Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    8

    How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    I was wondering does your school ranking really influence what you are going to get in the HSC? and if it does, to what extent? I know that teachers say it doesnt matter but does it really?

    For example, at my friends school no one got in the 90s for their internal school marks for english but for the hsc everyone got bands 5 and 6.

    This question is primarily for eng advanced but applicable to everything:
    My question is, if a student (lets say student A) went to a school that was ranked lets say 60ish got an english mark of around 70 and a student (lets say student b) went to a school that was ranked 350ish got an english mark of around 90, how would they compare with eachother in the end?

    Does student A get scaled up and the student B get scaled down?
    hmmm it sucks because our teachers are not really clear about that.

    Im not really sure

  2. #2
    cem
    cem is offline
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by michelle.lee
    I was wondering does your school ranking really influence what you are going to get in the HSC? and if it does, to what extent? I know that teachers say it doesnt matter but does it really?

    For example, at my friends school no one got in the 90s for their internal school marks for english but for the hsc everyone got bands 5 and 6.

    This question is primarily for eng advanced but applicable to everything:
    My question is, if a student (lets say student A) went to a school that was ranked lets say 60ish got an english mark of around 70 and a student (lets say student b) went to a school that was ranked 350ish got an english mark of around 90, how would they compare with eachother in the end?

    Does student A get scaled up and the student B get scaled down?
    hmmm it sucks because our teachers are not really clear about that.

    Im not really sure

    Your teachers are correct in saying that the ranking of the school doesn't matter as the ranking of schools is done every year AFTER the HSC.

    Any school ranking you have seen is based the results achieved by that year's HSC cohort and your cohort will see your school ranking done again based on your cohort's results.


    Some schools will make big moves either up or down while others e.g. James Ruse won't make major moves at all.

    That is why your teachers say not to worry about the rank of the school.

    In addition your internal marks will all be moderated (not scaled) against the exam results after the HSC to make things even across the state.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    oh
    so the school internal marks that we get at the end of the year,
    14th of november (in hard copy i think) are the moderated marks?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    323
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    you don't get your internal marks until you get your hsc marks because they have to be moderated
    on november 12 you do, however, receive your rankings in your school cohort which is what determines (when moderated against the hsc) how high or low your school mark will be

    the school's ranking doesn't matter
    but if everyone in your grade puts in effort in the hsc this benefits everyone in the grade
    or as my school likes to constantly remind us "the better we do, the better we all do"

  5. #5
    cem
    cem is offline
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by michelle.lee
    oh
    so the school internal marks that we get at the end of the year,
    14th of november (in hard copy i think) are the moderated marks?
    You can't get the moderated marks that early for the simple fact that they won't have been determined.

    Moderated marks aren't done until after the exams are marked and that won't be finished until very late November or even early December, depending on when the last exams are marked.

    After that the standards setting teams (the teams that determine the aligning marks) report to the BOS, usually at the end of Week 1 December. The BOS then considers these recommendations and sets the cutoffs based on the recommendations and all that data is then put in the computer and the aligning marks are determined across the state for all subjects and then the moderation of assessment marks is done.

    That is why the moderated marks won't be available until mid-December along with your aligned exam mark and the final HSC mark. You get those three marks when you get your HSC marks.

  6. #6
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,469
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    The way i see it is this. It dosent matter about the school you go to. However what will be a benefit/handicap is the amount of effort put in for class assessment in ratio to studying fervently for the actualy external exam. If say your class mates dont put in any effort for class assessments and recieve a low mark, however they do brilliantly in the external exam. The higher ranking persons will be pushed up for their school mark.
    Subjects 2009:
    English Advanced
    Mathematics Extension 1
    Mathematics Extension 2
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics

    Swans Fan Forever.

    I can do everythign through Him

    who gives me strength

    Philippians 4:13

  7. #7
    Executive Member lionking1191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    it doesn't

  8. #8
    Self-delusive Undermyskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    It does ... psychologically.
    domonique likes this.
    BPharmacy @ Usyd
    Class' 2013

    When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse.
    Out of the corner of my eyes
    I turned to see but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown, the dream is gone...
    (Confortably numb - Pink Floyd)

  9. #9
    Member syriangabsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    297
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Hmm so, why is it that all the uai guru's ask for the school ranking when attempting to estimate a uai?
    B. CivEng @ UNSW. 1st yr

  10. #10
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,414
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by syriangabsta
    Hmm so, why is it that all the uai guru's ask for the school ranking when attempting to estimate a uai?

