Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: All you want to know about the Educational Access Scheme (EAS).

splashing in puddles Sprinkles~'s Avatar
    HSC

Re: All you want to know about the Educational Access Scheme (EAS).

Just to clear it up, the EAS and special consideration are two different things!

The Educational Access Scheme is for long term disadvantage during year 11 and year 12, which means that yes you'd be eligable to apply since your condition has effect these years. You can't have applied for it before because you've never completed year 12 before .

If your claim is accepted then universities will take your disadvantage into consideration - for example some will allow you into your course if your UAI is up to 5 points below the cut off. The forms are only filled out later in the year though and the effects on your schooling need to be documented by your school, a medical professional and you also fill out a bit of it on how you think its affected you.

Where as special consideration - applying for illness/misadventure - during the HSC exams is only if something has affected your performance in a specific exam. You can't apply for illness/misadventure for a chronic condition unless you experience a flare up or worsening of symptoms during the exam period. If your application is successful you recieve your assessment mark as your HSC if your exam mark ends up being lower.

Also, I'm not sure how your conditions effect you during exams but have you considered applying for Special Provisions? If not you should look into it because there might be something that could help.
    [myspace] [deviantART]

B Psych at Newcastle

Ευθήμιος
    HSC

Say you redo the HSC the following year or another year, can you apply for EAS based on your disadvantage/s of the previous/first year?

NOTE: I never applied for EAS in '06 as it wouldnt have helped one bit.
    Last edited by timobr0; 17 Mar 2007 at 2:07 PM.

HSC

are you redoing the hsc?

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that!

I know that if you do the HSC over 2 years like I did you can, but then again I had the same disadvantage throughout and its not the same as repeating.

I think that yes, you probably can, since it counts for disadvantage in both years 11 and/or 12 anyway. Except when you have to list the schooling years effected you'd only list those specific years. So if you repeated in 2007, but only had problems in 2006 then you'd only put down 2006?

That's just a guess though!
    [myspace] [deviantART]

B Psych at Newcastle

HSC

hey guys, will being an international student and going through this EAS scheme make the cut off entry even lower??

^wooz*y^
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by mincedpork
    hey guys, will being an international student and going through this EAS scheme make the cut off entry even lower??
    International students have the same equiv entry marks, unless the uni has a special admissions scheme for accepting international students such as the ISAT test or their own, according to uac "International students are not elegible for the EAS scheme".
    Last edited by Wooz; 13 Aug 2007 at 3:03 AM.

HSC

when they say "speration and divorice" but your parents aren't "separated" they just fight a hell of a lot, how could you go about proving that? and would that even be considered by UAC?
    BA in communications (writing and cultural studies) at UTS

HSC Subjects: English Adv, English Ext 1, Art, Anc History, SOR I (46/50) and Cafs (93)

CHEAP Textbooks:
    Chemistry - success one 2006
    Economics - HSC Economics by Buultjens
    Senior Science - Dot Point 2007
    General Maths - 1st edition worked past papers w/answers
    IPT - success one - 2004-2005 edition, w/ 2006 exam and answers
    Creative Writing

Am tutoring and selling notes for all my subjects so hit me up if you're interested

HSC

To have enough documentation you would probably have had to be seeing a counsellor and your school would have had to have been made aware from the start you were having family difficulties over the past year. That's because you would need lots of documentation eg letters from a counsellor who knows how much it has affected your schooling and why, and then someone from your school like your principal would have to document how long they've known about the disadvantage and how much it has directly affected your schooling (compared to your performance before). If you havent been seeing a dr or counsellor and your school hasnt been aware of it, you'd have a hard time proving it.

Also, I don't think it would come under separation/divorce because your parents havent. You'd have to speak to someone from UAC or someone at your school I guess, I dont know how bad it is for you but be aware it needs to be extremely severe family disruption, not just parents fighting a lot.
    [myspace] [deviantART]

B Psych at Newcastle

HSC

does anyone know about EAS??

hi pplz well im tending to apply for Educational Access scheme but im not sure if ma situation is eligible or not.
    i suffered domestic violence from my step father and he's got AVO against me for 2years(end of yr 10 ~ year12 term1) from police.
    so ma family is getting special benefit which is family assistance from centrelink as noone can financially support ma family and ma parent are in process of divorce now.
    i couldn't concentrate on my study as so many things has happened and the domestic violence was quiet mentally traumatic.
    i have some police statements to prove it.
    do u guys think im eligible for the scheme???

HSC

Re: does anyone know about EAS??

Yes.

You should definitely apply - get your careers advisor/year coordinator to help you

HSC Courses: Extension 1 + 2 maths, Chemistry, Physics, Modern History and Advanced English
    ATAR aim: 99.00.... reached
    Uni Course:
    Civil Engineering @ UNSW. Timetable is here. Actually get a day off for once because of an awesome online general ed course

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

can you apply for EAS if you have a health care card(financially disadvantaged)?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by donthaveaname View Post
    can you apply for EAS if you have a health care card(financially disadvantaged)?
    Are you kidding? Hell no.

Btw, my friend's friend (not close) killed himself yesterday. My friend is.. 'mourning'. Same school, different grade. You reckon he can get EAS? I mean, if he can, that kinda means the rest of his school cohort can..

