Can you get an ATAR 90+ with CAFs? (1 Viewer)

happycupcake

HSC
**If you cbb to read all this, then plz just skip to the bold part, BUT I would really appreciate it if you could read everything**

So, this seems impossible right now, but ultimately I want an ATAR of 96 to get into the course I want to do. I know it won't be the end of the world if I don't achieve it, since there's so many other options and pathways to uni. But anyway, to my question...

I'm currently doing 13 units, and the lowest scaling subject I'm doing is CAFs (Community and Family Studies). I was ranked 1st in the prelim year, but half the class dropped the subject, and now, I enjoy the subject more but I have this feeling that I'm not going to do that well in the subject.

I got 51% on the prelim year trials, which is obviously very crappy. But I actually thought the exam was easy. My problem is that I can't answer according to the syllabus and hence I get low marks.
According to assessments, etc , I do alright, maybe 80%, but honestly, the whole class isn't great and that's why I was ranked #1. And now there's only like 10 people in the class. I don't know if I can maintain my rank.

Ok, so summed up, is it worth keeping CAFs? I thoroughly enjoy the subject and I was ranked #1 in my prelim year but the minuses are - low scaling, there's way too much info to remember (but then again, every subject's like this anyway), I may not maintain my rank and I can't answer according to what the syllabus says.

The thing is, I also want to drop to 1 unit Studies of Religion, my rank was 9th out of 18 students. But I didn't study at all. I just don't like the subject.
Is it too risky to drop down to 10 units (if I drop both CAFs and 2u Religion)? Oh and is 1 and 2 unit religion the same scaling? Oh and is it better to be ranked 9th/18 students or 25/50 students? Or is it exactly the same? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Sorry for the length, I have trouble summarising :p

And THANKS! :)

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Forget about scaling. Most subjects scale down apart from a few such as the extensions and languages. I think you are misinformed with what scaling actually is.
In my opinion the 2 unit religion course was dry and boring in the prelim, but i enjoyed the HSC course. If you enjoy CAFS and like it, then i suggest keeping it as you well do well in it if you enjoy it.
10 units isn't risky. Don't listen to the bullshit about needing back up units. I know plenty of peope including myself who have done well with 10 units.

EDIT: Yes it is possible to get 90+ with Cafs.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh scaling makes a rather small, almost negligible difference, take whatever subjects you want. If only I had known this....

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Yeh scaling makes a rather small, almost negligible difference, take whatever subjects you want. If only I had known this....
Ha yeah. Agreed.
So many myths and stories that go around about scaling, when really the difference is minimum, like you said phoenix. Better of doing well in subjects you enjoy, such as Cafs, then doing shit in physics/chem

chuha

HSC
N/A
i know several people that have achieved a 90+ with cafs,
so it is verily possible. and i think you will suceed in doing a subject you like
over a subject you don't. you may have fluked getting an ok rank in religion
in prelim, but you never know what may happen in hsc.
so overall i think you should continue with cafs in the hsc =)

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Yeahh don't worry about prelim ranks. They mean nothing.
One of my friends finished 190/230 in a subject for prelim (mainly coz its prelim and it dosnt mean anything)
Final HSC rank was 13/214

HSC
forget about scaling. Most subjects scale down apart from a few such as the extensions and languages. I think you are misinformed with what scaling actually is.
In my opinion the 2 unit religion course was dry and boring in the prelim, but i enjoyed the hsc course. If you enjoy cafs and like it, then i suggest keeping it as you well do well in it if you enjoy it.
10 units isn't risky. Don't listen to the bullshit about needing back up units. I know plenty of peope including myself who have done well with 10 units.

Edit: Yes it is possible to get 90+ with cafs.
yeh scaling makes a rather small, almost negligible difference, take whatever subjects you want. If only i had known this....
+1

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
High band 5 or band 6 would help you, but anything other than that would fuck you over.

happycupcake

HSC
Forget about scaling. Most subjects scale down apart from a few such as the extensions and languages. I think you are misinformed with what scaling actually is.
In my opinion the 2 unit religion course was dry and boring in the prelim, but i enjoyed the HSC course. If you enjoy CAFS and like it, then i suggest keeping it as you well do well in it if you enjoy it.

EDIT: Yes it is possible to get 90+ with Cafs.
Well, do you think I should drop to 1 unit Religion? (in my school, it's compulsory to do SOR). I'm worried cause I don't know if I'll get a better rank in SORI. There's about 55 students in SORI, and 17 in SORII. Oh and is Religion & Non Religion and Religion and Peace interesting? :) Thanks!

happycupcake

HSC
i know several people that have achieved a 90+ with cafs,
so it is verily possible. and i think you will suceed in doing a subject you like
over a subject you don't. you may have fluked getting an ok rank in religion
in prelim, but you never know what may happen in hsc.
so overall i think you should continue with cafs in the hsc =)
Hmm thanks... but what about Religion?
Decisions, decisions...