    To know the quality of your cohort so to put your provided ranks into context.
    Obey Me

  11. #11
    Member syriangabsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    297
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    So, its possible that the estimate isn't very accurate at all, as one year (say last year), could have had a very poor cohort which results in a poor rank. But then this year, could have a strong cohort, which would increase the estimate?
    B. CivEng @ UNSW. 1st yr

  12. #12
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,414
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by syriangabsta
    So, its possible that the estimate isn't very accurate at all, as one year (say last year), could have had a very poor cohort which results in a poor rank. But then this year, could have a strong cohort, which would increase the estimate?
    If the rank of your school (quality of your cohort) fluctuates massively, then its possible for the estimate to be inaccurate. However for lower ranked schools, the rank can have massive movements (100s) but not much real improvement in quality of cohort.
    Obey Me

  13. #13
    Member syriangabsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    297
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    I see. Erm, were you avoiding my last thread..for a certian reason -_-.?
    B. CivEng @ UNSW. 1st yr

  14. #14
    Cadet
    Join Date
    May 2008
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    hey so i just wanted to noe if u got like 50 in all ur internals and 100 in all ur externals do u get a 100 uai
    Year Eleven Preliminary Subjects 2009

    Extension One Maths
    English Standard
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Economics
    Study Of Religion

    Atar Aim for 2010: 95+ UNSW Bachelor Of Civil Engineering and architecture

  15. #15
    Member samwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    401
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    how come pple say that lets say ua school rank is 1 u will get the highest mark in the subject. does that mean that pples efforts in the hsc dont matter as irregardless of how well a person who's coming 6 7 9 ... gets the cant necessarily get the really high marks confusing
    " Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction" Albert Einstein

  16. #16
    Member Miss Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by cem
    Your teachers are correct in saying that the ranking of the school doesn't matter as the ranking of schools is done every year AFTER the HSC.

    Any school ranking you have seen is based the results achieved by that year's HSC cohort and your cohort will see your school ranking done again based on your cohort's results.


    Some schools will make big moves either up or down while others e.g. James Ruse won't make major moves at all.

    That is why your teachers say not to worry about the rank of the school.

    In addition your internal marks will all be moderated (not scaled) against the exam results after the HSC to make things even across the state.
    How do you know all this??

  17. #17
    cem
    cem is offline
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Sunshine
    How do you know all this??

    Years of experience as a teacher and HSC Marker and Judge (on the panel that does the aligning of the raw HSC marks to the final marks you receive).

    I also have been to a number of inservice courses on these matters and my school often has the relevant BOSLO come out and answer our questions and these are ones that we have asked and had explained.

  18. #18
    Cadet
    Join Date
    May 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    this year my school isnt going well at all,, most people wont do well,,, im ranked first in my assesment marks with 90+ marks. now assuming i rank first in my hsc external exam with low to mid 90s in all my subjects and also assuming the worst case scenario where all my classmates get below 50 for my subjects (say way below the state average), do you think taht any of my classmates will affect my uai,....bcoz it seams like they will,,,wotn they drag me down even a little bit..

  19. #19
    Rambling Spirit
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
    Posts
    6,761
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by adosh
    this year my school isnt going well at all,, most people wont do well,,, im ranked first in my assesment marks with 90+ marks. now assuming i rank first in my hsc external exam with low to mid 90s in all my subjects and also assuming the worst case scenario where all my classmates get below 50 for my subjects (say way below the state average), do you think taht any of my classmates will affect my uai,....bcoz it seams like they will,,,wotn they drag me down even a little bit..
    If you are ranked first, and do perform well in the external HSC exams, then I'm pretty sure that you would have a certain level of immunity from the rest of the students in the subjects that perform badly. Their performance should not affect your UAI, as long as you are ranked first internally and perform in the external exams.
    Is quite inactive.

  20. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    N.S.W
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    it does affect ur HSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i did really shiet at skool for ecos....ranked 27/32........my assesment marks was 76. then i worked hard and got 92 in the actual HSC exam. my Ecos mark is now (76+92)/2 = 84.........see tat? study hard
    2008 HSC: English Adv, Maths 2&3, Economics, Physics, Chinese Bkground
    UAI AIM: 90+:angry:

    First Choice- Bcommerce UNSW
    Second Choice-Bengineering UNSW

    Trinitarian :uhhuh:

  21. #21
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,189
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    So you bludged for the assessment and then worked hard at the end. The ranking of the school isn't going to hlp with tha either

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    I really hope the ranks of the school doesn't affect your hsc mark because that will be kinda unfair..

  23. #23
    Exalted Member dp624's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,335
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Not the school ranks, but the cohort. Unless you're ranked 1st in every subject you're going to care about your school
    HSC'08
    -English Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, Physics, Chemistry
    UNSW MBBS'14
    100 UAI/state ranking chem and Phys notes for sale

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    a question whats external and internal marks?

  25. #25
    cem
    cem is offline
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark?

    Quote Originally Posted by itszen View Post
    a question whats external and internal marks?
    External marks are the marks you get for the HSC exam - it is externally set and counts for 50% of the final mark.

    Internal marks are the marks that are sent to the BOS as a result of the assessment tasks done at school as these are internally set and marked (even if your school purchases Trial exams from CSSA or Independent they are still seen as internal as they are internally marked by your school not by the BOS markers).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •