Official BOS Trial 2015 Thread (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
All members who have messaged me prior to today, including those who messaged me after the original cutoff date, have been accepted. I've received all your messages and have already assigned you numbers. If you have messaged me already, you are signed in for tomorrow!

Hello all,

Welcome to another year of our series of BOS Trials! Again, we are hosting three exams. Mathematics Advanced, Extension 1 and Extension 2.

Students who have previously sat in these exams, I invite you all you share your experiences and to discuss the papers. I give you permission to spam up this thread (within reason please!)

This year, I will be capping the attendance to 60 for Advanced, Extension 1 and 2 each.

Here are the links to the past exams, for you to have a feel of the level of difficulty and to see for yourself that these are no ordinary 'trial papers' View attachment BOS Trials.zip

Here is also a link to last year's thread, in case you're interested.

Introduction

The Bored of Studies Mathematics Trials are aimed at students seeking a challenging paper that will push their limits and test how well they REALLY know their stuff. The exams are designed carefully to stay as much within the bounds of the syllabus as possible, whilst maintaining a high standard of questions and proofs of further results. In short, if you think you are good at Mathematics, these papers are most certainly for you. They will interest you, challenge you, and most importantly they will show you that questions/topics that are typically 'boring' can be interesting!

Students will sit the examination under supervised exam conditions and will be allowed to keep their copy of the exam paper to bring home. Afterwards, a team of markers will be marking the exam papers under marking guidelines that I've written (according to how the HSC markers conducts their marking), and sending you results when they are ready.

Fully worked solutions will be provided either on the day of the exam or over the next few days following it. These solutions are carefully explained to allow students to maximise their understanding of the deeper and underlying concepts used in various questions.

Students who may be worried about losing motivation (due to results) are reminded that this is NOT intended to be an accurate reflection of the difficulty of the HSC. The questions are made to be as closely styled to HSC as possible (see previous exams), but this will be your last chance to practise a full exam as close to HSC conditions as possible.

Details

How Do I Register?

Please make a post in here stating that you will be sitting the exam paper, and then send me a private message through here.

In your private message, please use the following template (this information will not be disclosed to the public, and is kept for our references only). If you have some friends you'd like to bring along, please ask them to make an account and message me individually.

Name:

School:

Exams I wish to sit:

If you do not have an account, please feel free to make one.

Also, please feel free to invite your friends, provided that they suit the recommendations (read below).

In response, I will issue you with a student number to confirm your registration. Keep this student number with you on the day of the exam. You can use it to track your results when I put the marks online (only the student number and marks will be shown).

When:

All exams will be hosted on Friday the 2nd of October.

Extension 2 and 2 unit 9:30am - 12:30pm

Break

Extension 1 3pm - 5pm.

Where:

All exams will be hosted at the University of Sydney! Many thanks to them for providing us with a venue to host these exams. We are highly thankful for their assistance in hosting such an event.

Carslaw Lecture Room 351

What to bring:

Yourself and usual exam kit such as pens, calculator etc. No paper is necessary, as we will be providing you with writing booklets, just like in the HSC Examination.

Recommended:

It is highly recommended that students attempting the paper are comfortably in the Band 6/E4 range, aiming for 95+ in any of the Mathematics subjects. The exams will very thoroughly examine your ability to understand how topics are used, and the theory behind concepts.

I also recommend that all students attempting the Extension 2 paper also attempt the Extension 1 paper. I know that typically you may be getting 95%+ raw, but remember these are not like ordinary trial papers!

Favour:

If you know anybody who is good at Mathematics or a 'beast' at it, I ask that you link them to this page. We want to put the best people in the state up against each other for this exam. Consider it a challenge from myself.

Challenge:

I challenge anybody to score higher than 70% in the Mathematics Extension 2 test. State rankers typically fall in the 60-70% range, but nobody has yet broken the 70 mark. Do you think you are good? Perhaps you can be the first.

Cost:

No cost at all. I believe such content should be free to distribute. Education and access to good resources should be unrestricted when sought after.

I look forward to seeing you all on the day!

Carrotsticks.

Last edited:

Mr_Kap

HSC
Hey Carrotsticks, just wondering what sort of marks are 'good' (a band 6), in the past Mathematics Advanced BOS Trials.

Flop21

HSC
Hey Carrotsticks, just wondering what sort of marks are 'good' (a band 6), in the past Mathematics Advanced BOS Trials.
Also, would doing the 2u past trial exams be good practice for HSC? Or should I just stick with past HSC exams?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you are getting 75%, you are pretty much set for a Band 6 in Mathematics Advanced.

Have a go at one of the past papers to determine how you may go this year. The difficulty per year stays roughly the same.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also, would doing the 2u past trial exams be good practice for HSC? Or should I just stick with past HSC exams?
These exams are significantly more difficult than the HSC. If you are already getting ~90% raw in past HSC papers, I suggest you give a go with these papers.

Ekman

HSC
If you are getting 75%, you are pretty much set for a Band 6 in Mathematics Advanced.

Have a go at one of the past papers to determine how you may go this year. The difficulty per year stays roughly the same.
For 4u that isn't the case. I feel like it gets harder and harder every year.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'll wait for Trebla to answer, and he'll give you his opinion on the difficulty of this year's paper with respect to previous years. He is much better than me at determining the difficulty of exams.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I think the MC's for Ext2 have been getting harder in successive years but I think the difficulty otherwise has remained consistent across 2013 and 2014 at least. Given the 2015 paper is still under development, I can't really comment much on it lol.

iStudent

HSC
I scored like just above 50 for this exam. I cried myself to sleep for many days afterwards :(
(just kidding these exams are hard - expect your mark to be pretty low but don't let it intimidate you from trying!).

I ended up scoring 97 hsc for 4u :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)