How to get ahead for year 12? (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Hey guys so prelim is almost over and I am really beginning to wonder on how to get ahead and start learning for year 12. I am great at all my subjects and have no problem with grasping new concepts and would like your advice on what i could potentially do to get ahead and be prepared for the year 12 courses.

I study: IPT, English Adv, Business, Engineering, Math 2u, & Physics. Do you think it would be good if i wrote syllabus notes for subjects that require mostly research like Business and IPT and self teach them to myself gradually?

Also can anyone suggest what the most challenging parts of my other subjects especially Math 2u and Physics are so that i can start on them now.

Thanks guys:drink:

90atarpls

HSC
2u, focus on loan payments, pretty much the only hard thing, but once you understand it its so easy...
I was ranked in the bottom half my class for the first half of the year because i never studied, then study in 1 test and come 2 marks from first, just make sure you study throughout the year, but i cant rlly give that advice since im not even studying full on for trials :S

Break any bad habits if you have them

Also, fuck business, every1 says its easy but i think its guna drag my atar down, gg chem phys plz carry me

Machiavelli1

HSC
Business- basically know your syllabus, if you know it, then everything falls into place very easily. Its a very rote learning subject. Its possible to finish the course in the summer holidays, which I recommend you do and then start pumping out business reports and essays. Most ppl find finance the hardest simply because there is some maths involved, albeit it's pretty simple and only plugging numbers into formulas.

Maths- The usual, practice, practice, practice

English- depends on what texts your doing. Find out and read them over the holidays whilst making notes on key themes etc. Also practice writing essays.

iStudent

HSC
Really make use of your holidays since that's about the only time you can concentrate on studying and getting ahead. For me, it's been assessments like every last half of every term and this makes it really difficult to get ahead because you have to use the time prior to study for these exams. What I did instead was get ahead of everyone using my holidays (I studied like 10+ hrs a day making notes). It might seem a lot but trust me it's worth it! (you don't want to be one of those people who are cramming last minute before the trials after realising how much work they have to catch up on!)

Especially the summer holidays! I used that time to finish writing notes for ALL my subjects. (the remaining time was spent doing math exercises, perfecting my essays and doing past papers).

And right now, I'm all set for the trials (unlike everyone else in my cohort who are struggling to balance between subjects lol)

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
pretty much for all subjects just start working ahead by reading textbooks, making notes, doing questions, etc, etc

astroman

HSC
i'm going to write syllabus notes and just do a tonne of exerecise for maths and phys and hopefully some past papers.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I kinda recommend you take a break and not over exert yourself because you can burn out faster.

Maths 2U - know what topics your school is teaching first, learn ahead in that order. Also when you have finished the syllabus, do past papers 24/7
Physics - go through syllabus dot point and start writing notes
English Adv - watch/read/engage with your texts before you start them and read analyses on them to get an idea of what they're about

astroman

HSC
hey guys thanks for the responses, hopefully i'll start asap after i finish of my yearlies, any tips for HSC engineering studies? I hear that it is very broad and that the effort is not worth the average scaling. Is this true? Any advice would be great.

wagig

HSC
Its a good idea to spend a few hours a day reading a dictionary. It's an excellent routine to get into in order to increase your vocabulary for english!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going to recommend pacing.

There's gotta be some holidays where you take a rest-and I normally advocate the end of yr 11 to have some real recreation. Not that's it's your last chance, but it's an opportune time to have a rest. And the reason for this, to take this last chance to retreat from school, you can come back with some clearer perspective on which subs to drop/pick up (if it's an applicable situation for you) or what changes you want to make in yr12. I know those holidays in Yr 11, I addressed some things in regards to how I monitored stress and a certain toxic friendship and also how to approach subs differently. Removing oneself from something for a little bit is often the best way to get perspective.

Now, I also don't want to instill that it's the only time to take a rest of the whole year. I was personally overseas from last prelim exam-second day of HSC term 4, and then two weeks of the summer holidays again (but I took christmas week off as well) and then trampled overseas again for 3 weeks pre trials (so like last week of Term 2/all the holidays). So that's like at least a solid 9 weeks out of my HSC year I did nothing HSC work wise, but it really didn't impact my score. The breaks refreshed me a lot. The point is that there is more than ample time in the HSC year; it's worth remember it's NOT a sprint, but rather a marathon. You have to intuitively know there are some times where it's more important to put in more effort (i.e trials, HSC externals). You have to know that there are going to be some troughs in the HSC journey where you are less motivated and less productive. It's about managing yourself to not burn your candle out too early, but also if you're in a productive mood to capitalise it. It's about knowing there's time and place for ample sleep, nutrition and your hobby. It's about not about turning yourself into a monospeed HSC robot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)