What absurd things have people done in your school due to competition and rivalry? (1 Viewer)

epz

HSC
I'll share what happened to me recently.

It was a bright summer day and it was pretty damn hot. Considering my school doesn't have air conditioning in any room except the library I decided to go there at lunch so I could get some prep done for Chemistry as well as cool off. As I enter the library, a girl in my Chemistry class is leaving from her free period (study period) and she sees me take out my book for chem. (Context: Last year this girl got top marks in prelim yearly exam and is super competitive). So as I was going into the library, she almost stood in my way and interrogated me. "Why are you going Library at lunch?", my reply was with honesty "Just to cool down a bit and study for the chem assessment as I missed out on some studying last night", she smirked, and said "Aren't you going too hard this year, you must be really dedicated." At this point I was like, what!? It's not as if I want to like demolish you and rip apart your entire life and HSC, and it's not as if I will with 20 minutes of Chemistry study (one of my weakest subjects). Just let me go to the library.

I have way more stories but this one really pissed me off.

Anyways, what's yours?

Last edited:

starshine02

HSC
Re: What absurd things have people done in your school due to competition and rivalry

Wow that's pretty rude of her. I don't really have a story but I do know a few people who purposely say they aren't going to study or to just chill or take a bit of a break when in fact they just spend most their time studying and say that they 'fluked' all their assessments or something.

epz

HSC
Re: What absurd things have people done in your school due to competition and rivalry

Wow that's pretty rude of her. I don't really have a story but I do know a few people who purposely say they aren't going to study or to just chill or take a bit of a break when in fact they just spend most their time studying and say that they 'fluked' all their assessments or something.
+1! I know so many people who do this. Sometimes I assume that they are geniuses or something, but in fact just recently I learnt that they work JUST as hard as all of us to get those good marks. Modesty is cool, but sometimes it's too much hahaha :p I know someone who has been getting consistent 100%'s in 2U Maths, who always comes out of a test and says wow that test was so hard, the fan was annoying me etc etc. and at the end he gets 100%. When I ask him, how do you study for maths or do you study for Maths, he usually never replies or its assumed that he doesn't at all.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

She made a concerned statement about your workload and then complimented your dedication.

Even in context, that doesn't really sound absurd or even competitive.

yasminee96

HSC

It was a bright summer day

Anyways, what's yours?
reminds me of sheldon hahaha

my grade is extremely competitive. my school is split between boys and girls, so there's a boys' high and a girls' high. we had a MX1 exam coming up the next day and i'd told one of the girls in my class that i needed to ask questions to our teacher at lunch, along with a couple others. my teachers office is situated in the boys' high, so me and my two friends walked over there and found that he wasn't in his office. so we went to the secretary and she told us that he'd opened up one of the boys classrooms and was teaching a few girls, but she wasnt sure which room. one boy saw us and pointed us to the building they were in, which consists of about 6 classrooms. so we made an educated guess and opened up one door. surprise, surprise, our teacher, along with every other girl, were having a class where he would answer all his [EDIT:their] questions. when we walked in they all said "omg :O how'd you find us?"

no surprises, the two girls i were with, one of them placed first and the other is just pure genius.

never forgave them for that </3

Last edited:

epz

HSC

She made a concerned statement about your workload and then complimented your dedication.

Even in context, that doesn't really sound absurd or even competitive.
I really put the tone down, and even edited it to not make her sound as harsh, but she had some statements after what she had said. Not only that, this wasn't the first time. She's continued to do this ever since and regularly talks about it to her friends about how much "effort" others are putting in.

HSC
Uni Grad

I remember a year ago, a friend of mine gave out notes to a few people. Then it got spread around to ppl in her circle of friends. Then everyone in that particular group started using them because they were too lazy to make their own. Later some ppl claimed it to be their own, and this blonde chick (who I liked), told me and her about the notes spreading out.

Freaken hell, ppl plz make your own notes ffs, but if you do get other ppls notes, at least credit them for their work.

epz

HSC

I remember a year ago, a friend of mine gave out notes to a few people. Then it got spread around to ppl in her circle of friends. Then everyone in that particular group started using them because they were too lazy to make their own. Later some ppl claimed it to be their own, and this blonde chick (who I liked), told me and her about the notes spreading out.

Freaken hell, ppl plz make your own notes ffs, but if you do get other ppls notes, at least credit them for their work.
That's pretty sad man...... :(
It's happened to me so I can relate. Notes take long time chunks and are usually difficult to perfect. I pride myself on my notes at times because I know I put lots of work into them. Feel sorry for that guy.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Who was this? ;)

Also, I really don't understand how people can do these things...It's okay to have competition with friends but there are certain moral boundaries.

yasminee96

HSC

This reminds me of this girl who was apparently coming first in biology and she had all her notes in her locker a week before trials. inside her locker was also $250. someone literally broke into her locker, stole the notes, and didnt take the money haha. eventually they found out who it was, but that was after trials. poor thing :(

HSC
Uni Grad

That's pretty sad man...... :(
It's happened to me so I can relate. Notes take long time chunks and are usually difficult to perfect. I pride myself on my notes at times because I know I put lots of work into them. Feel sorry for that guy.
Aiish. Damn I feel sorry for you.

As for me, I made notes, but thankfully no-one really wanted them, coz I told them it was crap :p

Who was this? ;)

Also, I really don't understand how people can do these things...It's okay to have competition with friends but there are certain moral boundaries.
I'll tell you on fb, but you probably don't know, coz it was someone from leichhardt.

This reminds me of this girl who was apparently coming first in biology and she had all her notes in her locker a week before trials. inside her locker was also $250. someone literally broke into her locker, stole the notes, and didnt take the money haha. eventually they found out who it was, but that was after trials. poor thing :(
Ouch. What happened to the person who broke into her locker?

epz

HSC

I hope that person who did those horrible things cried like a little bitch when they got caught. Who the hell does something so heartless?

yasminee96

HSC

Ouch. What happened to the person who broke into her locker?

no idea! was a couple years back and a teacher told me this...i'd assume she got some really heavy penalty haha

Bobbo1

HSC

Just a heads up for everyone: Please don't get caught up into the hype of the HSC, at the end of the day its just a small step in your life and you shouldn't be sabotaging your friends or even anyone else for that matter just to get ahead. By all means engage in friendly competition but just remember what goes around comes back around ;).

starshine02

HSC

That's just horrible! Never thought people would be so desperate.

SuchSmallHands

HSC

Worst thing that's coming to mind so far was last term. This girl in my year who is really competitive told our entire class that the teacher had informed her of some changes to the exam and told her to spread the word, notably, that a whole chapter that the class had really struggled with was totally removed because we still needed to work on it. No one was prepared for it to be in the exam, and as I said, we had all found it really difficult. When we had our reading time we realised that the chapter was not only still there, but it took up half the test because our teacher wanted to challenge us. What he had actually told her, was that the chapter would constitute more than its fair share of the text so that we would all be forced to study it more and learn it thoroughly. When this all came out in the next lesson, she giggled a little and said that she got a bit mixed up, and thought he said something else. Yet she topped the class in the exam and got pretty much every question right in that part of the paper. More than a little suspicious to me...

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC

It was a bright summer day and it was pretty damn hot. Considering my school doesn't have air conditioning in any room except the library I decided to go there at lunch so I could get some prep done for Chemistry as well as cool off. As I enter the library, a girl in my Chemistry class is leaving from her free period (study period) and she sees me take out my book for chem. (Context: Last year this girl got top marks in prelim yearly exam and is super competitive). So as I was going into the library, she almost stood in my way and interrogated me. "Why are you going Library at lunch?", my reply was with honesty "Just to cool down a bit and study for the chem assessment as I missed out on some studying last night", she smirked, and said "Aren't you going too hard this year, you must be really dedicated." At this point I was like, what!? It's not as if I want to like demolish you and rip apart your entire life and HSC, and it's not as if I will with 20 minutes of Chemistry study (one of my weakest subjects). Just let me go to the library.

I have way more stories but this one really pissed me off.

Anyways, what's yours?
haha m8

the most absurd thing in this thread is the idea that *you'd* consider what she did absurd/competitive and try to anonymously defame her because she made an observation of your study habits

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC

one time this guy in my grade who seemed to be a bit flushed and tired walked into our library so i stopped and asked him why he was studying as i was concerned because he'd been working a lot on school work lately and seemed to even be sacrificing his lunch food to study

i guess he's really competitively natured and paranoid that i'm some sort of rival because then a few days later a friend sent me a link and i found out he made a thread defaming me on a popular student website when i hadn't actually done anything to him

don't you guys think that's a bit absurd?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Yes

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
one time this guy in my grade who seemed to be a bit flushed and tired walked into our library so i stopped and asked him why he was studying as i was concerned because he'd been working a lot on school work lately and seemed to even be sacrificing his lunch food to study

i guess he's really competitively natured and paranoid that i'm some sort of rival because then a few days later a friend sent me a link and i found out he made a thread defaming me on a popular student website when i hadn't actually done anything to him

don't you guys think that's a bit absurd?
Lol'd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)