maths at uni (1 Viewer)

are you planning on majoring in maths at uni?

• Yes

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
i was just wondering what proportion of you guys were planning on majoring in maths in your degree at uni next year

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm currently going towards (most likely) a double major in pure mathematics:)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
BSc (Nanotechnology+Pure Mathematics)

Trev

stix
HSC
Is there any university (I haven't been bothered to look it up) where you can combine engineering (mechanical or whatever, don't know what one yet) and a math degree?

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
prob u would ba able 2, althou i guess mechanical engineering n electrical engineering would both be heavly math oriantated in particular. althou no i would not do a pure maths degree... i may like 2 study quantum machanics, or nuclea physics but thats as far as i would go. im lookin 2wards medicine, actuarial, or a degree that would put me in a job were i come in contact with ppl a lil more often... n have u seen those math lectures they r fukn nutz man, but 20 years of high level maths would do that 2 me 2
:D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Your degree is what you make it, Jamil. If you want people contact in a maths degree, you can certainly get it.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
How would Commerce and Maths go together?
I don't even know if I can do that combo unless I do B Com/Sci @ UNSW, but I don't like some aspects of science.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Uh... actuarial studies? :p

A BSc (Maths) at UNSW doesn't involve science, as far as I know - assuming you want to focus entirely on mathematics. Of course you have those stupid Gen Ed units at UNSW.

I haven't looked into commerce/maths, but considering their close relationship I'm willing to bet you could go into such a degree. Of course, it would be questionable whether you'd even be doing applied maths, let alone pure. Stupid statistics.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Uh... actuarial studies? :p

A BSc (Maths) at UNSW doesn't involve science, as far as I know - assuming you want to focus entirely on mathematics. Of course you have those stupid Gen Ed units at UNSW.

I haven't looked into commerce/maths, but considering their close relationship I'm willing to bet you could go into such a degree. Of course, it would be questionable whether you'd even be doing applied maths, let alone pure. Stupid statistics.
Actuarial Studies is notoriously boring though...and probability/statistics really has to be the worst topic in Maths. That said, I haven't ruled out Actuarial as an option yet :p

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
JamiL said:
prob u would ba able 2, althou i guess mechanical engineering n electrical engineering would both be heavly math oriantated in particular. althou no i would not do a pure maths degree... i may like 2 study quantum machanics, or nuclea physics but thats as far as i would go. im lookin 2wards medicine, actuarial, or a degree that would put me in a job were i come in contact with ppl a lil more often... n have u seen those math lectures they r fukn nutz man, but 20 years of high level maths would do that 2 me 2
:D
I have similar leanings to you in terms of math, quantum mechanics, nuclear physics etc. all of which I would like to study. But I want an enjoyable and rewarding career and, given my interests, medicine seems to top them all (I also want people contact). I just wish there was a quality combined adv.Sci/MBBS out there.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Actuarial Studies is notoriously boring though...and probability/statistics really has to be the worst topic in Maths. That said, I haven't ruled out Actuarial as an option yet :p
Dude, you'd be able to predict the future and stuff. You could become a super hero.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
lol... i luv maths at skool... but unlike slide rule, i realy dont know how much of a pure maths degree i would enjoy... its preety funki shit when u try n prove shut... 3 page proof n shit... fuk that i get annoyed wif 1 page questions... lol...
man if ur an actuarialist n u have a grudge on som1 or in fact a whole country u could quiet easly destroy a whole economy... how kool is dat. u prob go 2 jail for it though

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
i made a poor decision on what degree to choose last year and was thinking about changing to a degree that involved more maths

electrical engineering seems to involve more maths than the other engineering courses, does anyone know if this is correct

also does anyone know if can you major in maths in this degree

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You'll need to check the university's webpage for that kind of info.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
maths > english said:
electrical engineering seems to involve more maths than the other engineering courses, does anyone know if this is correct

also does anyone know if can you major in maths in this degree
photonics has one more differential eqns course, but yeah elec is next
you cant major in maths for ee (haha) but you can combine it with a bsc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)