Someone tell me what UAI is!!! (1 Viewer)

spezzina

HSC
Hi guys Im in year 12 now n I know absolutely nothin about the UAI thing.
Isnt it a percentage? is it like an average of your HSC marks?
Are ur HSC assessments included here?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im freakin out

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
UAI is your percentile rank based on your HSC results, but this percentile is the exact percentile you would have gotten had everyone from your year 10 cohort (state-wide) gone through and received a UAI. As it stands, generally those who do better in year 10 are those that continue through, so coming near to the bottom of the year 12 group puts ou at a little above that when compared with the entire year 10 cohort. This is why UAIs are generally higher than the old TER, which was simply just a year 12 percentile.

The "guessing" of marks from the year 10 cohort that -didn't- go through is based on the entire cohort's performance in the School Certificate, as well as the year 12 cohort's performance in the Higher School Certificate. A kind of "scaling" is developed from this (this is not the same as the scaling you will no doubt hear about in your subjects). Note that your individual school certificate mark bears no relevance to your UAI, only the entire cohort's performance matters.

So for a (very) rough example, say you received a UAI contribution of 50points (very low), this may put you at say the 5th percentile of your year 12 cohort. But, this same result -may- have put you around the 15th percentile of your year 10 cohort (in the School Certificate), so you will receive a UAI of 15.

I also realise this post probably makes no sense. I got all this information from a PDF on UAC's website, that explains it in is full technical detail. Don't remember exactly where, though.

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
spezzina said:
The marks in each subject used to calculate your UAI are known as your HSC Mark. This is the average of your school assessment mark and your HSC exam mark. So yes, your assessments are included in your UAI.

However, the assessment marks are massaged a bit to allow comparisons between the assessment systems at different schools. This massaging means that your exact marks in assessment do not matter. What matters is your rank within your school in each subject - the higher your rank, the better.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Iruka said:
UAI is short for University Admission Index. As the previous poster said, it is a rank. You can think of it as a number that tells you where you stand in the queue to get into university. If you're UAI is 100, you are right at the start of the queue.

It is derived from your HSC marks, but not in a direct, simple way: it certainly is not the average of your HSC marks. The UAI is calculated based on how well you do in each of your subjects, and also on how well all the other people in those subjects do in all their other courses. They do this so that they can make valid comparisons between different courses - so if you do well in a course where there is little competition, it may not contribute as much to the UAI as a (possibly lower) mark gained in a tougher course with stronger competion.

If you want to know more about the UAI, you should probably have a look at the UAC website for an explanation.

http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.html
Whilst more or less absolutely correct, I'd like to inform you that some universities/colleges do not heed this UAI, but rather cold, hard cash.:)
UAI's are important, and so are extra-curricular achievements, by the way.:)

Affinity

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
Whilst more or less absolutely correct, I'd like to inform you that some universities/colleges do not heed this UAI, but rather cold, hard cash.:)
UAI's are important, and so are extra-curricular achievements, by the way.:)
Which ones to be specific and what courses?

Affinity

HSC
Triangulum said:
The marks in each subject used to calculate your UAI are known as your HSC Mark. This is the average of your school assessment mark and your HSC exam mark. So yes, your assessments are included in your UAI.

However, the assessment marks are massaged a bit to allow comparisons between the assessment systems at different schools. This massaging means that your exact marks in assessment do not matter. What matters is your rank within your school in each subject - the higher your rank, the better.
The actual marks matter too..

suppose there's a class of 3 and you are 2nd,
Then there's a big difference between:

90,85 and 40
AND
90, 45 and 40

When people say internal assessment marks do not matter, they mean for example a class with:
90 85 40
is same as a class with
80 75 and 30
which is also same as a class with
40 37 and 10
as their internal assessment marks.

Last edited:

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
It's more along the lines of: the relative difference between marks matters (these differences are kept consistent in the moderation process.). If you're first or last, though, actual marks don't matter.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Lol.

An actual student who doesn't know what UAI is, funny.

Well mate, know you know. Work hard!

spezzina

HSC
Thanx for all these posts
ill just clarify one thing: ive been living in australia only for a few months so im just not familiar with the australian skool system...
i just somehow managed to get into year 11 at the end of term 3!!!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
spezzina said:
Thanx for all these posts
ill just clarify one thing: ive been living in australia only for a few months so im just not familiar with the australian skool system...
i just somehow managed to get into year 11 at the end of term 3!!!
oh that's ok then. Iruka is correct, it's just a rank. don't stress about it, just try and do well for your assessments and exams and you'll be ok.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
spezzina said:
I lol'ed

The UAI is more a lottery than anything else - you invest your heart, time, soul, ambition & aspirations into the pursuit of a number that comes in the mail. The methods 'they' use to assign you that number are exceptionally unpredictable and your chances of getting the number you seek are just as fickle.

Best not to think about it.

Ever.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Seriously guys. The OP began this thread a year and a half ago.

I dont even get how people find these threads.

istoria90

HSC
spezzina said:
hahahaha dude its kool
i usta freak out 2
im in yr 12!!
i think its da rank of all da marks from ur all ur exams n class things
but it all depends on the year cuz its like a overall thing
n plus its da gateway mark if u wana go 2 uni
<3 xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)