How to go about past papers? (1 Viewer)

swagmeister

HSC
So this is kind of specific to maths right now however it applies to all subjects so I thought I'd post it here.

What order is it best to do past papers in? Especially with general maths because 2014 was the first year with the new syllabus it becomes quite difficult to work out what to do first - HSC papers, new syllabus trials, old syllabus trials, excel revision booklet etc. I have a collection of about 140 papers if you include the 2001-2014 HSC ones and obviously I'm not going to get through them all (I'll be lucky to do about 40 or 50 before my HSC), so just looking for some advice on which ones to do as well. Of course I want to prioritise new syllabus past papers but there aren't exactly many of those right now... And then I feel as if I do HSC papers now or new syllabus trails or start doing questions from my excel book that I should be not doing those until closer to trials.

Any thoughts, especially from previous HSCers, what order and what papers did you prioritise for maths?

astroman

HSC
Start from the oldest first and continue up to the latest papers for Trials and HSC. For things like topic tests, do your school's past papers as well as specific questions from recent past papers since that's where school's get most of their questions from. Do one or two paper's a week for all your subjects.

klee98

HSC
What I do is I scan through past papers; trials and look for those that are really difficult, beyond my comprehension and store them in a file.
So get your top 50 hardest trials you've ever seen (in terms of questions), including past HSC papers, and then randomise it!
New syllabus or not, they're still questions that you can practise on.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
So this is kind of specific to maths right now however it applies to all subjects so I thought I'd post it here.

What order is it best to do past papers in? Especially with general maths because 2014 was the first year with the new syllabus it becomes quite difficult to work out what to do first - HSC papers, new syllabus trials, old syllabus trials, excel revision booklet etc. I have a collection of about 140 papers if you include the 2001-2014 HSC ones and obviously I'm not going to get through them all (I'll be lucky to do about 40 or 50 before my HSC), so just looking for some advice on which ones to do as well. Of course I want to prioritise new syllabus past papers but there aren't exactly many of those right now... And then I feel as if I do HSC papers now or new syllabus trails or start doing questions from my excel book that I should be not doing those until closer to trials.

Any thoughts, especially from previous HSCers, what order and what papers did you prioritise for maths?
I have about 4-5 new syllabus papers, of which 2 can be found at the link below (one of them does not have answers though)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
some people start with the oldest paper and work forward
some people start with the newest paper and work backward

what I would recommend is do 2013 hsc back to whatever year is relevant (usually 2001), and then do 2014 hsc last.
[except for English, I would actually recommend pestering your teachers for 2015 trial papers in around September]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)