HSC
This is my friends marks after Trials:

Chemisty: 48/100
Biology: 70/100
English ADvanced: 60/105
Maths 2u: 56/100
Maths Ext 1: 45/70
SOR 1U: 35/50

He really likes to study medicine, anywhere! He is really worried that his trial marks may impact his Atar, he is aiming for 95 Atar.

These are his previous ranks ( Half-yearly):

Chemisty: 7/16
Biology: 14/45
English ADvanced: 40/50
Maths 2u: 4/15
Maths Ext 1: 4/7
SOR 1U: 10/56

Do you think he could still get a band 6 in each subject! If yes, how would he need to study effectively for each subject?

Does he still have hope of getting 95 Atar or above 90?

For what subjects could he still get a band 6 for, if he stills work hard? Is it even possible, if yes for which subjects?

He works really hard, but just bad in trials and some assignments, does this mean he can't get a band 6.

Thanks guys, could you please post up you answers here to the quetsions and provide some effective tips for his subjects!:tongue:

Hypem

HSC
We all know it's you Omed, there's no need to say they're your friend's marks.

Anyway, using the raw mark database and an ATAR calculator here's your estimate:

jaycoo50

HSC
We all know it's you Omed, there's no need to say they're your friend's marks.

Anyway, using the raw mark database and an ATAR calculator here's your estimate:

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

Could you please answer all the other questions above, please My friend is worried, is it still possible if he got get an Atar of 90 above.

I would be very happy to hear from you,

many thanks from me.

Last edited:

Hypem

HSC
This is my friends marks after Trials:

Do you think he could still get a band 6 in each subject! If yes, how would he need to study effectively for each subject?
Biology and MX1 are possible, probably not the others though

Does he still have hope of getting 95 Atar or above 90?
95 isn't likely, 90 is possible though

For what subjects could he still get a band 6 for, if he stills work hard? Is it even possible, if yes for which subjects?
See above

He works really hard, but just bad in trials and some assignments, does this mean he can't get a band 6.

Thanks guys, could you please post up you answers here to the quetsions and provide some effective tips for his subjects!:tongue:
/

Hypem

HSC
could you please explain, bro

please answer them, if you think I am omed, its ok if you do. I will pretend to be omed.
I did, look inside the quote

Also when I say 'possible' you have to ace the externals to get it

jaycoo50

HSC
I did, look inside the quote

Also when I say 'possible' you have to ace the externals to get it
what mark would he need in HSC, to get a band 6 for other subjects. he is very worried if he doesn't get 95 Atar, since am aiming for med. is it possible somehow if I do really well in HSC exam.

Is a high band 5 possible for the rest of the subjects. I mean like 87 in chem, 88 in maths 2u, 85 in English Advanced. Please explain, he is very worried.

Last edited:

Hypem

HSC
what mark would I need in HSC, to get a band 6 for other subjects. he I am very worried ( I am pretending to be Omed) if I don't get 95 Atar, since I am aiming for med. is it possible somehow if I do really well in HSC exam.
Chemistry as an example, 48/100 is about 78 or so aligned. It varies quite a bit from year to year though, so if that was an easy test and you got that, expect low-mid 70s aligned.
Assuming 78 is accurate, you could expect around that for your assessment mark. As you can see a Band 6 is impossible - even getting 100 would still only get you 89 HSC overall.

If we assume that your trials are basically going to be your assessment marks, and if you aced externals with 100 in every subject:

English Advanced: 79 assessment 100 exam = 90 (Band 6)
Chemistry: 78 assessment 100 exam = 89 (Band 5)
Maths: 76 assessment 100 exam = 88 (Band 5)
MX1: 88 assessment 100 exam = 94 (Band 6)
Biology: 86 assessment 100 exam = 93 (Band 6)
SOR I: 80 assessment 100 exam = 90 (Band 6)

= 96.65 ATAR

and that's with acing externals with 100 aligned in everything
your chances of 95 are very slim

jaycoo50

HSC
Chemistry as an example, 48/100 is about 78 or so aligned. It varies quite a bit from year to year though, so if that was an easy test and you got that, expect low-mid 70s aligned.
Assuming 78 is accurate, you could expect around that for your assessment mark. As you can see a Band 6 is impossible - even getting 100 would still only get you 89 HSC overall.

If we assume that your trials are basically going to be your assessment marks, and if you aced externals with 100 in every subject:

English Advanced: 79 assessment 100 exam = 90 (Band 6)
Chemistry: 78 assessment 100 exam = 89 (Band 5)
Maths: 76 assessment 100 exam = 88 (Band 5)
MX1: 88 assessment 100 exam = 94 (Band 6)
Biology: 86 assessment 100 exam = 93 (Band 6)
SOR I: 80 assessment 100 exam = 90 (Band 6)

= 96.65 ATAR

and that's with acing externals with 100 aligned in everything
your chances of 95 are very slim
so what does align mean, does it depend on the difficult of the exam. How do you get 100 align, what raw mark in HSC exam would align to 100.

Last edited:

NizDiz

HSC
With those ranks, what are the chance of getting a 92-93 atar. What external marks would person need for 92-93 atar based on internal marks?

moocow920

HSC
so what does align mean, does it depend on the difficult of the exam. How do you get 100 align, what raw mark in HSC exam would align to 100.
Aligning is basically the process by which raw exam marks are moved or aligned to create the final exam mark. So for example if you got a raw mark of 50/100 in chemistry in your HSC exam, this may be aligned to say 70/100 due to chemistry being a difficult exam. This means that in difficult subjects such as chemistry where getting 90/100 in the actual exam is very rare, a reasonable amount of people will still get a band 6 due to their marks being aligned. So your raw mark of for example 50/100 may be aligned to for example 70/100, and the 70/100 would become your exam mark, which would be averaged with your school assessments mark (which will also have been adjusted due to your cohorts overall performance) to give your final overall mark and band, which is used to calculate your atar.

