Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: All you want to know about the Educational Access Scheme (EAS).

Rambling Spirit
    HSC

All you want to know about the Educational Access Scheme (EAS).

Educational Access Scheme (EAS)

I'd like to make a point that the EAS doesn't add any points to your published UAI, so recieving a UAI of 70 does not mean your published UAI will be 75, that's not how the EAS system works.

So first thing is first, the following listed Universities, all support the EAS scheme, some uni's may call it a different name like the University of Sydney calls it the 'Broadway Scheme':

-Australian Catholic University
    -Australian National University
    -Charles Sturt University
    -Macquarie University
    -Southern Cross University
    -University of Canberra
    -University of New England
    -University of New South Wales
    -University of Sydney
    -University of Technology Sydney
    -University of Newcastle
    -University of Western Sydney
    -University of Wollongong

So how does the the EAS System work?

In general, the EAS System for successful applicants allows a flexible entry into a desired course if you do not reach the UAI for the cut-off, but this flexible entry is only within or up-to 5 UAI off the cut-off, so for example i wanted to do Bachelor of Arts at University of Sydney, and the cut-off for that course this year was 85, and i achieved a UAI of 82, then you would have the chance to compete with all the other successful applicants under the EAS scheme to enter this course. Please don't think that ok i want to do Law at University of New South Wales, and i achieved a UAI of 95 and the cut-off was 99, and you were eligible for the EAS scheme, that you will be guranteed to get in, when they say it's up to 5 UAI around the cut-off it could be less, it depends the demand for that particular course, most participating unis only have 5% of places free'd up for EAS applicants, so you also have to compete for a place. For example Person A wants to do Bachelor of Information Technology at University of Western Sydney and Person B as well, and the cut-off for this course was 99, Person A achieves a UAI of 98 and Person B achieves a UAI of 97, they both are eligible for the EAS scheme, but because this course is so high demanding, most possibly the Uni, will only offer say 20 places for EAS applicants, so these 20 places still has to be competed based upon your UAI, so in this case Person A will be offered it over Person B. This is generally how the EAS System works, but for some Uni's it's different, for example University of Technology, Sydney, offers up to 10 UAI around the cut-off, but this is for particular courses, and probably some Uni's might offer more than 5% for EAS applicants.

Take a look at the following e-handbook for the EAS:

http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/eas.shtml

So how do i apply for EAS?

You can obtain a copy of the EAS booklet from your careers advisor around June - July, but remember it's also up to you to remind your careers advisor.
    You can also find the book online here: http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/eas.shtml
    The EAS application form is available online here: http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/eas.shtml

What do i require to be eligible for the EAS scheme?

Read through the EAS codes located in this e-handbook:

http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/eas.shtml

Generally you would require a few letters from principals, and friends who are close to you and who are certified, e.g. Doctors, Accountants, etc...

You would also require to provide evidential copy, and have a talk to your co-ordinator about it, because they do some of the filling out of the EAS application form.

So if i fulfill the requirements to apply for EAS does that mean i'm 100% guaranteed a placement for the EAS?

No. I think UAC is the people who read through all the provided documents and see if you are really eligible and see that all the given proof has actually caused a disadvantage during yr 11 and 12 studies. If you're qualified from UAC for the EAS, what happens is, now it's the Uni's to qualify you, generally only the Uni's you have listed for your Course preferences send you the letters about your accpetance for the EAS scheme, some Uni's might not offer it to you or some may, i know of some people getting an offer for University of Sydney ,and being rejected by University of Technology Sydney.

Personal Opinion towards applying for EAS:

My personal opinion towards any applicant is, don't have in mind "cool 5 UAI points i can scab", that's a bad attitude, UAC only accepts a number of EAS applicants, and don't you think it's a little unfair for the people who have had more serious traumar put towards them throughout the course of their HSC studies to have missed out on the EAS, For example death of a family member. It's not fair for the ones are naturally affected by such issues, to miss out a oppurtunity for the EAS scheme, because of the load of applicants who are in it for the extra pts because they "think" they are more disadvantaged than others.

So i hope this has answered all your questions about the Educational Access Scheme, you may PM me or post back if you have any questions, and to the people who are really disadvantage you should have a nice talk to your co-ordinator or careers advisor about the EAS.
    Last edited by Without Wings; 14 Apr 2009 at 6:24 PM.
    astroman likes this.

Cadet
    thankyou so much for that it was so helpfull, justa question when you say that you have to show that you were disadvantaged in years 11 or 12 what does that mean, and how would you go about proving it?

Rambling Spirit
    HSC
    Originally posted by snot
    thankyou so much for that it was so helpfull, justa question when you say that you have to show that you were disadvantaged in years 11 or 12 what does that mean, and how would you go about proving it?
    This depends on the ED Codes that you submit, it's in that guide i posted, for example if you had a family member past away during that period you might want an official person like a doctor to write you a letter as a proof.

Your friendly HSC guide Ragerunner's Avatar
    HSC
    Medical documents, written letter from the principal etc..
    B Science @ UNSW (Major in Psychology)

Cadet
    so a medical document would be enough to prove it?

Rambling Spirit
    HSC
    Originally posted by snot
    so a medical document would be enough to prove it?
    Yes that's correct. You don't need like thousands of pages of documents to prove to them that you were disadvantaged, as long as it's provided from an official person, who they can contact, and who is listed in that e-handbook i posted.

Cadet
    hey ive been looking into this and is true that the eas dosnt count for some subjects such as law

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    hmm but say if u had excess family responsibilities or disrupted schooling, how would u prove that?

Mohammed was a paedophile Calculon's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A
    If i do an engineering flexible first year and I want to get into a space engineering course after that, which UAI counts, the regular one or the EAS one?
    If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up because that cunt's a cunt - Tucker's Law

Rambling Spirit
    HSC
    Originally posted by Calculon
    If i do an engineering flexible first year and I want to get into a space engineering course after that, which UAI counts, the regular one or the EAS one?
    Your EAS one isn't even a UAI, it's just a flexible entry scheme, it's not recorded, you're logged as a disadvantaged student in the uni's records, that's all, as far as i heard the flexible engineering degree is based on your GPA in first year of it. So if your GPA sucks like monkeys you'll be constrained to only limited choice of selecting which specific part of engineering you'd like to take on.

I'll stab ya
    HSC
    N/A
    Is there a list where you can find out if your school is supported by the Priority Schools Funding Program

IMPORTANT!
    Can the universities apply the EAS to students even if the students do not apply for the EAS (ie. the student is not disadvantaged)?

I've heard that unis use the EAS to artificially keep their UAIs higher in the UAC book when in reality, if they can't fill a course, they can use the EAS to fill the course with lower uai's without making it public.
    Last edited by simon2004; 16 Sep 2004 at 5:39 AM.

HSC

Hey I cant figure out...

So My grandma has this massive heart attack a week before these holidays just gone and me spend all holidays waiting for her to die and looking after her and she isnt dead yet...gotta have an operation...v. stressful at home lots more responsoibilities very sad etc etc etc can i do anything with EAS because of that?
    Nothing I've learnt this year ismore important than what The Butterfly Effect taught me - PEOPLE FUCK UP! YOU CANT MAKE EVERYONES LIVES PERFECT! One day you'll wake up with no arms. Then your girlfriends brother will be a psycho. Then your mum has cancer. Then your girlfriend's a hooker. Then your girlfriend kills herself - thanks for nothing bored of studies

HSC
    remember all duplicate documents must be verified by the people listed on the application, dont risk the fact the application may be voided.
    Class of '03

"Natural essence comes in reality"

***HSC/Prelim BOOKS ON SALE!!! Look Here.***

cec

EAS scheme and uni entry

Apart from most of it, one thing that i REALLY dont understand is, are different people granted different levels of flexibility? say if one person was given 5 points, so to speak, and another was given only 3 points, and they both wanted to get into a course that was 97 and they both got 94, who would be most likely to get in?
    Do the universities know the exact circumstances for which students apply for elligibility?? Or is that kept confidential by UAC?
    I keep getting told different things and now im just too confused...

HSC
    if ur approved ur ranked in order with other eas applicants of uai ... ppl closest to the cutoff get in i think

PRINCE
    HSC

Exclamation wait yalla

ok i heard that if u pay a late fee to uac u can aplly for eas.. is that true...

HSC
    not anymore

HSC
    only to the uni.. some unis dont accept late apps..

i dno if u can stil apply ring them up

Premium Member
    HSC

Re: All you want to know about the Educational Access Scheme (EAS).

my EAS is Due this Friday (to my careers advisor for confidentiality statement thing), im not sure about what documentation i would have to include for home responsibilities, etc
    Now, BBusBscit @

HSC

A social worker or any other professional that can back your statement up of "Responsibilities" at home.

momentica-one.deviantart.
    HSC

hey guys for suppoprt for a divorce, do you think providing child support income statements is good ?
    2007 BMedSc Usyd
    2008 BArch UNSW
    m-one|architecturalBLOG.
    m-one|deviantART.

Cadet
    HSC

Re: EAS scheme and uni entry

So they release UAI late december. When do they inform applicants of being successful oo unsuccessful and to what degree?

HSC
    N/A

hey
    for the eas scheme i know i have to have a verified document from the accountant if i work in a family business. does that mean that the letter is typed in the letterhead of the accounatant? im inquiring this because the accountant typed the document on our business letter head and this seems wrong as it looks like sumthing that i could have easilty typed up.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by sanshi
    hey
    for the eas scheme i know i have to have a verified document from the accountant if i work in a family business. does that mean that the letter is typed in the letterhead of the accounatant? im inquiring this because the accountant typed the document on our business letter head and this seems wrong as it looks like sumthing that i could have easilty typed up.
    I think they would need to include their contact details for future reference.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information