Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: All you want to know about the Educational Access Scheme (EAS).

momentica-one.deviantart.
    HSC

Re: All you want to know about the Educational Access Scheme (EAS).

if i want to provide support for a divorce, do you think CHILD SUPPORT statements are good?
    2007 BMedSc Usyd
    2008 BArch UNSW
    m-one|architecturalBLOG.
    m-one|deviantART.

HSC

OMG the EAS scheme is so cool ... except when you study harder for the course you want ...

angmor
    Your local neo nazi.

Neo-Nazi

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by f3nr15
    OMG the EAS scheme is so cool ... except when you study harder for the course you want ...

Neo-Nazi
    answer my question or ill burn all your babies in fat.
    2007 BMedSc Usyd
    2008 BArch UNSW
    m-one|architecturalBLOG.
    m-one|deviantART.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by angmor
    if i want to provide support for a divorce, do you think CHILD SUPPORT statements are good?
    If you think it helps to support your case, then add them in.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by angmor
    answer my question or ill burn all your babies in fat.
    Make me, what are you going to do ?

Slaughter my entire race under the name of breaking down barriers again in using humans as test subjects in the name of Science ?

Cadet
    HSC

do you knwo happens since i am applying for the elite athlete scheme AND the educational access scheme

i have already been informed that i am successful for the access scheme, but what happens if i find out i am also successful for the elite athlete scheme, what then!!!!

HSC

Closing Date On Friday Guys.
    2007 BMedSc Usyd
    2008 BArch UNSW
    m-one|architecturalBLOG.
    m-one|deviantART.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jackal8
    do you knwo happens since i am applying for the elite athlete scheme AND the educational access scheme

i have already been informed that i am successful for the access scheme, but what happens if i find out i am also successful for the elite athlete scheme, what then!!!!

Thats impossible, u cannot be told by UAC that ur EAS application is successful.

Cadet
    HSC

"The following applies only to applicants with S01A or S01B listed above.

You may not have included S01A or S01B in your application; however, as advised on page 19 of the EAS booklet. UAC has automatically assessed you as eligible for this category of disadvantage, in conjunction with other types of disadvantages you have claimed"

thats what the letter said, i realise now it doesnt necessarily mean i am successful..

oops ^_^

but, can you tell me then how we do find out if we are successful?
    Last edited by jackal8; 2 Oct 2006 at 12:51 AM.

HSC

you cant be told. you arent told whether ur unsuccessful either. you just have to wait and see whether you get into ur courses or not with it when the time comes

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by gracie007
    you cant be told. you arent told whether ur unsuccessful either. you just have to wait and see whether you get into ur courses or not with it when the time comes
    Macqaurie university. USYD and UTS sends you a letter if your eligible. It tells you on table 3 in the handbook about each uni.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

hey so whens the date u find out that you were succesful for the eas scheme from variuos unis?

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by emily2005
    hey so whens the date u find out that you were succesful for the eas scheme from variuos unis?
    Late december

HSC
    N/A

It's applied for mature students?

HSC

I had to apply late because my grandmother only passed away over the holidays, after the closing date.

I know they make no promises that late application will be processed, but does anyone know what my chances are (not of being accepted but just getting processed)

I applied just after english paper 2 I think

HSC

does anyone know if the uni's assess each application differently or do they just put them in two piles; ie the "successfuls" and the "failures".

im thinking its the latter.

and if so, while it provides some help, its fucking shit. especially with the unjust nature of some students to apply because they changed house a couple of times. try missing 12 weeks and getting back to school one week before trials. it's a bit unjust that someone who doesnt really suffer on a comparative scale to be given the equal subsidisation as someone who suffers more. i wish people would stop complaining about the hsc. its really not that hard. i managed. but still, aside from my bitterness, what do the unis do?

splashing in puddles Sprinkles~'s Avatar
    HSC

That's what I want to know, I have no idea. It just seems that it would be massively unfair if that is the way they do it, without considering individual cases and the amount of disadvantage. I've been chronically ill for the past 3 years, missed massive amounts of school and have only been able to attend about 3 days a week. I was so sick over the trials and hsc exams I screwed my marks up completely... so I know where you're coming from, it is so unjust that there are people in positions like ours who have to compete for places in courses against people who might have moved house or their parents have low incomes etc. They deserve consideration as well, but it wouldnt have had such a massive impact.