It is impossible to say what raw mark would align to 100 as it changes from subject to subject from year to year, but if you search this site for the raw mark database you can see what people on these forums got, their raw marks and what those raw marks aligned to which might help you work out an estimate.

Thats not a perfect explanation of aligning but thats basically how I understand it. Keep in mind that with your current results and ranks, getting an aligned mark of 100 is theoretically possible but very unlikely in most of your subjects. and as shown by Hypem your aligned marks are averaged with your school assessment marks, therefore if your school assessments mark was say 72, even if you got 100 aligned, the highest final mark you could get would be (72+100)/2 which is 86 (not a band 6)

moocow920

HSC
Do school (internal) marks get aligned at all?
its not exactly the same as aligning but its like ok so the board of studies cant really trust your school marks, because every school marks differently right, so all they can really 'trust' is the externals, because thats an even playing field and different schools can be compared. So say if your school assessment mark was 85, but everyone including you in your cohort performed better in externals than their school assessment marks, that shows that maybe your school marked harder, so your cohorts marks might get moved up a bit, so your school assessment mark might become 88. So now you have a school assessment mark of 88, and your exam mark aligned to say 94, those are averaged together and you get your final mark of 91.

jaycoo50

HSC
its not exactly the same as aligning but its like ok so the board of studies cant really trust your school marks, because every school marks differently right, so all they can really 'trust' is the externals, because thats an even playing field and different schools can be compared. So say if your school assessment mark was 85, but everyone including you in your cohort performed better in externals than their school assessment marks, that shows that maybe your school marked harder, so your cohorts marks might get moved up a bit, so your school assessment mark might become 88. So now you have a school assessment mark of 88, and your exam mark aligned to say 94, those are averaged together and you get your final mark of 91.
hey "moocow920" thanks for you input, I have some questions if you could please answer them, I am very worried that I won't get 95 Atar, please help me and tell me exactly if I can still get a 95 atar, is it going to be possible, how do you think I should study for each of my subjects:

Say for maths 2u/Ext1, what do you think would be the best study method, i know past papers, but how should you approach doing past papers. SHould I just started doing millions of past HSC papers from now on and hopefully I get a band 6.

My cohort isn't that good, but just average especially in maths and english advanced. would just prevent me from getting a band 6, you could see my ranks above.

also, when I apply through UAC, say what would be alternative pathways to get me into medicine. If I wanted to apply for advanced science in UNSW, do I just apply through UAC only.

do you thiunk I could make it into medicine this next year 2014.

moocow920

HSC
I don't do either of those subjects but I would mainly advise to first establish that you understand the concepts and know formulas if necessary, and then do a lot of past hsc papers, trial papers, and textbook questions, making sure you do them TO TIME and under exam conditions.

Your cohort will not effect the top ranked people, but looking at your ranks I would say that yes it will limit your ability to get a band 6 to some extent. It doesn't make it impossible but it definitely is a limiting factor.

In terms of applying to uni, anything like UNSW, USYD, Macquarie, UTS you just apply through UAC, but some courses may require extra steps such as a test, portfolio, STAT, UMAT etc which you can find out through the UAC guide or by looking at the course details on that universities website. For interstate you need QTAC but I personally don't know about that. google it or ask your school careers advisor

As for whether you could make it into med, I don't know because I don't know you and I am not interested in med so I don't know a lot about admissions, but looking at your result so far and knowing that med is very competitive I doubt it. Its not impossible, never say never, but realistically I would be looking into alternate pathways.

shongaponga

HSC
what mark would he need in HSC, to get a band 6 for other subjects. he is very worried if he doesn't get 95 Atar, since am aiming for med. is it possible somehow if I do really well in HSC exam.

Is a high band 5 possible for the rest of the subjects. I mean like 87 in chem, 88 in maths 2u, 85 in English Advanced. Please explain, he is very worried.
lol

jaycoo50

HSC
I don't do either of those subjects but I would mainly advise to first establish that you understand the concepts and know formulas if necessary, and then do a lot of past hsc papers, trial papers, and textbook questions, making sure you do them TO TIME and under exam conditions.

Your cohort will not effect the top ranked people, but looking at your ranks I would say that yes it will limit your ability to get a band 6 to some extent. It doesn't make it impossible but it definitely is a limiting factor.

In terms of applying to uni, anything like UNSW, USYD, Macquarie, UTS you just apply through UAC, but some courses may require extra steps such as a test, portfolio, STAT, UMAT etc which you can find out through the UAC guide or by looking at the course details on that universities website. For interstate you need QTAC but I personally don't know about that. google it or ask your school careers advisor

As for whether you could make it into med, I don't know because I don't know you and I am not interested in med so I don't know a lot about admissions, but looking at your result so far and knowing that med is very competitive I doubt it. Its not impossible, never say never, but realistically I would be looking into alternate pathways.
thanks once again,

Every knows me here, you should know man, I hope I could get at least 3 band 6's. I will try my best to ace the HSC exams, I have a feeling I will get 94 atar,

hopefully, I can get into med, I applied through QTAC, I will see what happens. I also applied to all med schools in NSW and Queensland,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)