Is it too late to apply for special consideration with HSC? (1 Viewer)

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

I've had a rough past two years. I got a lot of special consideration and adjustment to my internal marks this year on the grounds of mental illness. I would normally get high 90s (95+) in everything I did but this fell to 80s and sometimes early 90s. My school saw I was underperforming and I told my headmaster everything that had been happening to me, she immediately gave me special consideration and added marks to my exams.

Of course, this was fantastic. But I still feel I am underperforming in HSC because of my issues, and my internal ranks are lower. Is it too late to apply for extra marks externally?

I always like to do things on my own steam, so I was reluctant to request external special consideration, but I really do think I need it

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
no such thing as "extra marks externally"

you do realise special considerations only work with rankings (I hope), so for example I go into ext 1 maths ranked 2nd internally, start vomiting in the exam and go home. I apply for special consideration and hopefully I will rewarded with the second highest mark. They dont just randomly raise peoples marks

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
no such thing as "extra marks externally"

you do realise special considerations only work with rankings (I hope), so for example I go into ext 1 maths ranked 2nd internally, start vomiting in the exam and go home. I apply for special consideration and hopefully I will rewarded with the second highest mark. They dont just randomly raise peoples marks
Thanks for the response.

No thanks for the passive aggression.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Well if that issue was severely affecting your performance on a certain day then you probably should have done it immediately. Tbh I don't know, never applied, but usually you have to be quick about these things.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
someone from my school applied for maths (iirc) from chest pains (asthma attack iirc) and her (his? can't remember too much tbh) application was denied. It is pretty rigorous

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This sounds like an 'ongoing' illness situation in which case applications closed on the 14th July.

If this is a situation that has arisen since then you will need an illness/misadventure form for your exams now and need to see the exam supervisors so they can fill in how it appears to have affected you during the exams.

Why your school didn't put the forms in earlier I don't know. Surely you had to apply for 'special consideration' to the school for them to give you extra marks - as otherwise other students could actually appeal against the school to the BOSTES and have them taken off you again. The principal can't just add marks onto you without paperwork to justify those additional marks.

greengirl01

HSC
I don't think there is any way to change your HSC marks, but you could apply for Educational Access Scheme:
http://www.uac.edu.au/eas/

You have to submit evidence (doctor's certificates etc.) about how you have been disadvantaged (e.g./ mental illness has caused you to miss school, loose motivation etc) over years 11 and 12. While this doesn't change your ATAR it can give you up to 5 bonus points when applying to Uni etc. Your school and principal need to be involved to sign off on it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if your symptoms become worse DURING an exam, or you have flu or a migraine etc you can apply for Illness and Misadventure:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/illness-misadventure.html
You need to get this form from a supervisor after the exam, and go to a doctor on the SAME DAY to get them to sign off. If the illness and misadventure is accepted by BOSTES, they will give you the same external mark as your internal score, if it is higher.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If your ATAR is slightly lower by 1-3 points maybe directly contact the university and try and explain your situation?
(With evidence such as Doctors reports etc)

yma

HSC
EAS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yma

HSC
Think the application has been closed for a while now so it looks pretty slim chance at the moment.
No, it's open till the main offer round (around January). You may not be soon enough for the December round doe. It's not too late to apply for yet. But there're lots of procedures. You kind of need to chase after your teachers to ask them to fill out lots of forms. If you're willing to take the pressure and really need those extra marks, then go for it. You can go to uac and print out the forms today and go to school ask your teachers to do their parts tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)