General Mathematics 2015 Marathon (1 Viewer)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Seeing there is a marathon for 'Maths' , 'Maths Extension 1' and 'Maths Extension 2', I thought it would be a good idea to have a forum dedicated for General Maths with the HSC General maths approaching on the 21st October 2015.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Describe how you would conduct a radial survey (4-5 marks)

happyhunter

HSC
Might as well have a go but isn't there two types Plane Radial and Compass? Anyway these are the steps for a plane table

A table is placed at the center of the field and each corner of the field is sighted and a line is ruled out of each side
The distance is then measured from the table to each corner.
The Angle between each radial line is measured and the radial lines are joined to make a radial survey.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Might as well have a go but isn't there two types Plane Radial and Compass? Anyway these are the steps for a plane table

A table is placed at the center of the field and each corner of the field is sighted and a line is ruled out of each side
The distance is then measured from the table to each corner.
The Angle between each radial line is measured and the radial lines are joined to make a radial survey.
Don't forget to include how you will be measuring angles/distance.

What is comprehensive insurance?

sy37

HSC
What is the function of the "Rate" component of a water bill? Explain using reference to SydneyWater (fig1.1)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
OK now I'm going to get serious, with the first question that I was abit unsure about. I tutor statistics but want to know if someone could break each of these 4 definitions of keywords into simpler terms for me. This was the question from IGS:

I don't know which one is the right answer (surprisingly IGS also didn't have an answer when I checked their solutions as well)

leehuan

HSC
Trying to call on my logic because I haven't done maths general 2 yet (save for after HSC), but discrete quantitative is my prediction.

It's definitely not categorical. And it's not ordinal cause it's not the classic 1-10 scale (or any number). That only increases the likelihood that it's quantitative data, because it's the amount of rain.

Continuous data is taken, well, continuously. I reckon this data is discrete because it takes the amount of rain, over the span of a day, rather than like say millisecond, which would technically still be discrete I suppose. Idk I can't explain it properly.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Discrete means "whole" this means something like number of tries scored on a football field. It is data that can be counted.

Quantified; basically means quantities/it can be counted

Ordinal -> Has an order -> e.g Excellent, High,Satisfactory etc

Categorical; e.g categories such as colours -> yellow/green/blue

Continous data-> data that can be measured, e.g height and weight

Nominal-> Labels for qualitative data, such as hair which doesn't have a defined order

Personally I think its most likely to be "B"

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I initially, thought it was A as well. So Im going to say I was wrong. The terms 'ordinal' , nominal' are used alot in statistics but I guess I haven't really ever looked into much detail about it. I knew 'categorical ' because I studied things like Multiple regression eg

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Did my explanation help?
Yeah it did, I think I will have to keep a little formulae book for myself. (like I do for 2 and 3 Unit). General maths they do give you a formulae sheet but I always like to have my own little notes as well. I am tutoring someone today in general maths and have only put in 30 minutes preparation. With any maths, you have to come prepared.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
General Maths. Learnt something new today, the 'Blood Alcohol Content' formula, its listed on the General Maths formulae sheet......I didn't know that even existed.

Blood Alcohol Content Estimates
BACmale =(10N − 7.5H)/6.8M
or
BACfemale =(10N − 7.5H)/5.5M
N is number of standard drinks consumed
H is number of hours of drinking
M is person’s mass in kilograms

Think its pretty handy to know personally.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
From the 2014 HSC General Maths exam, 'The top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge is 138.4 metres above sea level. What is the percentage error in this measurement?"

A) 0.036%
b) 0.050%
C) 0.072%
D) 0.289%

Anyone know the formula we should be using, my thinking is it should be A. But I get a value that is 1 decimal off that.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
From the 2014 HSC General Maths exam, 'The top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge is 138.4 metres above sea level. What is the percentage error in this measurement?"

A) 0.036%
b) 0.050%
C) 0.072%
D) 0.289%

Anyone know the formula we should be using, my thinking is it should be A. But I get a value that is 1 decimal off that.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
This is from Lyn Baker's book

Im assuming that with percentage error depends upon the decimal value.

For instance if its a whole numbers, it goes to 0.5%
If it goes to 1 decimal, it goes to 0.05%
If it goes to 2 decimals, it goes to 0.005%

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
This is from Lyn Baker's book

Im assuming that with percentage error depends upon the decimal value.

For instance if its a whole numbers, it goes to 0.5%
If it goes to 1 decimal, it goes to 0.05%
If it goes to 2 decimals, it goes to 0.005%
What do you mean 0.5% etc.? There's and example in the book there where the measurement was 80 m (while number), but the error was not founded to the nearest 0.5%.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
My bad I should said if its a whole number, the percentage error should be 0.5. If the number is 1 decimal like this case, it should be 0.05, if it is 2 decimal it should be 0.005? Am I right in saying that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)