Is it possible to score a band 6 with Standard Mathematics? (1 Viewer)

wonderlustfairydust

HSC
Hey guys! I actually did the 5.3 Advanced Math course in years 9/10 and I went for Standard Maths in Stage 6 cause I despise maths and this felt like it would feel light and easy, which it has. But how can I get a band 6 in year 12? I graduate in 2019 :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It is possible to get a band 6 in standard mathematics.

Study, do practice questions, and past papers.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I mean I'm sure thats the generic way. But since we have the new syllabus in standard, we haven't got any past papers.
The only thing that is really new in the syllabus looks to be the "Network" section of the course so lots of past papers will have questions that are relevant.

https://syllabus.nesa.nsw.edu.au/as...e-questions-new-hsc-maths-std-2-exam-2019.pdf
https://syllabus.nesa.nsw.edu.au/as...e-questions-new-hsc-maths-std-1-exam-2019.pdf

I suggest keeping an eye out for websites that might map which pastpapers questions relate/relevant to the new syllabus.
http://www.pasthsc.com.au/HSC_Maths_General.html This website usually does but doesn't appear to have updated since 2016.

Can also purchase multiple textbooks for practice (some provide sample example practice exams)

doggossigh

HSC
We are part of the new syllabus but maths has been delayed, so all the past papers are still fine for maths!

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
past paper questions for vast majority of the course are still relevant and valuable.

even without past paper questions, if you can do all your textbook questions, and are constantly revising them, you're heading towards a band 6.

SirLaptop

HSC
I am currently doing HSC General 2 at the moment, dropped from 2 unit at the end of year 11 which I was failing anyway, before then I was in 5.3 mathematics course, etc etc. Have a sibling who got band 6 in it last year.

The new syllabus doesn't appear to have too much added onto it, so much of the content in the syllabus I have will be similar to yours. When the time comes to do trial papers cherry-pick your questions accordingly (it won't be as easy as 2u), I suggest to ask your teacher now, what year 12 topics for your syllabus overlap with the old ones. Be proactive now, and you can maximise the large amount of trial, mid year and HSC papers available on the internet for your consumption.

Then go ahead and do the papers. Try and do as many as you can, 7 for me is my target before trials. Ignore the textbook questions unless they are for homework - I don't know if your school uses New Century but those questions in the book are very simplistic in comparison to the ones you get in past papers (after dropping from 2u to general the papers I did was a serious wake-up call for me). Give them a check, if you got it wrong, retry the question, if you got it wrong again, look at the solution, and so on and so on.

For now, Preliminary shouldn't involve worrying about your HSC. It's well over a year away at this point. Unless you are going for early entry (which none of the higher tier unis even have), Preliminary is a year of learning, taking HSC-style tests, and most importantly, learning from your mistakes and improving on them. Good luck man, sorry for long post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)