helps to broaden your knowledge. I suggest doing the questions from the cambridge 3u books as they have a really well structured arrangement of questions.
If you want, do some trial and HSC papers just to get a taste of the harder questions.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Which course are you planning on doing, you should just study main relevant topics

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
B software engineering most likely, I've looked at the subjects within that course but how do you look at the topics in those subjects?

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
I heard that probability/binomial and application of calc are pree big. Don't quote me on that tho

keepLooking

HSC
I heard that probability/binomial and application of calc are pree big. Don't quote me on that tho

. . . .

I haven't been told any specific topics but it seems pretty much the whole 3unit course will be used?

sida1049

HSC
I don't think you need to learn the entire Extension 1 course, but here are the main topics I think you probably should familiarise with (in order):

- Further trigonometry (this links to many other topics)

- Integration techniques (this links to Applications of Calculus)

- Applications of Calculus (very important)

Those are the only three topics I'd recommend studying. Yes that's right, just three. However, here are a couple of more topics you may benefit from looking at if you have time:

- Permutations and Combinations (links to Binomial Theorem)

- Binomial Theorem (links to Further Probability)

- Further Probability (not that difficult of a topic itself, but its prerequisite topics may be somewhat challenging)

So there you go. The latter three aren't too relevant, so you'll be probably be fine if you don't do them (although one can never quite get away from statistical and probabilistic analysis... even in an engineering degree).

On a side note, if you are learning by yourself, I strongly recommend the new Fitzpatrick textbook. There are quite a few students selling their textbooks for less than half the retail price for a new one. The questions in the exercises of the Fitzpatrick textbook are highly relevant and their explanations are better than many of the other textbooks I've seen (plus it looks and feels great!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)