2014 Internal Ranks Thread (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
Hello All :D

As trials are largely back for us 2014ers, I'm sure some of you will now start receiving your internal ranks. that is, your overall rank for all your school assessments combined together. this rank will be sent to BOSTES and then be used to calculate your moderated school assessment mark.

Anyway, as there was a Trials results thread, here is such a thread for internal ranks.

So post away! And good luck to you all for your HSC! :D

EDIT - Also, since a lot of people are including their school ranks, might as well say - feel free to do so! :D A good way to gauge the strength of BOS' cohort of 2014. :)

Last edited:

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Re: Official 2014 Internal Ranks Thread

hmmm my teachers said that they aren't allowed to tell us our overall internal ranks/marks

mreditor16

HSC

hmmm my teachers said that they aren't allowed to tell us our overall internal ranks/marks
that is complete and utter bullcrap. if you request it as a student, they are obliged to tell you your rank. not mark though, that they can get away with not telling. but your overall internal rank you have the right as per BOSTES to know.

source - so many students and 4 head teachers at my school, one of which who liases with BOSTES a lot.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC

that is complete and utter bullcrap. if you request it as a student, they are obliged to tell you your rank. not mark though, that they can get away with not telling. but your overall internal rank you have the right as per BOSTES to know.

source - so many students and 4 head teachers at my school, one of which who liases with BOSTES a lot.
cool thanks, any website links in the event my teachers say no gtfo?

iStudent

HSC

Topping all subs significantly :)
(dw my school is ranked in the 300s...)

QZP

HSC

Why don't teachers tell us the mark they are going to send BoS? Is it because they tamper with it?

Thank_You

HSC

Don't we get our final ranks (if we do) from our reports? But we don't have our reports yet :read:

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC

Why don't teachers tell us the mark they are going to send BoS? Is it because they tamper with it?
that's exactly what i've always been thinking of.

mreditor16

HSC

Why aren't teachers allowed to tell us the mark they are going to send BoS? Is it because they tamper with it?
From what I've heard, essentially it is the fact that so many students don't understand the process. And if such a student was told their mark was 90, and they actually were in a school that was marking very lenient, and then they saw a moderated internal mark of 84 on their final results in December - so many of these students would be complaining/appealing/inquiring etc.

So they give ranks but not marks, because so many students are unable to grasp how the process works. At least, they will get that the student at 5 rank will get a better moderated mark than someone at 15 rank. That's easy enough to understand.

The system can be confusing for some - just look at how many threads on BOS which ask how the process works. like one a day - I'm not joking.

cool thanks, any website links in the event my teachers say no gtfo?
try looking at this. http://studentsonline.bos.nsw.edu.au/documents/hsc-rules-and-procedures-2014.pdf

otherwise, I think it's not something written formally down on something that is easily accessible...

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC

Also, one thing I'll add is some "tampering" per se does happen, if the head teacher chooses to do so for that subject. They might change around the standard deviation for example to reduce the number of people on same ranks, as marks are rounded to whole numbers. This still maintains the order of ranks. but it just reduces the clustering.

this is especially done in top-performing schools, to spread out strong cohorts doing well as a whole.

mreditor16

HSC

hmmm ... that was a slight derail/tangent lol.

anyone got ranks to share? :D

trungduong12

HSC

My school report has only the trials mark and the rank
Teachers are not allowed to tell students their total marks , but they can tell the students their ranks
Besides
Its easy to know the marks just by calculating ur assessments weight
Why would you ask for it when u can do it urself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

can I post my final 2013 rankings? iirc:

School rank: ~600 :/

Adv English - ~30/~80
Legal Studies - 3/~50
Physics - 1/~20
MX1 - 2/~20
MX2 - 2/~10
Catholic Studies - 1/~80

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

can I post my final 2013 rankings? iirc:

Adv English - ~30/~80
Legal Studies - 3/~50
Physics - 1/~20
MX1 - 2/~20
MX2 - 2/~10
Catholic Studies - 1/~80
school rank or gtfo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)