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Well, do you think I should drop to 1 unit Religion? (in my school, it's compulsory to do SOR). I'm worried cause I don't know if I'll get a better rank in SORI. There's about 55 students in SORI, and 17 in SORII. Oh and is Religion & Non Religion and Religion and Peace interesting? :) Thanks!
Personally i found religion and non religion / peace the most interesting. Its unlike anything youve learnt before. If i was you, i would keep all my units for now, then after half yearlys have another think and you might want to consider dropping something then. I wont hurt having 13 units but if you drop something you may regret it later.

sophie2009

HSC
Hi-

I don't have answers to all of your questions, but I will tell you that it is possible to get an ATAR of 90+ with CAFS. I know somebody who got a UAI in the 90's a few years ago that did CAFS. You also say that you were ranked #1 in your prelim year- DO NOT DROP lol! Although scaling isn't a huge deal, being ranked 1st in a subject, no matter how low it scales, will work in your favour. I have the same problem as you with SOR. I do 2 unit and was thinking about moving down to 1 unit. People might not agree, but I chose to stick with it because I like the security of 12 units. Good luck!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's possible to get an ATAR of 90+ with CAFS, but as Kaz said you need to get at least a band 5.

SOR 1 and SOR 2 are scaled differently as they are counted as 2 separate courses. Keep in mind that scaling varies from year to year and if you do well, scaling will have a minimal effect.

It's better to be ranked 9/18 students than 25/50 students and the only stupid question is the one not asked ;)

Having 10 units is not risky if you use the extra time you have wisely. Think about it logically - if you have more time to spend on your subjects, you'll know the content better and have more practise so you'd be less likely to screw up.

You did a good job summarising :D

happycupcake

HSC
Personally i found religion and non religion / peace the most interesting. Its unlike anything youve learnt before. If i was you, i would keep all my units for now, then after half yearlys have another think and you might want to consider dropping something then. I wont hurt having 13 units but if you drop something you may regret it later.
That's a good idea. I must agree with you on that, we have just started Religion & Non Religion and it's quite interesting. I'm really not into the ancient stuff though, like Religions of Ancient Origin which we did in the prelim year, and Religion in Australia 1945 to the present was even quite boring to me. Is Religion & Peace anything similar to those? Thanks so much :)

happycupcake

HSC
Hi-

I don't have answers to all of your questions, but I will tell you that it is possible to get an ATAR of 90+ with CAFS. I know somebody who got a UAI in the 90's a few years ago that did CAFS. You also say that you were ranked #1 in your prelim year- DO NOT DROP lol! Although scaling isn't a huge deal, being ranked 1st in a subject, no matter how low it scales, will work in your favour. I have the same problem as you with SOR. I do 2 unit and was thinking about moving down to 1 unit. People might not agree, but I chose to stick with it because I like the security of 12 units. Good luck!
Thanks so much for your advice!! :D

happycupcake

HSC
Thanks so much annabackwards, all your info is greatly appreciated :D

My careers guidance counsellor DID tell me that if I did 10 units, it would be a stupid thing to do though :p

HSC
you sure can :D
i got an atar of 93.05 and i did cafs however i got 96 in cafs :D
my friend also got an atar of 91.40 and she did cafs and got 93 in it so yeah....

its 100% possible :D

swethav

HSC
That's a good idea. I must agree with you on that, we have just started Religion & Non Religion and it's quite interesting. I'm really not into the ancient stuff though, like Religions of Ancient Origin which we did in the prelim year, and Religion in Australia 1945 to the present was even quite boring to me. Is Religion & Peace anything similar to those? Thanks so much :)
Hi! I know this was ages ago, but I just had one question :confused2: Pretty much, this year i did Eng Adv, Gen Maths, Legal, CAFS and Textiles, so like 3 of the subjects you did! How did you go in it? Im just sooo nervous bc results come out tmr :speechless:

Kolmias

HSC
Hi! I know this was ages ago, but I just had one question :confused2: Pretty much, this year i did Eng Adv, Gen Maths, Legal, CAFS and Textiles, so like 3 of the subjects you did! How did you go in it? Im just sooo nervous bc results come out tmr :speechless:
I seriously doubt OP will return after 5 years without logging into BoS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)