What is Data Science ? (1 Viewer)

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Hey y'all,

So now that I've got my atar (97.15) I need to decide what uni degree to do. I was originally looking at doing the double degree of adv maths and conputer science at UNSW, but then I heard about this new thing called data science which is apperently the same as maths but more applicable to the industry and work. So would anyone who knows more about this please share their knowledge on what data science is, how it fares in the job market and where it can go ? Also how does it compare to normal and advanced uni level maths ?

Thanks for your time.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Data science is basically going through large slabs of data to find meaningful insight

It's a combination of statistics and computer programming and the like

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the answer. So would I be better off (in terms of gaining employable skills) to go for data science or advanced maths doing mainly statistical/applied maths ? Also I just read somewhere that Data Science is really good right now, but it won't be for long as the market will become flooded and new technology will replace the need for data scientists. Can anyone confirm/debunk this ? Lastly, if the worst case scenario happens for whatever I choose, how easy would it be to transfer from advanced maths to data science and vice versa ?

Flop21

HSC
Is this bioinformatics or similar?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Thanks for the answer. So would I be better off (in terms of gaining employable skills) to go for data science or advanced maths doing mainly statistical/applied maths ? Also I just read somewhere that Data Science is really good right now, but it won't be for long as the market will become flooded and new technology will replace the need for data scientists. Can anyone confirm/debunk this ? Lastly, if the worst case scenario happens for whatever I choose, how easy would it be to transfer from advanced maths to data science and vice versa ?
There is no 'B Data Science', you're just using statistics and computer programming. Mathematics is a gateway to lots of stuff, and you learn the skills you can apply lots of places. If you do statistics, you can be a statistician but also do this big data stuff and data science.

Also you'll find that technology will be the tool you use to solve these problems, but you still need people who can use them and people who can analyse the results.

Is this bioinformatics or similar?
I think bioinformatics is using these techniques on biological data sets

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Ok I think I need to do a bit more research on this stuff. I'll come back if have any other questions though.
Thanks

pHyRe

HSC
Ok I think I need to do a bit more research on this stuff. I'll come back if have any other questions though.
Thanks
PM me if you'd like. taking some online big data courses at the moment and seriously considering going into it

according to gartner, it peaked last year in terms of hype. this year its not as relevant, people are more excited about machine learning

but maths and stats and comp science are all great and will be transferable and employable skills for at least 5-10 years more if not decades. personally im majoring in financial maths and statistics, and i'll either minor in IT or do some electives there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)