A little clarification - ATAR (1 Viewer)

Czar-

HSC
N/A
I know there is some elaborate mathematics behind doing the 11 UNIT calculations for the ATAR, but frankly I have no clue...and well Maths was never my forte.

I do the following subjects:

Legal Studies
Business Studies
Adv English
Ext 1 and 2 English
SOR 1 UNIT
Modern History

I know for a fact that business studies is my weakest subject, internally I think I scraped about an 80 (perhaps a course overall ranking of about 25-30).
Now I hear if you do EXT 1 and 2 English the EXT 1 course gets counted as a 2 UNIT? Is this true? Or am I totally wrong?

Additionally, if I were to score the following (with hypothetical HSC marks) what would an ATAR estimate be? (CR = Course Ranking - internally, H = Estimated HSC non-scaled mark apart from EXT 1 and EXT 2)

Legal Studies
CR-2/42 H-90

Business Studies
CR-21/83 H-85

Modern History
CR-1/30 H-93

Adv English
CR-6/73 H-88

SOR 1
CR-2/8 H-92

Ext 1 English
CR-3/15 H-E3 (42)

Ext 2 English
CR-1/9 H-E3 (40)

Last edited:

simplyinsanity

HSC
I know there is some elaborate mathematics behind doing the 11 UNIT calculations for the ATAR, but frankly I have no clue...and well Maths was never my forte.

II know for a fact that business studies is my weakest subject, internally I think I scraped about an 80 (perhaps a course overall ranking of about 25-30).
Now I hear if you do EXT 1 and 2 English the EXT 1 course gets counted as a 2 UNIT? Is this true? Or am I totally wrong?
For atar estimate, particularly since your cohort is so small, providing a school rank will help.

When you have 11 units, they calculate your atar using your best ten. :)

Also, extension 1 and extension 2 english are counted as two seperate one-unit subjects. You mixed it up with 4 unit maths.

Czar-

HSC
N/A
For atar estimate, particularly since your cohort is so small, providing a school rank will help.

When you have 11 units, they calculate your atar using your best ten. :)

Also, extension 1 and extension 2 english are counted as two seperate one-unit subjects. You mixed it up with 4 unit maths.
Hey,

Sorry if I didn't make it clear - unless you meant that this was small...:S

Legal Studies
CR-2/42 H-90

Business Studies
CR-21/83 H-85

Modern History
CR-1/30 H-93

Adv English
CR-6/73 H-88

SOR 1
CR-2/8 H-92

Ext 1 English
CR-3/15 H-E3 (42)

Ext 2 English
CR-1/9 H-E3 (40)

That's rankings and desired aims for the HSC external exam.

And when you say best 10 how about if my worst is a 2UNIT course? Do they half it and add it with my best 1UNIT or something? And how do I find my schools ranking?

simplyinsanity

HSC
If your worst is a 2unit course, they take half of it. Eg worst mark = 70. It will be taken as a one-unit subject where you got 35.

There are links to school rankings on other BOS threads...

Czar-

HSC
N/A
If your worst is a 2unit course, they take half of it. Eg worst mark = 70. It will be taken as a one-unit subject where you got 35.

Okay, so if my external result is just say 82 after scaling it will be halved to 41?

Oh, and all I could dig up was that the Schools ranking was 320ish in 2011 - I doubt much changed.

Is there an estimate you have in mind?

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
I know for a fact that business studies is my weakest subject, internally I think I scraped about an 80 (perhaps a course overall ranking of about 25-30).

Additionally, if I were to score the following (with hypothetical HSC marks) what would an ATAR estimate be? (CR = Course Ranking - internally, H = Estimated HSC non-scaled mark apart from EXT 1 and EXT 2)
This is totally incorrect.

If you do 3u english and 4u english you still must do the advanced english paper. (not sure if anyone would do standard with 4u), anyways yeahh ext1 and ext2 english are counted as 1 unit each.

Czar-

HSC
N/A
This is totally incorrect.

If you do 3u english and 4u english you still must do the advanced english paper. (not sure if anyone would do standard with 4u), anyways yeahh ext1 and ext2 english are counted as 1 unit each.
I think you misread my question. I know that ADV English is a prerequisite for EXT 1 and 2...but you answered what I wanted to know in the second half of your statement :)

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
I think you misread my question. I know that ADV English is a prerequisite for EXT 1 and 2...but you answered what I wanted to know in the second half of your statement :)
:)

Yeah it's different to 4u mathematics, with 4u maths 3u is no longer counted as a 1 unit subject, but counted as a 2 unit subject. (they assume you'd get a b6 in 2u maths)

D94

HSC
N/A
Okay, so if my external result is just say 82 after scaling it will be halved to 41?

Oh, and all I could dig up was that the Schools ranking was 320ish in 2011 - I doubt much changed.

Is there an estimate you have in mind?

It's a bit more elaborate than that. UAC determines your ATAR. They do not just half your final HSC mark. They take into account your raw HSC exam mark and your moderated assessment mark. An aggregate mark is determined and whichever combination gives you a higher aggregate, that will be used to determine your ATAR. This is where scaling occurs to determine which subjects, relative to other subjects, delivers your best 10 units.

Czar-

HSC
N/A
That is correct.

I would estimate (from your ranks) 93-95.
Thank you.
I'm really aiming for an ATAR of a 90. I really hope I achieve that...I'm in amidst my trials at the moment and needless to say I'm doubting my ability already.

On another note, if anyone else has any hypotheticals with regards to an estimation please don't be afraid to share.

Thanks everyone.

It's a bit more elaborate than that. UAC determines your ATAR. They do not just half your final HSC mark. They take into account your raw HSC exam mark and your moderated assessment mark. An aggregate mark is determined and whichever combination gives you a higher aggregate, that will be used to determine your ATAR. This is where scaling occurs to determine which subjects, relative to other subjects, delivers your best 10 units.
So would they do some funky calculation with regards to another 1UNIT of mine?

So just say I do two 1UNITs - I get 92 and 85 respectively (unmoderated/unscaled) and my lowest subject (which is a 2UNIT) gets 83 in the external HSC exam (unmoderated/unscaled) what will happen?

Last edited:

simplyinsanity

HSC
Oops. Sorry, it wasn't meant to sound like that. :-/ I was just meaning that UAC will treat the bottom 2 unit subject as a 1 unit subject and from there get the ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)