HSC 2016 General Maths Marathon (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Just came back from holiday and surprised to see no General Maths forum open , so decided to open one up.

I came across this question from the 2012 HSC exam paper:

Without looking at the answer I think its D, my only reasoning is the median (the 5th value in this case) is on the line of best fit.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Just came back from holiday and surprised to see no General Maths forum open , so decided to open one up.

I came across this question from the 2012 HSC exam paper:

Without looking at the answer I think its D, my only reasoning is the median (the 5th value in this case) is on the line of best fit.
The answer is (B), I believe. For these three-point median regression lines, we have to divide the data into three 'clumps', consider a line connecting the medians of the outer two clumps, and then move this one-third of the way towards the median of the inner clump. See here for more detail: http://maths.gerrydear.id.au/year12/general/Correlation/02 Median Regression Lines.ppt

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I learnt something new. As you can see there is a cross against this question (as I think they don't cover it anymore. I may be incorrect. Its still good to know )

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The l=r\theta isn't actually on the formula sheet, so you are just talking about general mathematics, unless that formula was given to you to use, then I'd doubt you'd be required to do it.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths-general-2-formulae-14.pdf
He might be talking about 2U Maths, since this looks like a typical 2U question (calculating arc lengths of circles).

Edit: oh wait, never mind, there's a formula for when the angle is in degrees in the General Maths formula sheet. So it is probably a General Maths question.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
He might be talking about 2U Maths, since this looks like a typical 2U question (calculating arc lengths of circles).

(He might have meant to put this in his other maths thread but put it here by mistake).
I've seen it used in General Mathematics papers a lot of times too

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I just remember from doing high school level maths textbooks in the past , there was a question that asked us to convert from degrees to radians and using either method it would still result in the same answer but based on that calculation I was wrong.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Edit: oh wait, never mind, there's a formula for when the angle is in degrees in the General Maths formula sheet. So it is probably a General Maths question.
This was from the 2012 General Maths HSC Exam Paper as well.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
This question is from the New Century Maths Year 12 textbook by : Klaas Bootsma, Sarah Hamper, Margaret Willard and Robert Yen. I am not sure how to answer Q1, so I thought I would bring it to an open forum for discussion.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
This question is from the New Century Maths Year 12 textbook by : Klaas Bootsma, Sarah Hamper, Margaret Willard and Robert Yen. I am not sure how to answer Q1, so I thought I would bring it to an open forum for discussion.

wtf ahahahha
this is why general gets a bad rap lol

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
OK I have decided to have an attempt at this question:

1. Water reduction - they are aiming to reduce water reduction by installing a water tank to the toilet and garden irrigation system

2. Thermal comfort- refers to keeping the house cool in summer and warm in winter. By having insulation in the ceiling, walls and floors this target can be achieved.

3. Energy- reduction can be reduced by using a 6 star reverse cycle air-conditioning system . This in turn produces a more efficient and is cost-saving for the consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)