HSC

At the OP, you'll definitely be elgible. Have you been talking to your school counsellor or someone with credenitals (year advisor, head teachers etc)? You'll need them to be a witness to act as "proof" for your claim.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Without Wings; 11 May 2009 at 9:22 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate content

HSC

hey, tht was one of my options
    the careers advisor said yes def go for it, i would get it. but i ended up go for pathways splitting up my courses.
    there are many different options this is a good one. but if u r tht affected 5 added on to ur uai may not be enough.
    u will need the prinicipal and yr advisor to write omething im guessing and the police would need to write a statement to prove yeah she has gone through this. but u r def able to apply and i would say u would get it to.
    if u want, message me i might be able to help a lil bit more with it. always am willing to

as for namu, it is different with greiving, he would have to prove he was close to this person. weather it be fellow students teachers or parents. he would prob have to get a psyc assessment aswell. u have to state ur relationship with the person, so im guessing no everyone in tht yr wont be able to get it, but those close to the person will be able to.
    15/6/1986-27/5/2009 Dean James Tylor...my best friend, the trues friend I've had, and always in my mind.
    *suicide is never the answer*
    2/10/1988-11/11/2007 Megan Dalley...an older sister to us, a friend and a team mate, forever in my heart.
    *speeding kills people*

Cadet
    HSC

I've had real financial hardship in my life, particularly this year. As well as this I've been seeing Counsellors/Psychologists, even a Counsellor at school, for other problems. If I was to present documents supporting this from Counsellors and so on do you think it'd be enough to be able to be accepted for the scheme?

HSC

What do you guys think is more serious? A student on youth allowance or a parent declaring bankruptcy??
    SBHS '09
    Comm/LLB UNSW

HSC

hey would my case (serious illness to family member) be taken seriously? would i be likely to have my case accepted? it happened at the beginning of this year btw + financial problems?

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by simDS View Post
    hey would my case (serious illness to family member) be taken seriously? would i be likely to have my case accepted? it happened at the beginning of this year btw + financial problems?
    yep, as it occurred in the the middle of your hsc year they should be able to accept the reason. just make sure you have the appropriate documentation.

HSC

If you change your first preference to a course at another university with a lower UAI cut-off, you will not be considered for your UTS preferences.

inpUTS Educational Access Scheme : UTS Equity and Diversity

does this mean that if UTS is not your highest preference then you do not get educational access?
    "ill make it to the moon if i have to crawl..."

Bachelor of Political, Economic and Social Sciences (Government and International Relations)/ Bachelor of Laws USYD

pm me if you need a tutor for...
    history extension (48)
    modern history (96)
    ancient history (97)
    legal studies (93)
    art history (95)

HSC

Yeah offcourse, because you'll get an offer in one round and then you have the choice of accepting or not.. if you dont accept it and then there is another round and you get an offer AGAIN but at UTS, THEN you'll be considered and may get an offer in that round.

E.g. Early round you got an offer at MQ uni, but then when main round comes..you got one at UTS because you change your preferences again putting UTS ontop after early round change in preferences was released..therefore you will be considred and may get a UTS offer in main round

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by uac.aplcnt View Post
    Yeah offcourse, because you'll get an offer in one round and then you have the choice of accepting or not.. if you dont accept it and then there is another round and you get an offer AGAIN but at UTS, THEN you'll be considered and may get an offer in that round.

E.g. Early round you got an offer at MQ uni, but then when main round comes..you got one at UTS because you change your preferences again putting UTS ontop after early round change in preferences was released..therefore you will be considred and may get a UTS offer in main round
    So yeah

HSC

If you change your first preference to a course at another university with a lower UAI cut-off, you will not be considered for your UTS preferences.

inpUTS Educational Access Scheme : UTS Equity and Diversity

does this mean that if UTS is not your highest preference then you do not get educational access?
    Whoops, sorry I was "Wrong." Lol. I actually advised you of what would happen if you change your preference to a UTS preference and also applying for EAS scheme @ UTS against another uni offer.

But the right answer to your question is that if you change your preference at a uni either than uts in your top preferences then yes you WONT be eligible for their inpUTS EAS scheme. HOWEVER, if you are eligible for all EAS schemes, the other university that you got an offer for (if you did get one in a round) WILL ALLOW you to do EAS as mosts uni's accept people with a disadvantaged educational background.

You only can get the scheme based on the institutions policies and regulations regarding them.

BBC/LLB
    HSC

I just received a letter through UAC about EAS, and it says that they are currently assessing me as an elligable applicant for the EAS scheme. However I didn't even apply for it? What does this mean? I haven't sent any documents or anything yet. It says in the letter no action is required when reading this letter?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by schtrevey View Post
    I just received a letter through UAC about EAS, and it says that they are currently assessing me as an elligable applicant for the EAS scheme. However I didn't even apply for it? What does this mean? I haven't sent any documents or anything yet. It says in the letter no action is required when reading this letter?
    You probably go to a disadvantaged school. If you do, you automatically get considered - you don't have to fill anything in.

BBC/LLB
    HSC

Ok thanks, but I asked all my school mates but no one has received the letter but me.

HSC

and for next years HSC cohort, fuck wondering 'is this eligible or not', stop asking stupid questions and just submit it, you have nothing to lose and seriously, it only took me like 2 days to fill out all the forms and get all the letters and evidence etc. i was even missing some evidence they 'required' but they still accepted it (yay to +10 pts)

put everything and anything you can, most things are accepted and unless its over the top bs almost anything will pass and give you a slight advantage

hsc = game = play
    Last edited by Takuto; 11 Dec 2009 at 8:30 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information