Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 73
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

  1. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by cem View Post
    External marks are the marks you get for the HSC exam - it is externally set and counts for 50% of the final mark.

    Internal marks are the marks that are sent to the BOS as a result of the assessment tasks done at school as these are internally set and marked (even if your school purchases Trial exams from CSSA or Independent they are still seen as internal as they are internally marked by your school not by the BOS markers).
    thanks ! so external is ONLY the hsc? Not assignments or anything?

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    478
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by itszen View Post
    thanks ! so external is ONLY the hsc? Not assignments or anything?
    only the hsc

  3. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    478
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by dp624 View Post
    Not the school ranks, but the cohort. Unless you're ranked 1st in every subject you're going to care about your school
    see im coming first in 3 of my subjects (bio, chem, adv eng) but i was just beaten in my other 3 subjects (by 2, 4 and 6 marks in legal, pe and 2u maths).

    Now all my shit classmates r gonna drag me down!

    Because im cuming second, and because im not far behind, will i be dragged down too much? (classmates reallllly shit)

    Btw Cem, what subject do u teach? (u dont have to tell me if u dont wanna)

  4. #29
    Junior Member Sammy2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    218
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Wait, so what is the cohort? Is it your fellow schoolmates in your year in your school, or is it the total amount of students in your year across the state/country?

    Does this mean, with my school ranked in the 400's, that if I go well in both external and internal exams, that my ATAR will be boosted because of the patheticness of my school? Or will it be damaged from the rest of the idiots in my year?

    If anything, I think people who manage to go well in a really bad school should be rewarded, not penalised.

  5. #30
    Cult of Personality Shadowdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,215
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Cohort = your class.

    If you top the class in school with an assessment (school) mark of 52%, and then the person ranked 9th in your class gets 100 in the HSC exam, while you get 88 - you get the 100 because you are ranked 1st.

    So therefore, everything weighs on your rank, and the HSC exam results for your class.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

  6. #31
    cem
    cem is offline
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by sam5 View Post
    see im coming first in 3 of my subjects (bio, chem, adv eng) but i was just beaten in my other 3 subjects (by 2, 4 and 6 marks in legal, pe and 2u maths).

    Now all my shit classmates r gonna drag me down!

    Because im cuming second, and because im not far behind, will i be dragged down too much? (classmates reallllly shit)

    Btw Cem, what subject do u teach? (u dont have to tell me if u dont wanna)
    I teach Modern, Ancient and Extension History and have marked Modern for many years, as well as been on the judging panel for a couple of years when they first started that process.

  7. #32
    cem
    cem is offline
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    Cohort = your class.

    If you top the class in school with an assessment (school) mark of 52%, and then the person ranked 9th in your class gets 100 in the HSC exam, while you get 88 - you get the 100 because you are ranked 1st.

    So therefore, everything weighs on your rank, and the HSC exam results for your class.

    To make your example clearer - the student who came first would get 100 for their assessment mark but keep the 88 as their exam mark so the final HSC mark would be 94 - the average of those two marks.

  8. #33
    altitude rush sikhman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,984
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    Cohort = your class.

    If you top the class in school with an assessment (school) mark of 52%, and then the person ranked 9th in your class gets 100 in the HSC exam, while you get 88 - you get the 100 because you are ranked 1st.

    So therefore, everything weighs on your rank, and the HSC exam results for your class.
    Quote Originally Posted by cem View Post
    To make your example clearer - the student who came first would get 100 for their assessment mark but keep the 88 as their exam mark so the final HSC mark would be 94 - the average of those two marks.
    This did not happen with my HSC marks, so this does not happen in every situation.

  9. #34
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,189
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by sikhman View Post
    This did not happen with my HSC marks, so this does not happen in every situation.
    Were you ranked a clear first in your assessments?

    Or were you equal first?

  10. #35
    altitude rush sikhman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,984
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Clear first by a reasonable margin.

  11. #36
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,189
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    And in the exam, what was the top mark?

    What has been said is what occurs according to BOS.
    What was:
    Top Exam Mark at School
    Your moderated assessment mark

  12. #37
    Cult of Personality Shadowdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,215
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Top Mark is the one which is the basis for the distribution of HSC marks for your class, it is the highest mark achieved in the cohort.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

  13. #38
    ballin Phylo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Syd
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    my school is like 400
    2010 subjects:
    (2) ESL (English as a Sex Languange)
    (2) Blowjob Studies
    (2) Aids Testing
    (2) Mother Fucking (Studies)
    (2) Sex Ed
    (2) Mathematics
    ATAR aim: *

  14. #39
    Cadet lukasheights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Liverpool, Sydney
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    I've always wondered about this myself.

    My ranks are pretty good at my school, but overall, we come each year in the mid 300's for the state.

    My ranks for each course are:
    Music 1: 1/12
    General Maths: 2/55
    English Extension 1: 2/12
    English Advanced: 4/65
    Economics: 4/7
    English Extension 2: 7/9
    Ancient History: 3/30

    So, this should probably get me high 80s perhaps for my ATAR should I perform externally.

    But, is this necessarily the case?
    Because of my school, will I be getting low 80s or 70s instead? idk. Some people are convinced.

  15. #40
    Cult of Personality Shadowdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,215
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by lukasheights View Post
    I've always wondered about this myself.

    My ranks are pretty good at my school, but overall, we come each year in the mid 300's for the state.

    My ranks for each course are:
    Music 1: 1/12
    General Maths: 2/55
    English Extension 1: 2/12
    English Advanced: 4/65
    Economics: 4/7
    English Extension 2: 7/9
    Ancient History: 3/30

    So, this should probably get me high 80s perhaps for my ATAR should I perform externally.

