Don't want to tell parents my atar (1 Viewer)

Foxyq

HSC
When applying for a course, will uni's want to contact your parents? I don't want my parents to find out my atar and was wondering if uni's will check with your parents first. How do you even go about applying for uni? What about paying fees? Would parents ever be able to find out your atar?

I finished my trials last term. I did shit. My entire internals assessments i've been going this whole year are shit. I don't know. Maths i'm averaging on 20%. Chemistry my average is 35%. Physics is 35%. Biology, business and English are in its 50s/60s. I've completed all my assessments, nothing left till the HSC now for me. Right now, my goal is that I just want to get into uni. My parents will be so disappointed. Depressed. Stressed, just hate my life right now. At this rate, I don't even know how I'm going to do the HSC. I just don't want my parents to find out.

Last edited:

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
ahahahaha dunno why you don't want your parents to find out about your atar :L
but anyways its not like high school, uni has nothing to do with your parents

Jimmy2064

HSC
Realistically, if you got an ATAR high enough to get into Uni, they really won't care in the long run.

Unless you have asian parents, then you're fucked.

Foxyq

HSC
They'll loose it if they find out the marks i'm getting right now. They think i've been doing excellent so far and have such high expectations of my atar. They have a lot of trust in me. They don't even ask for the paper when I get results back. They just ask how I went and I say, "I did great". So, it seriously would just break my heart if I tell them how bad i'm failing at life right now. I can't even think about what they'll think about when my atar comes cause they have such high expectations. :'(

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Just have hope and start studying, if you haven't already, for the HSC.
I've had a horrible year too so I know what its like, but right now there's nothing left for you to do but to keep studying and be as prepared as you possibly can be for the HSC exams

Jimmy2064

HSC
Ouch. But seriously, noone will care about your ATAR 2 months after it's released, even you're parents. It's just a university admissions entry rank, and means nothing more (employer's won't care either to an extent).

It's probably best to front up now, or you could lie about your atar once it's released (let's be honest, everyone I know has jacked it up a few points). But from what I know, your parents will never find out your ATAR unless you tell them (uni's won't disclose it to them).

Shadowless

HSC
They'll loose it if they find out the marks i'm getting right now. They think i've been doing excellent so far and have such high expectations of my atar. They have a lot of trust in me. They don't even ask for the paper when I get results back. They just ask how I went and I say, "I did great". So, it seriously would just break my heart if I tell them how bad i'm failing at life right now. I can't even think about what they'll think about when my atar comes cause they have such high expectations. :'(
Calm down. Hmm.. where do you think your ATAR lies? Have you received an estimate?

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I don't believe they contact you about your mark except UAC, after that all they do is probably send you a msg saying congrats for being accepted. Just keep working towards teh HSC pace the work and you should be fine :)

Foxyq

HSC
No I have no idea..but I do know my ranks and marks:

Business: 13/84 - 70%
Biology: 19/63 - 67%
Physics: 25/41 - 32%
Chemistry: 29/39 - 28%
Maths 2unit: 42/42 - 23% :'(
English Standard: 23/159 - 65%

What is the highest possible atar I can get with this?

And thanks for all the replies! I just hope I can get in the 60s to 70s, will that be possible if I completely smash the trials?

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
No I have no idea..but I do know my ranks and marks:

Business: 13/84 - 70%
Biology: 19/63 - 67%
Physics: 25/41 - 32%
Chemistry: 29/39 - 28%
Maths 2unit: 42/42 - 23% :'(
English Standard: 23/159 - 65%

What is the highest possible atar I can get with this?

And thanks for all the replies! I just hope I can get in the 60s to 70s, will that be possible if I completely smash the trials?
A school rank is needed.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Your parents will understand. Infact they will help you out in anyway possible to help you do the things you want to do.
However if you do end up not telling them your atar, you also get sent letters sent home with both your results and your atar, so you would want to keep an eye out for those as well.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Your parents will understand. Infact they will help you out in anyway possible to help you do the things you want to do.
However if you do end up not telling them your atar, you also get sent letters sent home with both your results and your atar, so you would want to keep an eye out for those as well.
He can choose to set it so he only receives it by email only?

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Asian parents are hard to predict, coming from one it comes down to face or compromise. But also the way they're brought up some like encouragement others like negative taunts in the hope that it'll make them study harder :/

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I know a person in my grade last year who lied about his ATAR to his parents. He clamied that he have an ATAR of mid 90s, which he was intending to study B.Radiography at USYD. However, he didn't made it since he only had a low 80s ATAR, which he only been offered B.Health Sciences at USYD.

His parents believed this and told everybody the reason he didn't made it into B.Radiography is because the demand was too high and the admission board picked people by random.

So... the moral, don't fake it, at some point they will truely know in the future, and I can certainly tell this guy will be in the deepest of shits soon.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're really willing to go to Uni, enroll at Insearch or SIBT, their admission is quite easy to get to, which you're able to tranfer into the course you want the next year.

Foxyq

HSC
I'm not too sure what the rank of my school is, I think it's in a 200s...

I guess i'll have to tell my parents eventually then :( Is it still possible for me to get an atar of at least 65? The course I wanna do has that cut off

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you're really willing to go to Uni, enroll at Insearch or SIBT, their admission is quite easy to get to, which you're able to tranfer into the course you want the next year.
I'd probably go to UWS over Insearch or SIBT tbh, doesn't cost as much and it's not hard to transfer after a year. Even if you don't get in, you are still already at a university and can just try again later. UTS is pretty good with credit recognition from what i've heard too, not sure about Macq but that's one of the heavily marketed things about Insearch - being able to transfer straight into second year if you perform well. The truth is university isn't like school, there are people doing subjects all over the place, people failing stuff, different majors, combined degrees. The only advantage to entering "straight into second year" (no such thing really) is that it means no subjects were wasted effort/time in the end. But even if your subjects aren't recognised one to one, they may give you credit for an elective.

Foxyq

HSC
I think the best option for me is for UWS. There's a course which offers Bachelor of computing(Information Systems) at a cut off of 66.65 and then I'll transfer after a year. How exactly do you do this though? Would you just apply for the degree normally and then apply again for the course that you wanted again after 12 months? I've been researching this and I read somewhere that at UWS, they take 25% of your atar and 75% of your university marks. Is this true?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)