Rant over

I was told that sometimes you are able to apply directly to the uni, but I'm not sure how true that is. My mum rang the uni I'm hoping to get into and I have an appointment to speak to somebody there about ways I might be able to get in. I don't really think it will help, but I guess anythings worth trying. I wont be getting the marks I need even with the EAS, so it sucks.

Good luck, I hope you get into the course you want

HSC

Question Re: All you want to know about the Educational Access Scheme (EAS).

hey guys, can someone plzz answer my question sorry im abit lost.

anyways i applied for the eas scheme and i have a range of disadvantages, my question is that when u get ur uai do they put the extra points u get in ur uai or tht is later when u get accepted to the course???

confused lol?/
    :uhhuh:~shamiii~:uhhuh:

B. SCIENCE @ UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, SYDNEY (UTS)!!!!!

Rambling Spirit
    HSC
    Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...

They reduce the UAI cutoff for the course you want to get into, they don't add points onto your UAI.
    Is quite inactive.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Bookie
    does anyone know if the uni's assess each application differently or do they just put them in two piles; ie the "successfuls" and the "failures".
    Basically UAC makes an assessment of the authenticity, eligibility and severity of your application and each university decides what they make of it. For example USYD can decide they will approve your flexible entry scheme and UWS can decide they won't, the outcome of one not affecting the other.

HSC

i understand that much. but further on, what happens?

[and i know the info is inaccessible, so i dont expect an answer]

because its obvious that they will accept some cases which are more disadvantaged than others. however, out of those which do get accepted, are they given the same advantage?

Rambling Spirit
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSearcher
    They reduce the UAI cutoff for the course you want to get into, they don't add points onto your UAI.
    They don't reduce the UAI cutoff. They have a certain percentage of how much it offers for each course under EAS. For example, Arts at USYD, they may offer 5% of placements for EAS applicants.

Now if the cut-off was say 85.00, and all the EAS candidates who applied for Arts as their first pref, now say about all up there was 6% of candidates, so there's an additional 1% who would not make it into the EAS placements for Arts.

Obviously for them to determine which 1% is kicked off, is based on the the highest to lowest UAI in that batch of applicants, so you're still competing for EAS places for your course.

It should be made apparent that it's not like "EAS reduces the course you chose by 5 - 10 UAI marks", It is UPTO, and it is not any reduction, but it is leeway, and you get thrown in the EAS placements for that course.

There are also other factors, for example if they say they offer 5% Arts EAS placements, but if the course ends up having vacancies, they're fairly lenient at times.

HSC
    N/A

I'm asking this for a friend.

But say their first preference is usyd aeronautical engineering which is 99.4 i think? And their second preference is unsw science/law which is 99.2.

If they scored 99 and applied for eas, but then was rejected from aeronautical engineering, would they have the same chance of getting into unsw science/law as say someone else who scored 99 also with eas (and assuming their circumstances were exactly the same) but put unsw science/law as their top preference?

So succinctly, does the preference list make any difference to the final allocation of eas places? Especially if it's different unis too haha.

I wish i could get easex
    Bachelor of Arts (English) / Bachelor of Laws II UNSW

The intellect of man is forced to choose
    Perfection of the life, or of the work,
    And if it take the second must refuse
    A heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
    William Butler Yeats
    The Choice

splashing in puddles Sprinkles~'s Avatar
    HSC

No, I dont think that it makes a difference. I'm pretty sure that its the same as with everyone else; if you miss out on your first preference, you have an equal opportunity to recieve an offer for your second course as someone who had it as their first. They just treat it the same. It could depend on the uni though, since they have different schemes which applicants are assessed under, like USYD has the Broadway scheme.

Wish I was getting 99

HSC

Can you apply for EAS because of long term conditions if you have not done so in the past?

I feel like my study has been disrupted pretty badly for year 11 and year 12 because of a condition I was diagnosed with at the end of 2005. However it is documented that I've had this condition, dealing with it for atl east five years now. It just reached a more severe and noticeable point in 2005/2006 and the pain of discovery and treatment is what did, and continues to, interupt my study.

I've been informed that long term conditions don't count as cause for special consideration in HSC exams, so I'm a little perplexed by this. I feel there's a chance they will deny me based on the fact that the I've had the condition almost all through highschool and never applied for special consideration. It DID affect my study then also, but not nearly as much as after the diagnosis.

I continue to have relapses of this condition that disrupt everything too. I feel like recovery is harder than the actual condition but because I didn't ever apply fo anything in the past they may look at that and think I must not have been affected. And really, most people who probably consider that because Im beng treated now, things must be better.

Erk, not sure if this will make sense.

Any advice?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information