    But, is this necessarily the case?
    Because of my school, will I be getting low 80s or 70s instead? idk. Some people are convinced.
    You're probably looking at mid to high 80s, possibly in the 90s.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

  16. #41
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    I haven't read thread and I have no time for in depth answer so here is the most basic example I can think of -

    Student 1 gets 100% in every single school exam and every HSC exam and is in some shitty outback country bogan school.

    Student 2 gets 100% in every single school exam and every HSC exam but is in James Ruse.

    Student 2 will be ranked higher. That is why the HSC is such a flawed fucking terribad system.

    EDIT: Oh, and I heard that if your HSC marks differ wildly (wildly as in massive difference) from your school rank, the BOS will ignore your school ranking and scale you to JUST your HSC marks in regards to your ATAR. This is just what I've heard though, not sure.
    Last edited by Kajed; 9 Aug 2011 at 1:47 PM.

  17. #42
    Cult of Personality Shadowdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,215
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kajed View Post
    I haven't read thread and I have no time for in depth answer so here is the most basic example I can think of -

    Student 1 gets 100% in every single school exam and every HSC exam and is in some shitty outback country bogan school.

    Student 2 gets 100% in every single school exam and every HSC exam but is in James Ruse.

    Student 2 will be ranked higher. That is why the HSC is such a flawed fucking terribad system.

    EDIT: Oh, and I heard that if your HSC marks differ wildly (wildly as in massive difference) from your school rank, the BOS will ignore your school ranking and scale you to JUST your HSC marks in regards to your ATAR. This is just what I've heard though, not sure.
    Well that is wrong, actually. Student 2 will be ranked higher if and only if Student 2's external HSC mark is higher than Student 1's (assuming that both students are ranked first in their class).

    And the other thing is wrong because BOS doesn't do scaling. They may moderate the mark to something else, but that is only in very special circumstances - for full info, see the BOS page on moderation.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

  18. #43
    Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks ajdlinux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Port Macquarie / Canberra
    Posts
    1,894
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kajed View Post
    I haven't read thread and I have no time for in depth answer so here is the most basic example I can think of -

    Student 1 gets 100% in every single school exam and every HSC exam and is in some shitty outback country bogan school.

    Student 2 gets 100% in every single school exam and every HSC exam but is in James Ruse.

    Student 2 will be ranked higher. That is why the HSC is such a flawed fucking terribad system.

    EDIT: Oh, and I heard that if your HSC marks differ wildly (wildly as in massive difference) from your school rank, the BOS will ignore your school ranking and scale you to JUST your HSC marks in regards to your ATAR. This is just what I've heard though, not sure.
    What Shadowdude said, this is completely wrong.
    ATAR & HSC Marks, ANU Moderator
    Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science II
    The Australian National University

    HSC 2004-2009 - ATAR 93.05


  19. #44
    et tu kaz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    HSC
    2009
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Vespucci Beach
    Posts
    7,007
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    I don't know where to put this but I found the rankings of every school and finally found the ranking of my school

    http://bettereducation.com.au/results/Hsc1Page.aspx
    cracker

  20. #45
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    The way I have gathered it in my head is this, Every student does their Internal Exams and end's up with a Rank. Now! The Marks you got to get this rank basically don't mean anything! WHY you may ask? Because you get whatever raw mark you got in the HSC as your HSC Mark
    so 50%= your raw HSC Mark
    THEN!
    the other 50% is what your RANK, whether it was you or someone else, In the HSC got.
    Eg. you get Rank1 in the exam but you were orignally rank 5, whatever Rank 5 got, is now your other 50%

    So it isn't really 50% Internal 50% External
    it's actually
    50% Rank
    50% HSC Raw Mark.

    NOTE: It isn't necessarily your exact Ranks number you will get, BUT the school is allocated a number of points achieved by all students. They then allocate the points accordingly to each Rank, thus why 1st gets the mark of rank one, then depending on the difference between one and two, the same percentile of difference is the same for the amount of marks given to rank 2.

    EG. Rank one beat rank 2 by 1.1%, then Rank two will most likely get a mark 1.1% Lower.
    That is what is meant by Moderation.

    It often ends up that your mark will go up due to the massive achievment from Internal to External Exams, however it is also possible that your marks could stay the same depending on how low your rank is.


    And that, To me at least, Is how an ATAR works.

  21. #46
    Cult of Personality Shadowdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,215
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Err... that's how the HSC marks work more or less, not ATAR.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

  22. #47
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    Err... that's how the HSC marks work more or less, not ATAR.
    haha yeah HSC.

  23. #48
    Member theycallmebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by braintic View Post
    A-nonentity has it completely wrong. Your assessment marks are what count, not the assessment rank. The reason the rank is stressed so much is that it is NOT the ABSOLUTE mark that is important, but your assessment mark RELATIVE to others in your schools. Say you come 10th in a subject. Say that 9th place beat you by 2 marks, but you beat 11th place by 20 marks. That sort of spread is retained after moderation of the marks - although the numbers may be 1 and 10 instead of 2 and 20, for example. The rank is important only in that assessment ranks do not change after moderation.
    But ranks are more important in that they determine your final mark

  24. #49
    Member theycallmebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    5
    But it can change completely... Like if you say get first at a shit school while only getting say 80%, and then get 98 in the exams also coming first it will transfer to your assessment mark

  25. #50
    Member theycallmebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    dude everyone knows that if you get first in assessments you'll automatically get the top exam mark transferred to your assessment mark. like a little bonus for coming first.

    i don't mean to sound like a know not all but thats what EVERYONE says including teachers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •